FTP- Hanging notes when playing into DAW

Started by HHBay, February 14, 2017, 12:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HHBay

Hi

When I use FTP together with Cubase and Omnisphere I get midi hanging notes all the time and have to reset midi. I have no hanging notes when using keyboard. Any help ?
When I use the trippleplay-software there is no such problems.

Hope someone can help.

Hans Henrik

shawnb

DAWs & synths often have a setting whether or not to treat a MIDI NOTE ON event with a velocity of 0 as a NOTE OFF.   

Hunt that down & toggle it...

(I don't use either product, or I'd tell you!)
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

HHBay

Ok thank you,  I look into that. And come back later with a status.

Hans Henrik

Vade

I was having issues with FTP notes hanging intermittently which I resolved by moving the FTP dongle closer to the FTP receiver and eliminating some obstructions. Best of luck!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

gumbo

Quote from: Vade on February 14, 2017, 05:47:33 PM
I was having issues with FTP notes hanging intermittently which I resolved by moving the FTP dongle closer to the FTP receiver and eliminating some obstructions. Best of luck!

Yeah...move that bar fridge Vade !   ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Vade

Quote from: gumbo on February 15, 2017, 02:54:15 AM
Yeah...move that bar fridge Vade !   ;D

Not a chance Peter San. There are only so many compromises you can make before you're just another hack rather than a bona fide wild eyed hotel wrecking legend!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: HHBay on February 14, 2017, 12:42:54 PM
Hi

When I use FTP together with Cubase and Omnisphere I get midi hanging notes all the time and have to reset midi. I have no hanging notes when using keyboard. Any help ?
When I use the trippleplay-software there is no such problems.

Hope someone can help.

Hans Henrik

I have the exact same issue and it hasn't bothered me too much until I started to use FTP live -- It's not a problem restricted to Omnisphere. I can't find any settings that would alleviate this issue. The only way I can deactivate these 'held notes' is to play the same note again which I assume creates a NOTE OFF MIDI message. This usually works, but not always. It's not practical to stop and rewind oneself when improvising to kill a stuck note.

I use Ableton Live as a host with the FTPpPlugin on its own MIDI track. Various VSTs/tracks then have MIDI from the FTP track routed to them as necessary. There's no kind of 'hit PANIC and kill any unruly MIDI events' option. Even still, I'm not sure why it happens at all. 

Also, I have the same issue with the FTP Standalone app, unlike the OP. Any thoughts?
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

shawnb

I suspect the routing.   

I would simplify it a bit.   Continue to use a single ftp track, but select a "hardware synth".   At that point, it merely lets you change the ftp's parameters.

Do not route midi from the ftp track to other tracks.  Instead, for each synth track, simply use the ftp midi in directly. 

I believe the Ableton CPU icon doubles as a panic button.  Click on it.

Hope this helps.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Vaultnaemsae

Hi Shawnb,

Thanks for your suggestions. I should clarify that I have been using a 'Hardware Synth' patch in the FTP plugin as standard. This is so I can keep an eye on the FTP's behaviour and easily change the hardware patch mode when necessary. I haven't really wrangled using the FTP without the app/plugin yet...seems difficult without visual feedback on the device's status.

The inputs for each instrument (individual MIDI tracks in Ableton) were set to receive input from the FTP plugin channel only as I was concerned about doubled MIDI messages somehow messing things up. But I tried setting them to 'All Ins' last night and actually had better results. I'm not sure why this is the case but was happy that I didn't really have any note hangs! It was the first time in a while.

To me, it seems like a limitation in Ableton Live -- for 'MIDI Source' you can only select a single input source or 'all ins'.

And, clicking the CPU icon/meter does kill all MIDI! That's a very useful tip -- thanks again.

I have some other FTP struggles but I'll put them in another post.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

admin

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on December 04, 2017, 03:29:38 PM
Hi Shawnb,

Thanks for your suggestions. I should clarify that I have been using a 'Hardware Synth' patch in the FTP plugin as standard. This is so I can keep an eye on the FTP's behaviour and easily change the hardware patch mode when necessary. I haven't really wrangled using the FTP without the app/plugin yet...seems difficult without visual feedback on the device's status.

The inputs for each instrument (individual MIDI tracks in Ableton) were set to receive input from the FTP plugin channel only as I was concerned about doubled MIDI messages somehow messing things up. But I tried setting them to 'All Ins' last night and actually had better results. I'm not sure why this is the case but was happy that I didn't really have any note hangs! It was the first time in a while.

To me, it seems like a limitation in Ableton Live -- for 'MIDI Source' you can only select a single input source or 'all ins'.

And, clicking the CPU icon/meter does kill all MIDI! That's a very useful tip -- thanks again.

I have some other FTP struggles but I'll put them in another post.

http://keyboardwaves.com/midi-panic-apple-store/

MIDI PANIC is a Panic Button to kill all MIDI Notes and reset all Controllers to all MIDI channels.
MIDI PANIC is absolutely essential for anyone using MIDI for a Live Gig.
Press button and destroy all freezing/holding notes on your Rig and reset all Control Changes.

Available for Ipad and Iphone on Apple Store.
Requirement : iOS 10

Current Features:

• To all Midi Channels (1 to 16), to all Midi Ports:

– Send CC120 "ALL SOUNDS OFF"
– Send CC121 "RESET ALL CONTROLLERS"
– Send CC123 "ALL NOTES OFF"
– Send CC01 "Modulation" to 0 (OFF)
– Send CC11 "Expression" to 127 (Full)
– Send CC64 "Sustain Pedal" to 0 ( OFF).
– Send Pitch Bend Reset
– Send Individual NOTE OFF Messages (C-2 to G8) to all channels because some older MIDI machines do not respond to the CC123 "ALL NOTES OFF".

• Screen to see All MIDI Ports Connected.
• Options Menu to choose Control Changes to send.
• Bip sound when Panic button is pressed.
• Works via virtual MIDI Network (Wifi) or virtual Midi Port.

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/midi-panic/id1276905859?mt=8