Katana - How to install the Firmware update, USB driver and Boss Tone Studio

Started by admin, December 09, 2016, 06:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

UPDATE HISTORY
[ Ver.4.00 ] DEC 2019
Katana Version 4 Newly Added Features
Effects expanded to 65 total types; Heavy Octave, Stereo Delay, and Pan Delay added
New Pedal FX section; Wah and Pedal Bend effects can be set up in BOSS Tone Studio
Dedicated mode for using as a slave amp for the Katana Mk II's Stereo Expand feature (except KATANA-50)

[ Ver.3.02 ] JAN 2019
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
Popping noise occurs when TONE SETTING is switched.
The SYSTEM parameter set in BOSS TONE STUDIO is initialized when KATANA version 2 is updated to version 3.

[ Ver.3.01 ] DEC 2018
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.
The minimum value and maximum value settings of an expression pedal specified by "ASGN" return to their default values when the power is turned off.

[ Ver.3.00 ] DEC 2018
Additional Functions
When using reverb or other stereo effects, USB Audio OUT carries the stereo signal.
"GE-10" was added to TYPE for EQ (PATCH EQ) and GLOBAL EQ.
"95E Pedal Wah" and "Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus-Echo" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
It is now possible to assign the parameters you want to the effect knobs on KATANA's top panel.
You can assign parameters to expression pedals with greater flexibility.

[ Ver.2.04 ] JAN 2018 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fix
When the POSITION value for GLOBAL EQ has been set using BOSS TONE STUDIO, the setting is sometimes not correctly applied to the audio.

[ Ver.2.03 ] ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
When switching between BANK A and B using a FS-5U unit connected to the EXP PEDAL jack on the GA-FC, in extremely rare cases, no sound is produced.
When pressing and holding TAP on the GA-FC to switch between setting either the DELAY or DELAY2 delay time, the indicator on the GA-FC sometimes fails to flash.

[ Ver.2.02 ] NOV 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
When TONE SETTING is set to "PANEL," after using the GA-FC (foot controller) to set respective effects to "OFF" and then again selecting "PANEL," the respective effects return to "ON."
Selecting a TONE SETTING for which EQ is set to "OFF" yields sound for which EQ is set to "ON."
When a MIDI Program Change message and Control Change message are received simultaneously, the Control Change message is not applied.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, all TONE SETTING Program Change numbers are set to "1." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set the Program Change number for each TONE SETTING.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, the SEND/RETURN values for BANK A and "PANEL" are set to "OFF." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set SEND/RETURN to "ON."

[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.
A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
"LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
"PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
"SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible.

[ Ver.1.02 ] OCT 2016 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Functionality Improvements
Support for BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA was added.
Noise when switching effects was reduced.
Bug Fix
No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection.

===

There is a specific sequence for success

A ) Must update Katana Firmware

B ) Install USB Audio / MIDI Driver

C ) Install Adobe AIR

D ) Install Boss Tone Studio

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100_212/downloads/
\KATANA SYSTEM PROGRAM (VER.3.00)
Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 3 as a set with KATANA series version 3.
How to tell the version
Please check the version of the system working on your KATANA before downloading the archive file.

Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.
If the indicators light up as described below, the system is at the latest version.
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "0.5W," the indicator for "DELAY/FX" and "REVERB" lights up.

If the indicators light up in a different way than just described, perform an update.
When you have finished verifying the version, turn off the power.
* Don't perform the update if the product is already up-to-date.

Update history
[ Ver.3.00 ] DEC 2018
Additional Functions
When using reverb or other stereo effects, USB Audio OUT carries the stereo signal.
"GE-10" was added to TYPE for EQ (PATCH EQ) and GLOBAL EQ.
"95E Pedal Wah" and "Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus-Echo" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
It is now possible to assign the parameters you want to the effect knobs on KATANA's top panel.
You can assign parameters to expression pedals with greater flexibility.

