Live gig, how are you changing patches in FTP?

Started by retropunk, March 27, 2017, 10:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retropunk

In a live situation, what are you guys doing to change patches in FTP?
No one wants to be messing with the laptop on stage right?

I realize Fishman sells a foot controller but thats overkill/expensive for patch changes.
I am hoping someone can share their experience and setup!?

Thanks guys

Elantric

dafrimpster

Smash

Yes - up and down on the D Pad - you can specify exact program change numbers to each "next" press i.e. jump from patch 1 to 83 in one press

retropunk

Quote from: Smash on March 28, 2017, 05:44:10 AM
Yes - up and down on the D Pad - you can specify exact program change numbers to each "next" press i.e. jump from patch 1 to 83 in one press

Thats good to know. Thanks everyone.

I figured that the D-Pad is good at the start but once you have lots of patches you want to start using Program Changes instead right? I don't want to be tapping next, next, next or doing math with the D-Pad. :)

I have a Voicelive3 rig that allows me to do midi patch changes from an iPad app (MidiPad). I have the Yamaha MD-BT01 Midi device connected to the Voicelive3. This device allows the bluetooth/wireless midi to work with the iPad apps, its rock solid so far. I then use 2 apps, MidiMittr (to secure the connection) and MidiPad (which I customize the buttons for Program Changes). Works perfectly. I even use it with OnSong when I need too...anyways.

What I am trying to figure out is how I can trigger separate Program Changes with the tap of 1 button. I have the VoiceLive down but I would like to include the FTP software Program Change too. I know I can do it separately but whats the fun in that?! My experience with Midi CC is limited so pardon me if this is basic stuff.

Thanks guys!
- Patrick

Elantric

The  Computer that hosts Fishman triple play Control Panel software should also have a separate 5 pin midi interface that you supply. ( I typically use the MIDI I/O of a Focusrite 2i4 which is my main audio interface for connecting my mag PU guitar when using the FTP App

Connect  a five pin midi cable from your voicelive 3 MIDI OUT to the midi input on the MIDI Interface used with your Fishman triple play computer.

the Fishman triple play control panel app provides a path for accepting MIDI Program change commands from an external MIDI CONTROLLER ( Voicelive 3)

retropunk

Quote from: Elantric on March 28, 2017, 02:03:52 PM
The  Computer that hosts Fishman triple play Control Panel software should also have a separate 5 pin midi interface that you supply. ( I typically use the MIDI I/O of a Focusrite 2i4 which is my main audio interface for connecting my mag PU guitar when using the FTP App

Connect  a five pin midi cable from your voicelive 3 MIDI OUT to the midi input on the MIDI Interface used with your Fishman triple play computer.

the Fishman triple play control panel app provides a path for accepting MIDI Program change commands from an external MIDI CONTROLLER ( Voicelive 3)

RIGHT! DUH!
ok I got it...of course.
I have an M-Audio Interface for my audio out of my Mac. That makes sense...I totally knew that but was thinking too much about the wireless midi part! :)

Thanks so much for the quick reply.
I am ordering my FTP this week so I will report back with my experience!

Thanks again!
- Patrick

vablows

I have been trying to figure this ou forever!
Where exactly on the control panel would I find this?
Thank you so much Elantric!

Elantric

many Fishman Tripleplay owners omit reading all the crucial support docs and tutorials they created

Find them here

https://www.fishman.com/support/tripleplay-support-materials/

read #9
TRIPLEPLAY TUTORIALS
MODULE #9: USING A MIDI CONTROLLER PEDAL
https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/tripleplay_tut9.pdf

Many of the Tutorials include private links to Youtube FTP Tutorial videos -

if you dont read the Tripleplay Tutorial PDFs -  , You will never find the URL links for these "private" videos ( a major marketing / support  / management judgement error  IMHO) 

vablows

Ok, I did read all of that stuff.

I wanted to do this without a cpu, and MIDI in does not work, it is just pass thru.

Keeper does not allow for MSB/LSB with a program change, so I was hoping to get the Kemper
to initiate the PC to the FC-1, which then in turn sends the programmed presets that I made with the
FTP that send MIDI PC, MSB, and LSB to my Yamaha Motix XS rack.

But that does not work.

I am going to have to ditch my remote soon if they don't upgrade the MIDI capabilities soon.

😡

whippinpost91850

VA, I use my Kemper and remote to change programs on my GR55. not quite sure why you can't get the Kemper to send the PC's to Motif ???

vablows

Whip, I can get it to send PC changes.

The GR-55 only needs a PC to change them, but my Yamaha needs a PC + Bank Change (MSB/LSB).

Seems like there is always 1 little roadblock to getting the total compact MIDI rig.....ugh.....

admin

Suggest read this thread where the FTP is plugged into iConnect MIDI4 and Gordius MIDI Foot controller for control

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14513.msg105514#msg105514

doha1696

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know if someone uses midi program changes in a Daw (for me it's Logic X) to automatically switch FTP patches in the FTP soft. I don't want to use any external footswitch, I'm only playing with backing tracks and I already have midi PC to switch my Axe FX presets, it works perfectly. I'm sure there's a solution to do the same thing with FTP but I can't find it...
Dominik Hardy

http://fret-time.com

shawnb

In the past, the only way to get the FTP app to respond to PCs was thru the Song mode panel.

Is the Song panel even in the current app?    I haven't looked recently...

See pg 28 in the manual.

The FTP itself  (without the app) does not respond to PCs.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

admin

Quote from: shawnb on April 21, 2017, 06:09:51 AM
In the past, the only way to get the FTP app to respond to PCs was thru the Song mode panel.

