Spotted for sale: 13-pin custom Tele at a music store in Suburban Twin Cities

Started by aliensporebomb, December 13, 2016, 02:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

I saw this guitar today and figured someone here might want to know about it:

The music store is LaVonnes Vintage Guitars in Savage, Minnesota.

The guitar is built from a Fender Telecaster custom and has only 13-pin circuitry:

I always keep my eye out when shopping for something of interest to folks on the board here and figured some of you might have interest:

Two pictures:

Here is the second shot showing the 13-pin jack:

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

tbeltrans

That is tempting, however, I have probably spent enough for a while.  My wife has not complained since my contract money is pretty much for toys now that we are retired, but over the past month or two, here is what I have purchased:

1 Boss RC-300
1 Boss GT-100
1 Roland GR-55
1 Roland SY-300
1 Godin Multiac ACS SA nylon string  (to use with the GR-55)
1 used Godin Multiac Encore 7 string nylon string (no synth access)
1 Richard McClish OPT-01 filter board installed in the GR-55 (thanks to this forum for cluing me in on that)

My current engineering contract ends next week, so the money for this stuff will also stop at that point.  The good thing is that it was my choice to end at that time, and I have been asked to come back when I am ready next year.  Until then, I go back into retirement so I have time to learn how to use this stuff.  I am really especially interested in learning my own way around the 7 string guitar. 

I have an Acoustic Image Coda R combo amp that I bought on closeout at Groth Music a number of years ago.  It has been packed away since I no longer play in a jazz group.  I tried it with my 7 string and it sounds wonderful.  So I have my 7 string going into my SY-300, then into my Digitech Trio+, and then into the Acoustic Image.  That should give me a trio and synth.  The combination may not work well at all, but then again it just might be interesting, and definitely unique.  I am thinking that if I can subtly add in the SY-300 to give the overall sound some extra life instead of raw analog-style power, that may just do the trick.

Tony

bbob

??? Can't get the pictures to show.

Tried both a Dell desktop and iPhone  ???

tbeltrans

drbill

GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

gumtown

The original pictures seem to have gone M.I.A.

Here is another tele with a GK-3 on it picture.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Quote from: gumtown on December 14, 2016, 01:50:05 AM
The original pictures seem to have gone M.I.A.

Here is another tele with a GK-3 on it picture.

At least no string-muting problems there !!!!

;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

aliensporebomb

Try this again.  My wife was recording voiceovers last night and I had to shut my computer down that was hosting the pics to avoid the noise.

Not sure who put this together but it's pretty basic and I wonder who else in town is "all GK all the time"? - or worse: WAS!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

I know many here love the Ghost Piezo  system

My experience has been the opposite. Which IMHO questions the veracity of the Ghost Piezo user as I will consider the source as suspect and divide by 2 any further opinions they express.

Problems I experienced with the Graphtech Ghost Piezo systems are

* high adjacent string crosstalk. Use the VG-99 string sensitivity LCD screen , pluck the "D" string  , and watch the A and G string meters move at almost same level.  This adjacent string crosstalk spells disaster for DSP Alt tuning and Guitar to MIDI.

* high noise and hiss from the Graphtech ghost hex preamp. It's a shower of hiss.
The designers of this preamp must have figured " sure its crap, but who cares about poor noise floor on our hex 6 channel preamp for the 13 pin output, its only feeding a guitar to MIDI System and the noise from our highly profitable preamp will never be heard since it's just going to be triggering a Guitar to MIDI system driving a PCM  synth / sampler/rompler".

Wrong - On the VGuitar COSM modeling systems and Antares ATG -1 , the raw vibrating string and its preamp are an essential part of the signal chain , any noise in the hex 13 pin preamp will be heard in the final output signal of your GP-10, GR-55, VG-8,VG-88,VG-99.

To minimize the hiss when using  Ghost Piezo 13 pin guitars, one must employ the COSM GUITAR "NS" ( Noise suppressor) at all times ,with resulting poor dynamic range and lack of sustain.

* no palm muting. -if you play rock,surf,metal styles that require palm muting at the bridge, Ghost piezo just don't work

I know a few folks who got a new Godin Freeway SA and GR-55 , but gave up and will never return after their terrible experience

I would too if that gear was my only exposure to the GK 13 pin world!

Rhcole

I've had three GraphTech Ghost systems. The first was new on my Carvin in 2007, and it was very noisy. It eventually failed and was replaced by a new system that was much better but still had some noise.
My Freeway SA is dead-silent even with noise reduction off.

It's not as good of a guitar as my LGX-SA, but they are both very quiet systems.

carlb

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 14, 2016, 05:57:33 AM
<...> Not sure who put this together but it's pretty basic and I wonder who else in town is "all GK all the time"? - or worse: WAS!

I've been all GK for a number of years. Very minor exceptions (a real mando into the GP-10 1/4" input recently, even that in tandem with 13-pin modeled acoustic steel-string).

A few years back replaced the ghost systems in my Kiesel hollowbodies with RMC saddles and electronics. With anything high-gain or palm resting on bridge pieces, the ghosts would have hissy and buzzy-fits. Plus I'd be prone to just weird happenings occasionally like a spontaneous patch increment or such. All sorted now with the RMC setups.

I had iGuitar do the work (the custom shop of Brian Moore guitars, in NY).
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Tony Raven

Quote from: Elantric on December 14, 2016, 06:43:42 AMI know many here love the Ghost Piezo system   ...
Thank you for this. I've only had (brief) experience with one Ghost-equipped guitar, & wasn't at all impressed, but with all the enthusiastic reviews (& often disparagement of GK pickups), I figured it was my poor luck.

I'm an obsessive palm-muter, which likely is a further wedge between me & the Ghost. :(
Quote from: Elantric on December 14, 2016, 06:43:42 AM... a new Godin Freeway SA and GR-55 , but gave up and will never return
...& I'll bet most of them blame the GR-55 & now trash-talk everything Roland. ::)

I know a few folks who got a new Godin Freeway SA and GR-55 , but gave up and will never return after their terrible experience

I would too if that gear was my only exposure to the GK 13 pin world!
[/quote]