Katana Mk1 - Gumtown's Katana FxFloorBoard Editor

Started by Elantric, April 07, 2017, 02:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Same here - but this is to be expected as these bugs get addresed
- Remember  we are still in Katana FX Floorboard beta test mode  - but already MUCH progress has been made in past 14 days!

Gumtown's KATANA PATCH LOADER - a midi real-time live patch file Loader (128 patches)

Still  a work in progress - will provide a path / method to use a common MIDI Footcontroller+ laptop to access 128 Katana presets that you create with Gumtown's Katana FX Floorboard (above)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/experimental/

----
KATANAFxFloorBoard
For experimental hidden parameter finding
current version:
[PLATFORM]           [VERSION]  [VERSION DATE]     [FILE]

windows 7~10         20170420   (20th Apr 2017)    [KATANAFxFloorBoard_Setup.exe]

linux ubuntu64       20170420   (20th Apr 2017)    [KATANAFxFloorBoard_linux-64.tar.gz]

macOSX 10.8~10.12    20170420   (20th Apr 2017)    [KATANAFxFloorBoard_mac-64.zip]

Experimental editor for initaially sending parameters to the Katana to see if any extra hidden amp effect features are available.
Select mid device (Katana) from the "preferences > midi" menu, then send parameters without the "connect" button engaged.
When the editor "connect" button is engaged, the editor will try to extract patch data from the Katana. This function has not yet been tested.

Katana_Patch_Loader
  a software to load upto 128 Tone Studio patches into the Katana for real-time playing,
using a midi controller to slect the 128 Katana patches.
current version:
[PLATFORM]           [VERSION]  [VERSION DATE]     [FILE]

windows 7~10         20170419   (19th Apr 2017)    [Katana_Patch_Loader_Setup.exe]

linux ubuntu64       20170415   (15th Apr 2017)    [Katana_Patch_Loader_linux-64.tar.gz]

macOSX 10.8~10.12    20170415   (15th Apr 2017)    [Katana_Patch_Loader_mac-64.zip]

Simply Select/Open the *.TSL patch bundle file, select the midi foot controller and Katana as the midi devices,
start playing with 128 Katana patches at your feet.

sixeight

QuoteSame here - but this is to be expected as these bugs get addresed
- Remember  we are still in Katana FX Floorboard beta test mode  - but already MUCH progress has been made in past 14 days!

Amazing work, Gumtown. Developing software for a device you do not have. It is very tricky to debug it this way. It feels like flying blind to me. I am amazed you already got this far so fast.

Elantric

I'm hoping eventually we can achieve KATANA CONTROL ASSIGNMENTS

vtgearhead

I'm having problems with the latest Katana floorboard editor.  The previous one was able to read the amp properly, but this one throws an error complaining about invalid data size.  It controls the amp, but since I cannot see the state that's of limited use.

admin

Quote from: snhirsch on April 20, 2017, 05:22:27 PM
I'm having problems with the latest Katana floorboard editor.  The previous one was able to read the amp properly, but this one throws an error complaining about invalid data size.  It controls the amp, but since I cannot see the state that's of limited use.

another "nag"

I ALWAYS rename the download file so I have a bit of version control.

instead of simply "KATANAFxFloorBoard_Setup.exe"

I rename it locally on my computer - adding a 6 digit extension in "YRMODY" format.

so i have :

KATANAFxFloorBoard_Setup_170414.exe ( 170414 = 2017, April, 14)

KATANAFxFloorBoard_Setup_170420.exe ( 170420 = 2017, April, 20)

stevesilk51

Quote from: sixeight on April 20, 2017, 12:33:19 PM
Amazing work, Gumtown. Developing software for a device you do not have. It is very tricky to debug it this way. It feels like flying blind to me. I am amazed you already got this far so fast.

I for one would be more than wiling to donate $10 to Gumtown to develop this WITH a Katana we fund for his work?

How about it guys? It must be worthwhile for us to support the work he does for us in this way?

Only 30 supporters needed, or donate what you can?

Steve

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: stevesilk51 on April 21, 2017, 03:46:31 AM
I for one would be more than wiling to donate $10 to Gumtown to develop this WITH a Katana we fund for his work?

How about it guys? It must be worthwhile for us to support the work he does for us in this way?

Steve
Sounds good. Is there a PayPal address we can use?

gumtown

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/experimental/
Just did a windows update, hopefully fixed the data size error,
also added the 3 option selections for the Knob Panel Green/Red/Yellow led variation selections.
You will find those within the respective effect edit pages (Booster/MOD/FX/Delay/Reverb)
These have more options for the extra effects and custom booster options, which BTS does not have.