Is the Song panel even in the current app?    I haven't looked recently...

See pg 28 in the manual.

The FTP itself  (without the app) does not respond to PCs.

Correct

but a device that allows the old school "MIDI MERGE" function allows FTP standalone  use  with a foot controller - Also need a USB Host to 5 pin MIDI converter if you desire to use FTP without a PC/ Mac

or use and iPad with the Apple USB CAMERA KIT, and powered USB Hub for FTP and KMI Softstep foot controller to drive iPad Synths.

many folks have been doing that since day #1

or use one of these

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13459.msg98821#msg98821
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/09/27/whats-a-bomebox-and-why-would-i-need-it/

shawnb

Correct.  I was responding to the question earlier in the thread where folks wanted to know if they could change FTP patches from another source.  To my knowledge there is no practical way to do so. 

Back to the original question - like most MIDI challenges, it's more difficult than it ought to be...   Different vendors support different functions, & they all have their quirks. 

Since the FTP won't (practically) respond to PCs, you either (a) change all patches thru the Dpad, or (b) you don't...   And if you're not using the dpad, why bother with the FTP app at all. 

I've tried many configurations, & the two best FTP rigs I've used were:
  -  Hollyhock, a programmable DAW/VST host, which I used to pre-load soft-synths (perfect flexibility)
  -  FTP driving my GR-30 (simple & easy & great sounds, but limitations on programmability) 

With Hollyhock, I used the dpad to change patches.  But I basically used all FTP "hardware  synths", within the FTP app; I did not use it as a VST host.  This is because I wanted to preload voices in my VST to avoid patch change times (I used SampleTank Live Sets to preload all samples).  So I wanted SampleTank to manage patch changes, not the FTP app.  The FTP app just lurked in the background. 

There are many ways to approach this.  You just need to choose your favorite synths & synth behavior/functions first, then work back from there. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

Quote from: shawnb on April 21, 2017, 08:21:59 AM
Correct.  I was responding to the question earlier in the thread where folks wanted to know if they could change FTP patches from another source.  To my knowledge there is no practical way to do so. 

Back to the original question - like most MIDI challenges, it's more difficult than it ought to be...   Different vendors support different functions, & they all have their quirks. 

Since the FTP won't (practically) respond to PCs, you either (a) change all patches thru the Dpad, or (b) you don't...   And if you're not using the dpad, why bother with the FTP app at all. 

I've tried many configurations, & the two best FTP rigs I've used were:
  -  Hollyhock, a programmable DAW/VST host, which I used to pre-load soft-synths (perfect flexibility)
  -  FTP driving my GR-30 (simple & easy & great sounds, but limitations on programmability) 

With Hollyhock, I used the dpad to change patches.  But I basically used all FTP "hardware  synths", within the FTP app; I did not use it as a VST host.  This is because I wanted to preload voices in my VST to avoid patch change times (I used SampleTank Live Sets to preload all samples).  So I wanted SampleTank to manage patch changes, not the FTP app.  The FTP app just lurked in the background. 

There are many ways to approach this.  You just need to choose your favorite synths & synth behavior/functions first, then work back from there.

One issue is MIDI Newbies, read the "FTP has a Hardware Mode!" - and then project  and extend this  "FTP  Hardware Mode" with confusion  to mean the Tripleplay Controller and dongle are 100% replacement for an Axon AX-100 with Waveblaster board  - and believe the hype on the Sweetwater site that of the "FC-1 foot controller is an "All in one solution - no computer needed"

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TripleplayFC1
QuoteAll-in-one foot controller for your Fishman TriplePlay MIDI pickup.

With so much functionality inside the FC-1 Controller, you'll open up a world of uses with your Fishman TriplePlay.
- and then get extremely disappointed after spending $600 ( FTP+FC1) to discover they still need to negotiate with their banker for additional funds to buy a Synthezizer   
(But not the first  or last time the naming conventions for various modes on MIDI gear are too confusing  - but Whats in a Name?)

Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Floor Controller (User Experience)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13447.0

80Hz

I don't see that a path for accepting MIDI program change in iOS.  I have a TriplePlay Connect and I'd like my iRig blueboard to trigger patches on the iOS TriplePlay connect software.

admin

Quote from: 80Hz on June 15, 2020, 09:55:04 AM
I don't see that a path for accepting MIDI program change in iOS.  I have a TriplePlay Connect and I'd like my iRig blueboard to trigger patches on the iOS TriplePlay connect software.

On IOS use a powered USB HUB and a USB Foot Controller

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep/
https://tonefiend.com/guitar/fishman-tripleplay-demo-now-with-more-nasty/

Philotomy

Quote from: admin on April 21, 2017, 07:24:05 AM
Correct

but a device that allows the old school "MIDI MERGE" function allows FTP standalone  use  with a foot controller - Also need a USB Host to 5 pin MIDI converter if you desire to use FTP without a PC/ Mac

or use and iPad with the Apple USB CAMERA KIT, and powered USB Hub for FTP and KMI Softstep foot controller to drive iPad Synths.

many folks have been doing that since day #1

or use one of these

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13459.msg98821#msg98821
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/09/27/whats-a-bomebox-and-why-would-i-need-it/

The Bome Box looks like a good solution to running hardware synth, I wonder if anyone is using one of these and can report that it powers the FTP receiver. It seems like a raspberry pi or Arduino could also do whats needed for this application.
"By the time I learned I couldn't tune a guitar very well, I was too rich to care." -Chet Atkins