GP-10- Sudden String Volume Drop

Started by c_hoplaros, January 27, 2017, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c_hoplaros

Hello! I often experience a weird problem with my Boss GP-10. While using modelling sounds, my B string stops working (usually B string, sometimes it's another string) and this problem is fixed if i turn off and on GP-10. I tried cleaning my cable pins etc but the problem is still there.
Does anyone have this problem?
Thanks!

admin

With GP -10 powered on

Try wiggling cables

Including the short cable to your GK-3 Pickup (assuming you are using a GK-3)

See if you experience noise,crackling , or intermittent string drop out

More 13 pin cable tips
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

c_hoplaros

Thanks a lot! I will try it tomorrow and hopefuly it will solve the issue!

tbeltrans

Yesterday, I bought a used GP-10.  It was like new in the box with the GK=3 pickup and cable.  Luckily, I bought it through a used music equipment shop.  When I got it home and tried it out, the B string would not play through it.  I tried a factory reset, then a setup for my RMC pickup (Godin Multiac ACS SA).  Nothing resolved the problem.  When I tried setting the sensitivity in the GP-10, it could not "see" the B string, and thought that the high E string was the 2nd (B) string.

I tried using one of my own Roland 13 pin cables to see if that was the problem, and no dice.  Same issue.

Then, I tried my guitar and both cables with my GR-55.  All 6 strings registered correctly there, so the problem was clearly the GP-10.  I returned it today for a full refund.  I suspect the guy who traded/sold it to the music store probably knew it had that problem because it was immediately obvious to me.  I think that at the music store, they just strum a chord and if sound comes out, they figure it works.  I don't think they were being dishonest in any way with me when they said they tried it.  I doubt they really know much about how these things should work.

Anyway, I am mentioning it here because the OP mentioned problems with the GP-10 and the B string too.  Coincidence?

Tony

vtgearhead

I would have tried hitting the 13-pin socket on the GP-10 with contact cleaner.

tbeltrans

Plugging and unplugging the same cable a several times, along with swapping cables and doing it again should have been enough.  No, I am satisfied with having returned the unit.  I have had a VG-8 in the past and now the GR-55, and did not have this sort of issue.

Tony

BackDAWman

I had a similar problem last night with my GP10. I finally got all my midi automation iron out but to my dismay the 'G' and 'D' strings stopped working. I did the whole reseat connectors process but to no avail. I finished the gig running straight into the guitar input using mag pups. I tested today through my GR55 and VG88 and neither failed at all even after hours of playing...

I'm just not having any luck with the GP10 of late. I also found much more stability with alt tuning on the GR55 so I may integrate it back into my rig to replace it.

tbeltrans

In my experience, Roland equipment is built like a battleship.  The stuff NEVER fails.  I have been around this stuff since the late 70s, and have always bought Roland and Yamaha equipment with great confidence.  I could have continued trying different things with the GP-10 that I returned, but I was just highly suspicious to even find a problem at all because it is Roland/Boss.  I returned it for a full refund and am satisfied that I did the right thing.

I have quite a few pieces of Roland gear here at home: V-Grand piano, BK-7m module, Integra-7 module, a Roland midi switcher (A-220?), a couple of their recorders, SY-300, GT-100, a pair of RC-300s, GR-55, etc.  Never have any of these things given me trouble.  The GP-10 seems to be different in that regard.

Tony

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

I read a 'review' of the roland  system-500 modular synth euro rack modules by a respected producer of modular synth modules. That was over at muff wiggler.

He took apart one of the modules and was very disapointed with the build quality of the roland product.

I wish i could post the link, but i can't from my flip phone.

Maybe as roland is trying to cut down on the cost of these products, they are also cutting quality and features, like 5 pin din midi jacks, plastic case parts, little product support, etc.

or maybe they just design and test for use with fender strats.

seems like much of the product support is done at vguitar forum.