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on April 21, 2017, 06:06:30 AM
Sounds good. Is there a PayPal address we can use?
In the editor software under the "Help" menu is a 'Donate' link.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stevesilk51

Quote from: gumtown on April 21, 2017, 06:40:04 AM
In the editor software under the "Help" menu is a 'Donate' link.

On it now Gumtown

Steve

admin

Gumtown Donate Link Here

A few years back We did a similar action for the Boss GP-10Edit
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15464.0
His efforts are crucial to our effective use of our tools  - but he has limited time.

( else Id be shipping him a dozen other pieces of gear I wish had a working GUI) 

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: admsustainiac on April 21, 2017, 07:13:47 AM
Gumtown Donate Link Here

His efforts are crucial to our effective use of our tools  - but he has limited time.

( else Id be shipping him a dozen other pieces of gear I wish had a working GUI)
Thanks for the link. I understand my donation does not obligate gumtown to write a single line of new code. It is merely a thank you for the many hours of enjoyment his efforts have afforded me.

kneagle

Quote from: stevesilk51 on April 21, 2017, 03:46:31 AM

Steve

I'm in - How do we do it?

kn

kneagle

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on April 21, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
Thanks for the link. I understand my donation does not obligate gumtown to write a single line of new code. It is merely a thank you for the many hours of enjoyment his efforts have afforded me.

Got it - I guess I shoulda read the whole thread before replying!

Idgolfguy

Quote from: admsustainiac on April 21, 2017, 07:13:47 AM
Gumtown Donate Link Here

Done, mate.
Appreciate all the work.

gumtown

Have now updated the Linux and mac versions to the same as yesterday's windows version 20170421 (21 April 2017)

I do have some questions:

1.) Is the latest version loading patches with-out error (from the Katana)?

2.) When opening/loading a saved patch file, does the Katana tone change to match the patch file (tone changes and not muted)?

3.) does the editor "connect" without requiring 'deBug' mode to be checked (auto connect on start-up)?

4.) do any of the "system or Midi" setting have any effect? I am hoping that the midi channel and USB levels might work, bonus if anything else does.

5.) I guess the patch settings for the S/R Loop don't work (heard a rumour somewhere on another site), can this be confirmed?

6.) do the patch names populate the left panel "Patch Tree"? and the correct patch get selected and loaded?

7.) any effect parameters which don't work? check out the dual delays (series and parallel delays) in the main delay effect.

I went to my local music shop today and saw they have a KAT 50 in store sitting right there,
and I actually twiddled the knobs on it,  ;D
I appreciate the donations sent so far, thank you.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stevesilk51

Quote from: gumtown on April 22, 2017, 01:54:37 AM
Have now updated the Linux and mac versions to the same as yesterday's windows version 20170421 (21 April 2017)

I do have some questions:

2.) When opening/loading a saved patch file, does the Katana tone change to match the patch file (tone changes and not muted)?

3.) does the editor "connect" without requiring 'deBug' mode to be checked (auto connect on start-up)?

4.) do any of the "system or Midi" setting have any effect? I am hoping that the midi channel and USB levels might work, bonus if anything else does.

5.) I guess the patch settings for the S/R Loop don't work (heard a rumour somewhere on another site), can this be confirmed?

6.) do the patch names populate the left panel "Patch Tree"? and the correct patch get selected and loaded?

7.) any effect parameters which don't work? check out the dual delays (series and parallel delays) in the main delay effect.

I went to my local music shop today and saw they have a KAT 50 in store sitting right there,
and I actually twiddled the knobs on it,  ;D
I appreciate the donations sent so far, thank you.

Hi Gumtown,

What I've tested so far:

1. Patches loaded from Katana into latest version appear ok.

2. When opening/loading a saved patch file I get same BIG volume drop as I do when loading into the Patch loader. The tones change but so faint that I cannot hear if they load correctly even with headphones on.
EDIT: Discovered the update to 421 had not worked , so reupdated, now works and Volume issue is fixed! However when loading a patch from file it seems to load the first time on startup of Katana, but subsequent loads do not take correctly . They show in amps, effects etc as changed but sound does not alter from previous patch. Is there a specific order/procedure that must be followed to get the editor to work correctly? Or should it simply be a matter of load a patch and it works?

3.) does the editor "connect" without requiring 'deBug' mode to be checked (auto connect on start-up)?  YES seems fine to me.

4.) do any of the "system or Midi" setting have any effect? I am hoping that the midi channel and USB levels might work, bonus if anything else does. Cannot comment yet, no midi device.

5.) I guess the patch settings for the S/R Loop don't work (heard a rumour somewhere on another site), can this be confirmed?  No, Not Working

6.) do the patch names populate the left panel "Patch Tree"? and the correct patch get selected and loaded? Patch names populate but numbers do not match Katana footcontroller i.e. U04 is
Button 3 on the FCR, U03 is 2 on the FCR and so on.

