Katana 50 With Ir's

Started by abeetude, May 15, 2017, 10:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abeetude

Hi all,

Not sure if this is a valid question... Would / Or is the use of Impulse Responses possible?

admin

Anything is possible once you get the katana sound in the computer via USB

But due to latency with most computers ,a computer based IR app will not work for live use: instead use a dedicated Cab IR box ( TwoNotes Torpedo CAB , BLueGuitar BlueBox, etc)   

abeetude

Thank you for your reply.

My current signal chain:

Mexican Strat HSS > Katana > Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 second gen via Rec Out. JBL Lsr308's from Scarlett's Balanced Outputs > Laptop ASIO Drivers (No latency). USB always connected for PC/Software adjustments (Tone Studio / KATANAFxFloorBoard - Thank you Gumtown!)

This is where i get lost, without a hardware IR Box - software is an option i.e. SGEAR - cabinet section, or Rosen Digital as a VST into a DAW. But where in the chain would it sit? Or would it not matter?

Elantric

Despite the rumors  - Latency does exist - and typically using your focusrite and a Cab IR app (S-Gear,etc) will be adding +20 milliseconds  = intolerable for some and added phase errors.

But you might Like it

abeetude

Hi Elantric. Thank you

There is no noticeable latency at this stage. Instant as I struck a string. ASIO reads 2.9ms Latency. Not sure how to attached screenshot ???

Elantric

If it works for you - go ahead -

No need to seek permission.

Beanow

Quote from: abeetude on May 15, 2017, 12:03:49 PM
My current signal chain:
Mexican Strat HSS > Katana > Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 second gen via Rec Out. JBL Lsr308's from Scarlett's Balanced Outputs > Laptop ASIO Drivers (No latency). USB always connected for PC/Software

... where in the chain would it sit? Or would it not matter?

From your focusrite input to your focusrite output is where your software IR would sit.

As for latency, Elantric's indication is about right. Your exact latency depends on sample rate and how many samples you run buffers at. More intensive DSP may require you to increase the buffer samples to prevent pops and clicks. More samples = more latency.

http://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/The-Truth-About-Digital-Audio-Latency

abeetude

Thank you all for the input!  8)