Kemper Profiling amp- "amp clone" beyond modeling!

Started by RicardoLove, March 02, 2011, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RicardoLove

;D  YOU WISH YOU HAD THIS!  :D
email: ricardolovemedia@gmail.com
demo web site: http://www.reverbnation.com/rlove
GR-55 demos http://www.soundcloud.com/ricardolove
For hire Music Producer/Remixer

sixeight

Very cool. Being able to capture any amp is fantastic. Pity it won't capture effects.

This is getting closer to the ideal guitareffect which would have an open structure, where you can upload your own custom effects and share them with others. So far only a laptop with VST's will do that.

onemoreguitar

Quote from:  Elantric
If only it sounded as impressive as the  the marketing

Ditto to that.

Sounds like complete rubbish.  It ain't gonna be cheap either.  Save your money and buy and Axe-FX or even the II.  At worst it would be in the same price range and possibly a bit cheaper.  Otherwise just stick with your VG.... most likely better amp models, more effects, (insert all other features)  A number of experts on the subject have said definitively that what Kemper is doing, modelling wise, has absolutely no chance of capturing an accurate model of a tube amp.  Cliff of Fractal Audio tried using this same method when he first started developing the Axe-FX and concluded very early on that it wouldn't work.  Not completely ruling out that Kemper hasn't discovered some secret, anything is possible, but I ain't holding my breath.  If what you're looking for is non guitar amp sounds, then go for your life.  I have no doubt it excels at that. 

RogerGLewis

I had started a new topic but was reminded to check for topics already on the same subject. I think this is a great product concept and its implementation as they are delivered will be very interesting I plan on buying one so i'll do a demo when I get my hands on one.

Elantric

Try before you buy.

8 months ago when I played thru the Kemper Profiling amplifier at the Winter NAMM show, it was not ready for prime time yet.

Your mileage may vary.

EDIT: At the 2012 Winter NAMM Show Kemper finally demonstrated a good sounding KPA

sheguitarplayer

Spoke to the guys at the Guitar store Southampton yesterday. Axefx and eleven rack users, they are 'very excited' about the demo Kemper amp they have in the store.

Elantric

MCK

Elantric

Just a heads up,

I'm the new owner of a Kemper Profiling Amp. It's still on the FedEx truck and will not be here until mid next week, but based upon friend recommendations, and various youtube demos - what difference a year makes in their progress with the KPA.

The VG-99 and GR-55 remain unique processors, and my interest in those remains high, but lately I need earthy organic touch responsive tube amp behavior from my live rig, as I branch beyond simply playing 1962 era surf tunes in my new band.

Elantric

This clip sold me

Nashville Matchless

A2theT

$1850 at Sweetwater.  Be cool to find a "Group Buy" somewhere  ;)
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

LeeMorant

I'm still trying to find one on demo in Norfolk, I'm gonna prob try and get the black version because i'm a tart. :P

jburns

wow! i love how it looks likes its from the future and makes the dimension warp sounds when copying. thats unreal. I'm confused on whats taking place a bit. in some of the vids theres no input only the headphone out being used and in others vice versa (guessing theres a back panel interface I'm not seeing). essentially you would mic an amp but can you use a send or out from the amp to profile it as well? & if so pros/cons to each method? what about pedals before input?- like after you have profiled you then want a chorus or pitch bend or etc, would that alter the tone in a negative way? being pretty clueless as to whats going on, in order to "profile" the kpa would have to have similar gain types and eqs to copy them, if thats how its working ,so would you be able to make tones with only the unit itself like building from an empty patch? I'm also curious about this copying method being done one guitar and then playing that profiled sound played on one with different pups considering it would respond quite differently then two guitars a/b'ed on a normal amp.
gtr out->kpa->vg gtr input -- obvious setup. would the kpa do justice on a full range speaker system?
im shocked he didn't bull on the preamp question as every other company would have, and was very honest to admit you can't eq the actual amp the same way. altho i find that has far greater potential allowing to further tweak an amp in ways in the original cannot.

Charles5150

Very, very impressive demos  :o

What a band Electric Funeral, the singer is amazing.

I've been using the compressor-after-amp trick for years, both in VG99 and 100% analog rigs to equal clean and dirty volumes, on the Matchless demo it sounded absolutely beautiful !

I'm sold, here in Europe the price is almost half the AxeFxII...

mbenigni

The Kemper is making me totally irrational.  Must... resist...

montyrivers

This thing is cool to be sure.  I love the space ship noises during the amp cloning process.  The price tag makes my eyes bleed, though. 

Elantric

A good overview of the KPA is here

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/705723-kemper-profiling-amplifier.html

Re Group Buy - contact our Group Buy Dealer  for best price (PM me for info)

mbenigni

@monty, the price does give pause, especially when I consider that there will inevitably be an improved version available in a year or two.

Still, possibly the most desirable piece of equipment I've seen in years.

Jim Williams

This is a cool peice of tech but I would rather have a Masa Boogie Mark V with a good rack effect in the loop if I was to go back to lugging around a big amp again.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

mbenigni

Quote from: Jim Williams on March 26, 2012, 10:59:44 AM
This is a cool peice of tech but I would rather have a Masa Boogie Mark V with a good rack effect in the loop if I was to go back to lugging around a big amp again.

Hard to argue with a Mark V, but the "lugging a big amp" argument is n/a.  The Kemper itself weighs about 10lbs.  (Although you'll still need powered speakers of some sort, if I understand correctly.) 

The beauty of this (if it's all it's cracked up to be) is it's an alternative to lugging around dozens of big amps.  That's been the promise of modeling since day 1, of course, but this is alledgedly a major step forward fidelity-wise.

Bill Ruppert

To me the beauty is recording a direct signal that is indistinguishable from a mic-ed up amp.

mbenigni

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 26, 2012, 11:13:44 AM
To me the beauty is recording direct signal that is indistinguishable from a mid-ed up amp.

You see, I read something like this and it makes me totally irrational.  Be still my beating MasterCard LOL.

Elantric

Quote$1850 at Sweetwater.  Be cool to find a "Group Buy" somewhere

Just have to do what most pro's do -

Instead of clicking "buy it now"  - just pick up the phone and  negotiate your own best deal from a Kemper dealer. 

Luckily my favorite place to do business sells these too.