7.) any effect parameters which don't work? check out the dual delays (series and parallel delays) in the main delay effect. Dual Delays all ok, high cuts seem to make little or no difference but only used headphones, may notice more through speaker output'

As a result what I am doing with the FX Floorboard is to select a patch from the tree which loads at normal volume, tryout and edit amps, effects etc and then if I get something I really like I save it to the Katana. Saving the patch as a file just results in the volume drop when reloaded, so I've stopped doing that for the moment.

Hope you get enough donations to get your own Katana to help development Gumtown, thanks for your continued efforts

And Hope this helps?

EDIT: Discovered the update to 421 had not worked , so reupdated, now works and Volume issue is fixed! However when loading a patch from file it seems to load the first time on startup of Katana, but subsequent loads do not take correctly . They show in amps, effects etc as changed but sound does not alter from previous patch. Is there a specific order/procedure that must be followed to get the editor to work correctly? Or should it simply be a matter of load a patch and it works?

Steve

vtgearhead

Hi, Colin.  I have not tried everything you asked about in your note, but the 421 version has fixed the parameter read.  No more size errors.  I do not have to use debug mode to get connectivity.

I am seeing what appears to be an off-by-one error in handling of Ch 1 - 4 + panel.  I'll try to quantify this better today (or, more likely, discover it's something stupid on my part).

I remain of the impression that the preamp T-Comp control has an effect.  There have been a few opinions to the contrary but I'm hearing changes in the dynamic response when I twiddle it.

Keep up the good work!  My contribution is on the way momentarily.

All the different projects (mine, yours, Condor and Robin) cover slightly different sets of functionality.  I'm working to pull together a strawman outlining my vision for the "perfect" Katana software toolset.  I certainly don't expect that you or anyone else will deliver such at thing, but I'd like to get the conversation rolling and hear what others think.

Elantric

I need to figure out how to save a TSL file of that patch. My first attempt appeared to go correctly, yet produced no output file. Almost certainly my error.

@vtgearhead in Boss Tone Studio once you have created a "liveset" with your amp settings and then just "export" it.

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/23979876/

Don carney wrote>

QuoteAlthough my computer skills are very limited, even I have been able to access Sneaky Amps and have adopted (for now) in the 4 channels of my Kat 100: a Twin Clean (no bright), Twin Clean w bright, Marshall 1959 I and II in parallel, and Tweed. Then using the Panel channel, I am able to switch amp models by hand to access the 5 factory pre sets so that makes 9 amps. Also the foot pedal seems to work for me for access to effects for all of the different amp models. This is just amazing.

fificap

Hi Gumtown,

I tested the version 20170421.

Based on Steve answers, here are my comments:

1. Patches loaded from Katana into latest version appear ok.
For me: When i connect (now without debug mode on  :D ) Patch from Katana including sneaky amp setting are correctly loaded in "Patch" tree area on left window. A single click in one of the patch activate it on katana without editing on fxFootBoard main window. A double click activate it on katana and load it in main FxfootBoard for editing.

2. When opening/loading a saved patch file I get same BIG volume drop as I do when loading into the Patch loader. The tones change but so faint that I cannot hear if they load correctly even with headphones on.
For me: all patches including sneaky amp setting that i've store in one of the 4 katana chanels with BTS before, is correctly loaded/opened in FxFootBoard, and tone change are correctly applied in Katana, matching the corresponding tone in memory. I do not notice any change in volume !

YES seems fine to me.
Perfect for me too.

4.) do any of the "system or Midi" setting have any effect?
I am hoping that the midi channel and USB levels might work, bonus if anything else does. Cannot comment yet, no midi device.
I have no midi device, i dont know how to test this ! I've change some parameters randomly on system, but no effect noticed.

No, Not Working
For me: i put a looper in the send/return fx loop, running with a playback. I can ear the playback whatever the led is on or off on the FxFootBoard stompbox representation. Changing send or receive level knob on the send/return effect stompbox does not have effect, with or withoud activating the led (using the stompbox on FxfootBoard). If i do the same in BTS (changing send/receive level in "system") i can ear the volume change.

Patch names populate but numbers do not match Katana footcontroller i.e. U04 is Button 3 on the FCR, U03 is 2 on the FCR and so on.
Patch names are populated in FxFootBoard correctly, matching the names i saved in katana with BTS when i saved them in Katana. U01 correspond to katana panel, H02 to katana channel 1, U03 to katana Channel 2, U04 to katana channel 3 U05 to katana channel 4. Selection and loading seems correct.

Dual Delays all ok, high cuts seem to make little or no difference but only used headphones, may notice more through speaker output'
All what i've tested seems to work fine on this area.

So I'm very happy, i do not face volume issue as Steve, everything work fine for me.

