Boss Katana Storing custom sounds

Started by seanote, February 13, 2017, 11:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanote

Hello,

I see a lot of info about all the 55 different sound effects that this amp can contain, but I don't see anywhere in the manual that shows how to write and then where to store a patch that I've tailored to my needs and want to recall it with a foot switch.

There are 4 Channels and a panel channel. Is that where you write to, and is that total of 5 spots the total amount you can store at a given time.

Looking at the Blackstar ID Core 100, it has 3 channels but has 12 banks. So you can store 36 custom sounds and then scroll up and down the banks to get.to your sounds.

Is this the way the Katana works or what?

Can anyone clarify this please?

Thanks
Paul

Elantric

Correct - only 5 places to store your desired FX 
There are 4 Channels and a panel channel.

seanote

Hi,

Thanks for that info. I play a Breedlove acoustic along with an American Strat so I like that the Katana has an acoustic voicing. May be a deal breaker with the lack of room to set up co-ordinating custom patches side by side to quickly use in a live performance environment.

I have a Blackstar ID Core 100 coming in from Guitar Center so I'll check that out first. Love the Stereo effects on that amp.

The owner of Dr. Z Amps is a personal friend of mine and I've come close to purchasing one of them but I like the combo amps.

Thanks much
Paul

stevesilk51

Hi,
Been mulling this over myself.  A roundabout solution could be to put a multi effects in the effects loop (I'm using a GP 10) and use the patches within that on one channel e.g. Ch 1. I've set channel 1 at a clean, flat response (as much as possible) setting.  The quality of sound etc from the GP-10 is excellent, but any quality multi effects should do it for you, I always go Boss myself.

The only drawback I've found and posted on here is that if you have the effect loop turned on for Ch 1 (your multi effects patches Channel) then it will be on ALL the channels 1-4 + Panel. It's a global setting that I'm hoping Boss will address in a later firmware update that will enable each channel to have loop on/off option.

At the moment if I switch out of Channel 1 to any of the others the effect loop, and therefore the multi effects unit is still on, unless I turn off the loop manually with the GA-FC.

Hope this helps. The Katana is an awesome amp.

Regards

Steve

sixeight

Steve Hirsch's RPi/Beaglebone bridge will add unlimited patch locations to store patches. It will require a MIDI foot controller as well.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19782.0

vtgearhead

Thanks for the plug, Sixeight!  Currently it takes snapshots of the front-panel controls only, but I think I can safely store deep effects settings (for the active devices at least) and restore them without audible glitching.  Just a matter of finding time to crank out some code.

Dead Shady

Hi. This is my first post on what seems a very informative site.

I've recently bought the Katana 50 as a handy combo to take round to friends etc. I also own a Blackstar TVP head and cab. When I first bought the katana I was impressed with the amount of tone options available but thought I was missing something when I couldn't find where to store any patches I'd created. Being the 50 watt version you only get 2 channels (which isn't a major problem normally) but not being able to store patches in a library  (the blackstar can store 128) and be able to call them up with a pedal is a major flaw and big balls up by boss imo.

I'm not very knowledgeable with a PC and reading about the programme someone on this board has cleverly  written to overcome this problem sounds great but has gone straight over my head :(

Does anybody know if Boss are likely to upgrade their firmware to enable more storage space or am I better off exchanging my katana 50 for a blackstar combo instead?

stevesilk51

Hi,

Agree with you to a certain extent, but Boss were pitching this amp at guitarists who like to keep things simple and probably didn't need 128 patches/presets.
Bottom line however is that it sounds incredible good for a non-valve bang for buck amp.

Do agree with your techie statement; there are indeed some VERY knowledgeable guys on this forum who tend to speak in tongues us mere mortals find hard to decipher, me included, but they have been known to produce Idiots guides for us  ;) .

Also, maybe, just maybe, Boss may read this forum and come up with a firmware update to help out?

Cheers

Steve

Shogun1

I recently got one too.  A pal told me "you need to check this out before you buy an old-school tube Fender, so I went to demo thing (100 1x12) For $329??? No brainer.  THOUGH you add a considerable amount to the price if you buy the footswitch and expression pedal. BUT I can't stand multi-tasking on-stage, so I still use dedicated stomp boxes.  It's just simpler.  I just updated the firmware and used the ToneStudio to tweak the FX (adding Univibe and rotary Mod).  But I have a Chrome Vox Wah,  Deja-vibe pedal and TubeScreamer anyway... just about the only effects I really need for my sonic vocabulary.  Everything else, I get from my playing technique.  I've often felt the whole pedal board madness is about trying to replicate STUDIO post production processing found on recordings... live.  Okay.  But ALL that really just to lead into.. You need the ToneStudio software... which requires much newer operating systems than I care to maintain, for the required drivers and software.  So I borrowed a Windows 10 box just to update firmware and set the custom FXs.

What I REALLY dig about this amp is the acoustic/electric (peizo) amp option and, believe it or not, the 0.5 watt output option.  It makes it possible to use a 12inch speaker as a practice amp.  I can practice with all effects at levels barely louder than playing my heavily strung Strat knock-off unplugged.  I was jamming at midnight, hardly louder than a tv set would be, while others slept.

Shogun1

Quote from: seanote on February 13, 2017, 07:49:39 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that info. I play a Breedlove acoustic along with an American Strat so I like that the Katana has an acoustic voicing. May be a deal breaker with the lack of room to set up co-ordinating custom patches side by side to quickly use in a live performance environment.

I have a Blackstar ID Core 100 coming in from Guitar Center so I'll check that out first. Love the Stereo effects on that amp.

The owner of Dr. Z Amps is a personal friend of mine and I've come close to purchasing one of them but I like the combo amps.

Thanks much
Paul

Yep.  I use pretty much the same two guitars.  Having the "acoustic" amp selection is a big plus.  I suspect it sounds easily as good as my Fender Acoustasonic 90, though NO mic channel, which is the only missing feature I'd definitely use.  The freedom from having to pack two separate amps was a major plus when deciding on this amp, as I perform just as much using my electric flat-top as my Strat knock-off... MORE, actually when performing as a soloist.