Show your GK Guitar

Started by Virtual Tone, February 22, 2008, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davor

How do I add a photograph ?  Davor

A2theT

Ibanez RG-540P
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

jageya

my newest

A2theT

Quote from: jageya on February 23, 2008, 05:41:42 PM
my newest

very nice! did you do the work yourself?   

If so, I'd appreciate any comments/gotcha's etc that you have regarding the installation.

The reason I ask is, I'm building a guitar right now and have the body completely cut out and have started routing out the neck slot.
I wont be doing any routing for tradional pickups so it will be stricktly a VG-Guitar.   Maybe thats a bad idea......Who knows but I thought I'd try it.
I want to order the GK-Kit soon.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Elantric

dAVOR WROTE:

"How do I add a photograph ? "

After you hit "reply"

Look on the lower left, and click

Additional Options...

then

Attach:

and browse your HDD for your JPG pic of your guitar.

then look at the bottom and  click

"Post"

Canis Testicastor

This is my "Dogs B.......ks" guitar,  the CANIS TESTICASTOR

Floyd rose->GK3->PAF(Humbucker"19722)->SPole->SUSTANIAC Driver->Locked Nut

XISTH information

XISTH information

That's an awsome looking guitar you're got there !

Quote from: Canis Testicastor on February 24, 2008, 08:50:14 AM
This is my "Dogs B.......ks" guitar,  the CANIS TESTICASTOR

Floyd rose->GK3->PAF(Humbucker"19722)->SPole->SUSTANIAC Driver->Locked Nut

XISTH information

Washburn KC-100, c1989. Maple, through neck, Seymour Duncans S-S-H, individual pickup switches, H coil tap, mid boost.

Virtual Tone

Here's my latest one!

Tradition G12 Fat Strat style.

Clean job!

XISTH information

Is this a factory GK job ?

-----------------------
Here's my latest one!

Clean job!

feloniouspunk

Here's my baby.  Its a Godin LGX-SA AAA.  Its has the L.R. Baggs piezo and Seymour Duncan Custom Humbuckers.

Lots of Gear. :)

Virtual Tone

Quote from: XISTH information on March 15, 2008, 10:12:52 AM
Is this a factory GK job ?

-----------------------
Here's my latest one!

Clean job!

This was done by my tech guy here in Florida.  I bought the Tradition G12 NEW for $215.  It's comparible to a $700 plus guitar.
Then I bought the GK Kit for $230.  Then had it installed. ;)

V.T.

EJROCKS

Hey Jageya,  I love that guitar.  Can u get it with a floyd rose trem?  Where can I order one?

Elantric

Moonies

Apologies for bringing up a real old thread but this seemed most appropriate. I had a similar need and already owned a nice Travel Guitar that worked and served me well. Here goes. For now I did the install in the most non-intrusive manner but next I intend to use the approach Hammerman recently demonstrated on his Steinberger and move the wart inside... If you need a quick install with minimal fuss this approach works well on these guitars. Cheers.

Meltdown

This is my Brutus
Photo taken in the music shop where i work.

Completely hand build.
Ebony fretboard.
Scalloped fretboard fret 17 to 24.
Comfortable arm rest.
GK electronics build in.
Fernandes sustainer (Not visible on this older photo)
Emg pickups and 20db boosting pot.
Kahler bridge and fast clamping system.
Fender rolling bearings top nut.
Unique Neck tilting system, not only back and forth but i can also tilt the neck along the length axis.
I adjusted the fretboard so it is tilted away from me so i don't see the fretboard while i'm playing.
I play with all 4 fingers so that way i don't have to break my wrist to do so.

Visit my website!
http://www.tachyonmusic.com

feloniouspunk

That is an awesome guitar for sure.  What is that spot above the pickup selector from?

Meltdown

Glad you like it :)
It's not a spot but a reflection.
The finish of the guitar is really shiny, hard to take pictures of it without reflections.
Click on the photo to see it up close.