At least to load from katana to FxFootBoard, and adjust or change parameters with the software and save the result directly on katana by long pressing one of the channel button to put in memory. I do not understand how to use the "preset" tree on the left, neither how to save just one preset in one channel of my choice, or all channels from FxFootBorad in the katana, i just know how to modify a channel and save it to katana. but i haven't read the documentation for now !

Other thing not clear for me is how works the "option select" with green/red/yellow choice Vs the "effect" main choice on stompbox parameters. If i have a patch in katana with boost setup as green=clean od, red=t-scream, yellow=big muff; i retreive this setup on FxFootBoard for editing when i select the corresponding patch. But then i can choose in "effect" let say DST+ and change parameters. I can ear the change but without having a visible effect on green/red/yellow setup! It seems that the "effect" setup will overide the "option select" on the color that is selected on katana at this time. I'll try to explain more clearly: i load a patch from katana where boost effects are setup to "clean boost" for green/red/yellow, i edit parameters of the "boost" stompbox, put "on" the effect (green is selected on the katana panel) i put "metal zone" in all green/red/yellow. I put "crunch" on the effect and write/sync the channel to Katana. The result is the green position is overiden with the "crunch" setup, but red and yellow are not "metal zone" but back to "clean boost". Do i have to conclude that "option select" is just for reading information from katana ?

Thanks,
Philippe

stevesilk51

Hi Colin,

Actually getting a little confused as to what to expect, or rather your expectations of what the final version will be capable of.

So far I can see there is the ability to save edited patches directly to the Katana using the on board button method (seems safest way).  These can include sneakies , terra echo etc.

However, The translation of patches to the Katana seems to have glitches in that they work only when you first switch on the Katana and start trying it. They seem to load (the gui shows changes), but the sound does not change from the first patch loaded.

Patches edited and saved to the Katana are fine and remain each time I switch on, however it is when |I want to try outher patches by loading a file e.g. .tsl that I run into problems.

Is this about where other users stand or maybe I'm missing some step or other?

Thanks, Steve

theMinion

Using the April 22nd version on my K100 using a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.11.6.

Here are my observations...

No errors!

Yes the tone changes without muting when selecting from the Patch tree. I am experiencing software lockups when using the save/load dialogs in the File menu. Currently, I just make parameters changes in KatFXFB and then either save the patch using the Katana's physical buttons, or jump over to BTS and manage the patch using those facilities (which seem to treat sneaky adjusted patches at that point just like any standard patch).

Sure does. In fact, I haven't had to use the debug mode on any of the builds.

No MIDI device to test those functions. Haven't had a chance to test USB audio recording.

Same as others have reported, not working.

Same behavior as reported by others. Patch names match BTS, but numbering is off by 1 because U01 represents Katana Panel (if Katana Panel equaled U05, and everything else dropped by a number this would be fixed).

One thing I observed that doesn't fully work is the delay time parameter -  It can be increased to 1000ms and then there are options for dotted eighth, quarter note, etc., the MS settings appear to work perfectly, but the dotted eighth, sixteenth and so on don't seem to do anything. The Katana just keeps the delay at 1000ms while selecting between these parameters.

In addition, I noticed the EZ Tone patch creator sort of works. I am not familiar with how it is intended to function, but I don't think it's working correctly. Moving the cursor around does change the Katana's tone, sometimes drastically and sometimes hardly at all, but it seems sporadic.

Also, under the Master section the EQ doesn't seem to have any effect, however Patch Level does work.

Just thought I would report on those extras since they are in there.

stevesilk51

Hi Colin,

Further to my testing with correctly installed 20170421 I can now hear correct volumes in loaded patches.

Main area I have trouble understanding is the Patch Tree structure on the left:

U01-U05 are self explanatory and they populate with my Katana patches correctly albeit with patch numbers out by 1, ......

....... but I have no idea how to use/populate the Preset Tree P01-P05?

I have looked at the Help file but it seems to be mainly GR55 related in the tree structure area.

Steve

Beanow

Quote from: stevesilk51 on April 23, 2017, 06:37:56 AM
but I have no idea how to use/populate the Preset Tree P01-P05?

The preset area is used by the Katana to hold the factory presets. Though I haven't actually tested writing to them, I would assume they are read-only.
These are the patches that get loaded to your CH1-4 and panel when you hold the panel button when powering on to do a factory reset.

stevesilk51

Quote from: Beanow on April 24, 2017, 01:04:16 AM
The preset area is used by the Katana to hold the factory presets. Though I haven't actually tested writing to them, I would assume they are read-only.
These are the patches that get loaded to your CH1-4 and panel when you hold the panel button when powering on to do a factory reset.

Ah, thanks Beanow,  so in that case am I right in assuming there are therefore 8 possible patches/presets available, 4 user/4 factory, and, to keep it getting too "multi-effects" like, the ability to have more user presets was removed?

Steve