Line6 Variax or Roland GK

Started by ALOfYRSnfWhres, August 23, 2017, 05:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALOfYRSnfWhres

Guys whats is more stable system? im planning to install roland gk to my guitar for different tunings, also looking for tronical tuners

thank you for help and suggestion guys

Rhcole

Don't know what you are asking by "stable" solution. Neither is particularly unstable unless you are talking the mounting of the GK3...?

What are you trying to find out?

myksara

I am using GR55 for last 5 years and the gk is very stable as long as you take care of it well. Always keep an extra gkc cable and take care that you don't stamp on it mid gig such that it snaps out of the gk3.
GK system is super silent and noise free even on very high gain stuff.
I had a variax 300 and then a jtv variax. Didn't quite like the neck and tones conpared to what i get using a gr55 or even better gp10. With the gk3, you can still use your favorite guitar as long as it fits on one...and it does fit on almost all strats and les pauls.
I never liked the line 6 PODs which are ideal companions (but not necessary) for variax and always prefer BOSSS/ROLAND gear.
But both jtv and gk gear have their own pros and cons so it really depends on what your intended live scenario is
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Smash

You can go wireless with the Variax  ;)

Elantric

Quote from: Smash on August 24, 2017, 02:29:48 AM
You can go wireless with the Variax  ;)

Or Antares ATG internal Kit

Quotewhats is more stable system?

Since its collecting dust at the moment - the Variax as it has not had any updates in years

Meanwhile I use my GP-10 a lot the past few years  - its more versatile and superior sounding vs Variax

Antares ATG-1 remains tops for on the fly foot controlled  alt tuning, string panning, Guitar modeling during songwriting feeding an AxeFX   

If you want Synth tones and make sounds no other guitar processor can make - use the GK-3 and 13 pin interface  into VG-99, GR-55 

GuitarBuilder

I have all four (Variax, GK, ATG, Tronical) and I think the answer is: it depends!

If you like to have the strings physically at the correct alternate tuning, Tronical is the answer.  I like it for my acoustic guitars, because my brain has a hard time dealing with string sounds that are not the same as the amplified ones.  And with acoustic guitars I never get to a volume level that drowns them out.  So Tronical it is for acoustic guitar alternate tunings.

Electrics are a different story altogether.  Of the three solutions (Variax, GK, ATG) I feel the ATG is the hands-down winner for alternate tunings.  GK and Variax have all kinds of issues and artifacts that only a tone deaf person would ignore.  So ATG it is for electric guitar alternate tunings.

That leaves the modeling, which is also a mixed bag!  With Variax and GK you have a wide range of options, particularly if you pair the Variax with Helix.  I love the GP-10, VG-99, and GR-55 sounds as well.  It's going to depend on what kind of music you like to play.  One thing is for sure: the ATG models are more limited and not tweakable.  So Variax or GK it is for modeling.

I couldn't decide on one, so I got all four...... ;D ;D
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Kevin M

The Roland systems are pretty darn good, IMO. Hard to go wrong with a VG-99, but the GP-10 is an excellent portable unit. All systems have their flaws and I've found the best alternate turnings come about by using the actual guitar tuners! I've been playing around with DADGAD recently and used the old school technique in place of modeling. For simple Drop-D, the modeling is good enough.