Katana Head Sneaky MIDI PCs and CCs

Started by wildfishie, July 26, 2017, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildfishie

Hi friends. My Katana Head Head will arrive in Brazil straight from Germany, probably in 3 or 4 weeks. I already have a Roland FC-300 MIDI controller which I'd like to test with it. I've recently found the extensive Katana MIDI chart on the Midx-20 page (http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_Katana.pdf) and got very excited about the possibilities. I was wondering if anybody has successfully made any MIDI controller work with the PC and CC codes of the extensive MIDI chart. Does anyone else here also have an FC-300?

Idgolfguy

With the MIDX-20, the FC-300 will work well wth some programming.

wildfishie

Wouldn't the FC-300 work connected straight to the head? I mean, is the MIDX-20 required for regular midi controllers to work with the head?

CodeSmart

Quote from: wildfishie on July 27, 2017, 03:57:49 PM
Wouldn't the FC-300 work connected straight to the head? I mean, is the MIDX-20 required for regular midi controllers to work with the head?
You may connect a FC-300 directly to the Kat head and control:
* Patch (1-5)
* FX1 on/off
* FX2 on/off
* FX3 on/off
* Effect loop switch

With the MIDX in between the FC and the USB connector of any Katana model, you get these extended possibilities:
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_Katana.pdf

How it works?
The MIDX translates each designated CC# to special SysEx messages and also captures special SysEx messages that the Katana sends out in real time.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

wildfishie

Thank you for the info.
On the other hand it's frustrating to know that an expensive unit such as the FC-300 (by Roland!?!) is unable to send those SysEx messages by itself and requires a third-party device to work more efficiently with a Boss (Roland) product.

tuquoque

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 27, 2017, 04:28:30 PM
* Patch (1-5)
* FX1 on/off
* FX2 on/off
* FX3 on/off
* Effect loop switch

With the MIDX in between the FC and the USB connector of any Katana model, you get these extended possibilities:
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_Katana.pdf

How it works?
The MIDX translates each designated CC# to special SysEx messages and also captures special SysEx messages that the Katana sends out in real time.

I have Boss MS3 and Katana head. I have learnt to switch the patches with progran changes, but how do I switch efffect and loop on and off?

wildfishie

I believe you must use "Control Changes" instead of "Program Changes".

Here's the chart:
FX1 (BOOSTER(A)+MOD(B)) BYPASS = CC#16 (0-63 OFF, 64-127 ON)
FX2 ((DELAY(A)+FX(B)) BYPASS = CC#17 (0-63 OFF, 64-127 ON)
FX3 (REVERB) BYPASS = CC#18 (0-63 OFF, 64-127 ON)
EFFECT LOOP SW = CC#19 (0-63 OFF, 64-127 ON)

After you try them, please give me a feedback, ok? I have other codes for you to try to access hidden effects in the Katana Head.

tuquoque

Thanks! I'll try them and will let you know.

tuquoque

It worked like a charm with Katana head. Thank you!
I really like the MS3 with Katana and now it's even better.

Did I understood right, there's a way to switch sneaky amps without MIDX-20?

wildfishie

This is what I'd like you to find out for us. Thanks for the help. I have a Roland FC-300 but my Katana Head still hasn't arrived. I suspect that advanced midi controllers such as ours can work with the Head without the need for the Midx-20, because the Head has a midi input.

Let's try the sneaky amps first:

* Use "Control Change" #30 and values from 0 to 27 to access all amps:
Acoustic = 0
Clean = 1
Crunch = 2
Lead = 3
Brown = 4
Natural Clean = 5
Clean Twin = 6
Combo Crunch = 7
Stack Crunch = 8
Pro Crunch = 9
Deluxe Crunch = 10
VO Drive = 11
VO Lead = 12
Match Drive = 13
Hi gain Stack = 14
Extreme Lead = 15
Core Metal = 16
BG Lead = 17
BG Drive = 18
MS1959 I = 19
MS1959 I+II = 20
R-Fire Vintage = 21
R-Fire Modern = 22
T-Amp Lead = 23
BGNR UB = 24
Power Drive = 25
Orange RB = 26
Acoustic Custom = 27

* At the same time you can use the following "Control Changes" and values from 0 to 127 to tweak:
#31 Gain
#32 Volume
#33 Bass
#34 Mid
#35 Treble
#36 Presence

Please let me know if these sneaky midi codes work with your MS3. If they do, I'll help you with the other sneaky effects.

tuquoque

Thanks! I'll try asap (tomorrow) and will post back. Hope it works!

CodeSmart

Quote from: tuquoque on July 29, 2017, 02:49:24 PM
Thanks! I'll try asap (tomorrow) and will post back. Hope it works!
Sorry, it will not work without the MIDX.
* Patch (1-5)
* FX1 on/off
* FX2 on/off
* FX3 on/off
* Effect loop switch

That's all the MIDI Boss gave us.
All the other CC's require the MIDX.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

tuquoque

Yes, I confirm that, I tested and it didn't work.

Great that we have MIDX-20. I'll order one any day now.
BTW. Will MIDX-20 work with Boss BR-80?

gumtown

Those cc# 30~36 commands listed are built into the MIDX20, and not the Katana.
If you want direct control of the Katana parameters, system exclusive control is the only way.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

tuquoque

That's sad as I really like my rig as small and portable as possible.
MIDX-20 means one more box, few more cables and a wallwart.
It's better than nothing, though. I think I need one.

wildfishie

Maybe Boss can change that in future firmware upgrades, when the sneaky stuff is no longer "sneaky". What do you think gumtown?

Besides that, reading the manual of the FC-300, I learned that it can send SysEx messages. What if we find out the SysxEx codes for the sneaky stuff? Do you think that might work?

gumtown

The whole "Sneaky Amps" thing has never been acknowledged by Boss, and I doubt they would ever endorse them,
If they do a firmware update, it would most likely close the door on sneaky amps.
Their intention for the katana was 5 generic knob selected amp models. Simple..

In the FxFloorBoard Katana editor, if you engage "debug Mode" (from the midi preferences/settings),
any controls tweaked in the editor will display the sysx code used to control the Katana on the bottom status row.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

wildfishie

Excellent. When I receive my Katana Head I'll try the SysEx codes from the FxFloorBoard editor with the FC-300. It might take a while until it arrives but I'll come back here to tell you guys the result.

Thanks a lot, Gumtown!