Visit my website!
http://www.tachyonmusic.com

feloniouspunk

Ah yes, now I see that it is indeed light reflecting on the finish.   :-[

Earthworm

My brand new Carvin SH575--Graphtech midi pickup

mech

Okay, Sorry if this comes out a bit big, but I'm posting this as a request made in another topic.  Attached here is a photo of my FrankenVox, taken from the set I did this past October for the Y2k7 Loopfest in Santa Cruz, CA.  The guitar itself is actually in storage back in the States (awaiting shipment to me here in Japan), or else I'd have new and better photos to post.  Hopefully you can see some of the detail here.

You can also see a bit of this gig on YouTube at:

Some background:  This was originally a vintage Vox Tempest XII electric 12-string.  I decided I wasn't getting enough use out of it as stock, so I should sell it or do something fun.  Since I hate to let go of gear, I opted for the "something fun".  ;D

First, I had it de-fretted, so it is completely fretless.  I then had my luthier retrofit a GK-3 by the bridge.  It's now strung as an 11-string, and tuned to Arabian Oud tuning (DGADGC), so it's the equivalent of an Electric Oud with a GK pickup. 

You can't see it quite so much, but my guitar tech cut a custom wooden plate to mount the GK next to the bridge.  Worked very well.  Makes up for the brass nut he ruined (and replaced with a plastic one) while trying to file it down and lower the action.

Other tweaks include a 5-position pickup selector (the Tempest XII comes stock with only a 3-position switch), and I replaced the factory mags with stacked DiMarzio's (primarily to cut down on noise).  It's still got the factory tremolo, although I rarely use it since that's a sure-fire way to throw the tuning out of whack.  The factory "string mute" I had removed, since the rubber portions had long since hardened into crumbly uselessness.

Any more questions for show-&-tell, just throw 'em at me.  I'll be happy to provide any more requested details.

--m.
_____
GK Guitars: Frankenvox (fretless Vox 11-string GK Oud); Switch Innovo III MIDI; Line 6 Variax 300
VG Tech: VG-99 (x2); VG-8EX; WP-20g
Control: FC-300, EV-5, FS-6
Outboard: Macbook (Live, Bidule, Reaktor, etc), Looperlative LP-1, various boutique FX

vanceg

So, this is a low quality photo, but I've been meaning to post SOMETHING to this thread for a long time.

This is my custom-body, psudo-ergonomic (modeled generally off the Klein guitar), graphite neck (Moses graphite), 6 ouptut guitar.  The humbuckers you see there are 1980's Bartolini Hex pickups. The guitar has a set of three stereo ouptuts (1 out for each string) The 6 small toggle switches are pickup selectors for each string so you can choose (for example) the neck pickup for one string and the bridge pickup for another.  As odd as that may sound, it is a VERY VERY powerful feature - Akin to the VG-99's ability to tilt pickups at extreme angles.  The V-Bass, it just so happens, allows you to select the pickup location on a per-string basis, and that is really nice...a feature I wish the VG-99 had. Again, it doesn't sound that powerful until you start to use it - you can select the pickups based on the chord voicings you are going to use and you get chords that ring out sooooo very beautifully. Anyway - using a bizarre 12 pole 6 throw rotary switch (from an airospace company, no less) this guitar can be setup to have individual outputs for each string, Stereo with a L/R/L/R/L/R split, stereo with L/L/L/R/R/R split, or mono out.  However, I don't really use the magnetic pickups any more now that the VG-99 is here.  These were for the time when I was trying to program a VG-99 in the laptop and use my own contraption instead of using a VG-88 (the then-current model).
Then the VG-99 came along ;-)
The body is designed to fit me well while I sit. Balance is excellent standing, too. 
The bass version (which I can put a picture of up soon) has Piezo pickups in the neck to pickup noises from the fretboard and bowing that I do.

more soon!

Vance

feloniouspunk

Very interesting, now I have many questions.  But its getting late in chicago and I am beginning  to nod at the computer, especially after zoning out to your vids.   ;D

kenc

Recently aquired Brian Moore 8.13

Got a great deal on ebay paid $552

I am still tweaking the action but I like it so far.....