What Pedals can i sell if I buy a Boss Katana

Started by dglobe, April 02, 2017, 06:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dglobe

I'm looking at raising some money to buy a Boss Katana 100 by selling some of my Pedals. To those that own this amp, what Pedals do you recommend I would no longer need? What Pedals do you still use with your Katana? I currently own: Tube screamer, Boss OS-2, Boss Digital Delay, Boss Equalizer, Boss Super Chorus and a Big Muff. Im keeping my looper but if I can sell a few pedals to help offset the cost it would help a lot. Thanks for your replies

Stevie F

Definatly keep your ch1 chorus and your  delay pedal use them through the effects loop so as to give you more versatility and better quality

Bob_E

I wouldn't sell any that you like and use frequently. I find the Katana's on board effects are a little more limited in use than some reviews led me believe. Booster can only be used on the first knob, delay can only be used on the second knob, the third knob can't do anything besides reverb, and the footswitch only turns the chosen effect on or off. But you can mix and match between Mod and FX and save different effects in each preset.

Beanow

Agreed with bob, keep the ones you like.
Me and some other folks on the forum here have been busy to reverse engineer what can the Katana can do in terms of hidden features.

Using more than 3 effects at the same time is definitely possible, but is rather cumbersome to work with at this stage. Also keep in mind that getting the Katanas effects to replace your actual pedals will confine you to the Katana. If you're changing setups later it's not like you would want to use the Katana as an oversized multi-effect pedal. (I've tried, but the pre-amp stage cannot be bypassed/disabled.)

Also, to enable / disable an effect you need to turn the knob to the 0 position or buy a separate footswitch. If you have a real pedal, you already have a footswitch.
Having a solid pedal that you can use however you like, no firmware telling you what to do, it's absolutely worth saving the money.

fificap

Hi,

I agree to say it's better to keep the one you like, and operations will always have less limitations with your pedal board; but i would temper this depending on your usage of pedals, and your wish to buy or not the footswitch GA-FC.

For sure if you don't plan to buy the footswitch, you cannot sell pedal !
Except maybe pedal that you use always on, with a constant setting .
For example, the Boss Equalizer: if you use it to compensate the tone of your guitar or cabinet, always with the same settings, then you can activate one of the EQ available (I don't know which one is the best between graphic or parametric EQ) in one of the 3 FX slot of the Katana. Even if you use 3 different settings (for 3 different guitars maybe), you can affect them to the 3 different colors of the FX slot. It is acceptable to switch the effect in the panel (if you do not have the footswitch!) when you switch guitar !

The limitation of 3 slot at a time remains a showstopper if you plan to use a lot of effects (I've read somewhere that there is a trick to add a volume boost in effect loop without using one of the effect slot? I cannot retrieve where and how ! If someone can give the link it will be great).
But maybe you don't use at simultaneously the t-screamer, the boss OS-2 and the Big Muff; in this case and with the footswitch you can assign t-screamer, big muff and the one that is the closest to os-2 (I don't thing there is an exact copy available?) on the 3 colors of Boost FX slot.

For delay and chorus, you can assign one on remaining FX slot of the Katana and keep the other.

The looper have to be kept! I put mine in the effect loop, changing the Effect chain to the third possibility in order to affect the looper playback with the less katana effects (but the looper recording is well affected by the FX you use).

This is assuming that the quality of effect embedded in Katana match your requirements !

I still have one issue with katana effect, with the panel operation at least as I do not yet receive my GA-FC ordered 3 weeks ago! When I use the button on the panel to cycle between colors of an effect slot (green, yellow, red), it does not allow an "off" position (green, yellow, red, off). I have to turn the knob to "0" to switch off the effect ! I hope there is a way to switch off an effect with the footswitch without changing the knob position, else I have to use 1 of the memory or 1 of the color position of the effect slot to save a setting with no effect (Is there a "blank" effect?).

@+
Philippe

Elantric

It might be more productive to create a list of pedals that work with any amp

My current "keeper" is this  - which works great with Katana and other amps

I use the Compressor as needed.

the big deal is the "Clean MIX" knobs, that work like the old Barber Tone Press - allows me to maintain my clean guitar transient attack in all modes.

TrueTone Visual Sound - Route 66 V3 - Overdrive / Comp / Gate / w Clean mix

http://truetone.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/V3RT66-Sample-Settings.pdf
http://truetone.com/v3-series/route-66/

includes a break out loop to "splice" in other pedals in between the compressor and overdrive FX Chain.   

Size: 5.11" x 4.45" x 2.05" (130 x 113 x 52mm) including jacks in front and knobs on top. Weight: 1.46 lbs. (658 grams) Current Draw: 44mA max.

V3 Route 66 American Overdrive

Truetone has completely re-invented the Route 66 pedal with the new V3 Series version. All new circuitry takes the best tones of previous versions and makes them even better, with far more versatility. Here are some of the highlights:

• Completely re-invented Route 66 pedal, with new circuitry.
• Compression and Overdrive in one box. Use together or separately.
• Compression Clean Mix knob allows varying degrees of compression mixed with dry signal, and the ability to be used as a clean boost.
• Same Comp, Tone (with on/off switch) and Volume knobs as previous Route 66 pedals.
• Redesigned, quieter compression with more subtle noise gate circuit.
• New overdrive channel based on the Reverend/GarageTone Drivetrain pedal, but with Clean Mix and Voice controls.
• Overdrive Clean Mix knob allows for various blends of overdrive and dry signal, including all drive or all clean boost.
• Voice switch chooses between bright and open, or more saturated overdrive.
• Separate Bass and Treble knobs.
• The V3 Route 66 sounds equally great with guitar or bass, and even with keyboards and other instruments!

V3 Series common attributes:

• Each channel can be set to either True Bypass mode or buffered, via internal switches. The buffered mode utilizes Truetone's Pure Tone circuit.
• Features the custom designed Forever Footswitch rated for 10 million hits. This interacts with relays having gold-plated contacts.
• Lifetime Warranty... even for second or third owners.
• Separate inputs and outputs so each side of the pedal can be used in a loop device, or midi switcher. Also possible to reverse the order of effects with a patch cable. Just like having 2 pedals, but in 1 housing.
• Small, pedal board friendly size, with front mounted jacks. Smaller footprint than 2 MXR or similar sized pedals.
• Comes in a black velvet bag inside the package box.