GP-10- Amps or Speekers?

Started by Jim Williams, January 03, 2017, 06:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

I have been experimenting with the amp models in my GP-10 and speaker sims. I found that if I tried some EQ settings I could get close to the sound I want. So I went into my DAW and loaded some high end speaker IR's and the sound was just there. my sound was fat punchy and it felt good. I came to the realization that impulse responses are the way to go with any amp modeling. Now I don't want to run out there and buy more expensive processor I just want to get that sound live. Now I am sure Roland will not make a custom GP-10 for me that I can load IR's into so does anyone know of a pedal that I could put on the floor after my GP-10 to give me that?

Thanx,Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

admin

There are a few devices that add Cab IR

The Logidy ESPI is affordable and popular for this function

http://www.logidy.com
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11541.msg83889#msg83889

Majiken

Wow, I've been wondering about that, agree that IR is the wave, can perhaps overtake instrument modeling over time.... the Logidy looks good, but without midi control you'd have to reach down and handswitch every change???
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

admin

Neardark72

I like the slogan "everything is just beginning".
These products are a great idea. Thanks for pointing this up!

Jim Williams

Thank you for your input it has been very helpful. I think the Logidy is a perfect fit for my toys for that price. TWOS is just too much money but as a plugin it sounds great.

Neardark72

Hey Jim,
Can you givre us some feed-back about the gear?

It might Hell on the gr55 as well.

Thanks

DickBanks

My Line 6 Helix does IRs great. but that's a lot of box and $$$ just to chain in some IRs...
Fender GC-1 Stratocaster, Fender Locking Tuners, Super-Vee Blade Runner Trem
Boss GP-10
Line 6 L3T
Record to Scarlett 2i4 --> Ableton Live

Jim Williams

QuoteHey Jim,
Can you givre us some feed-back about the gear?

It might Hell on the gr55 as well.

Thanks

I have a GT-100, GR-55, GP-10, POD HD500X and some older Boss/Roland processors. The only thing with the GR-55 is when you add an IR after the output the synths are subject to same cab sound.

Jimmy.

Neardark72

True,
And i didn't even thought about it... But those gears can be bypass on the songs or parts you use synth.

I use the gr55 a lot for changing tuning, it prevents to bring 5 guitars in a gig or making everyone waiting after you while you change the tuning. I hate most of the metal tones in it though.

Might have to buy a HD500x but with the current rates, it's 40% more expensive in Canada. With five kids, there's things more important that spending 1000$ on a hobby. And I already have 2000$ in mind without it  ;D

jonathanmaness

It seems like the Neunaber Iconoclast might be perfect for this.  I preordered one and can weigh back in a few weeks.

Neardark72

JiveTurkey

I've just started in on the amp modeling side of the GP. I have an Atomic amplfire I use for traditional guitar tones. Might have to give the GP 1959 sim a go, speakers off and run it through some celestion IRs loaded up in the Atomic's cab block  :o Curious how that would effect things like sax and horn tones as I would just run the same IR the majority of the night.

admin

QuoteCurious how that would effect things like sax and horn tones as I would just run the same IR the majority of the night.

It will sound same as mic'ing a sax into a guitar amp  - no high frequencies

Thats the battle - signal flow for good electric guitar tone ( with IR cab sims) is in conflict with the best signal flow for synths / acoustic tones.( where full range / flat response works best.

These same concepts were explained in 2014 when you used a GR-55
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=11946;area=showposts;start=175

JiveTurkey

Quote from: admsustainiac on March 03, 2017, 08:20:01 AM
It will sound same as miking a sax into a guitar amp  - no high frequencies

Thats the battle - signal flow for good electric guitar tone ( with IR cab sims) is in conflict with the best signal flow for synths / acoustic tones.( where fill range / flat response works best.
Exactly as I expected. Plenty of switching options in the Atomic and the GP (despite the limited # of physical switches). Blending and routing signals is, as always; another big part of the "battle"