[ Ver.2.04 ] JAN 2018 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fix
When the POSITION value for GLOBAL EQ has been set using BOSS TONE STUDIO, the setting is sometimes not correctly applied to the audio.

[ Ver.2.03 ] ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
When switching between BANK A and B using a FS-5U unit connected to the EXP PEDAL jack on the GA-FC, in extremely rare cases, no sound is produced.
When pressing and holding TAP on the GA-FC to switch between setting either the DELAY or DELAY2 delay time, the indicator on the GA-FC sometimes fails to flash.

[ Ver.2.02 ] NOV 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
When TONE SETTING is set to "PANEL," after using the GA-FC (foot controller) to set respective effects to "OFF" and then again selecting "PANEL," the respective effects return to "ON."
Selecting a TONE SETTING for which EQ is set to "OFF" yields sound for which EQ is set to "ON."
When a MIDI Program Change message and Control Change message are received simultaneously, the Control Change message is not applied.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, all TONE SETTING Program Change numbers are set to "1." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set the Program Change number for each TONE SETTING.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, the SEND/RETURN values for BANK A and "PANEL" are set to "OFF." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set SEND/RETURN to "ON."

[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.
A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
"LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
"PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
"SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible.

[ Ver.1.02 ] OCT 2016 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Functionality Improvements
Support for BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA was added.
Noise when switching effects was reduced.
Bug Fix
No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection.

What you will need to update your KATANA
KATANA
USB cable
A computer with a USB connector ( Windows, Mac )
Caution when performing the update
Never apply this update data to any product other than the KATANA. This update data may destroy the data or system program of other products.
Never power-off your KATANA while the update is in progress!
If a power failure or similar accident occurs during the update process, the KATANA won't be able to start up in normal operating mode. This will require servicing, so you will need to contact Roland service center near you if this occurs.
We regret that we are unable to answer questions regarding the update procedure using this system program. Please perform the update responsibly, following the directions given in this document.
Getting the update file
Please open/extract the downloaded "katana_sys_v300.zip" file on your computer to get the two update files named "ROMINFO.TXT" and "KATANARM.BIN" in the "katana_sys_v300" folder.
Procedure for the update
Caution
You must not rename the extracted files.
Never turn off the KATANA's power while the update is in progress. Otherwise the system program or the KATANA itself may be destroyed.
Please install the extracted system program files into your KATANA according to the following procedure.
Adjust the [ MASTER ] knob to minimum.
* Do not connect the KATANA and the computer yet.
Turn the POWER switch on while holding down both the [ CH1 ] and [ PANEL ] Tone Setting buttons.
The indicators for the [CH1] ~ [CH4] buttons flash.
Connect the computer to the KATANA's USB port by a USB cable.
The indicators for the [CH1] through [CH2]/[CH4] buttons stop flashing and stay lighted, and a "BOSS_KATANA" drive appears on the computer screen.
Open the BOSS_KATANA icon.
"Removable Disk ( * : )" may appear instead of the BOSS_KATANA icon.
Copy (drag and drop) all the files included in the "katana_sys_v300" folder into the "BOSS_KATANA" icon.
* Do not copy the "katana_sys_v300" folder.
Disconnect the BOSS_KATANA from the computer.
With Windows 10 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 7
Right-click on the "BOSS_KATANA" icon in My Computer (or the "Removable Disk ( * : )" icon) and execute "Eject."
With Mac OS
Drag the "BOSS_KATANA" icon to the Trush icon in the Dock.
Disconnect the USB cable.
The [PANEL] button flashes.
Press [ PANEL ] button to start the update process.
While the update is in progress, the "EFFECTS" indicators light up.
When the update has finished, the "EFFECTS" indicators slowly flash simultaneously.
Turn the KATANA power off.
This completes the update operation. The new system program runs at the next startup.
Follow the procedure for verifying the version to verify that the version has been updated.

It's the same Firmware , USB driver and Boss Tone studio for all Katana versions

For the Katana Amp owners completely new to using a PC/Mac to edit your FX - here are some tutorials

Katana Owners Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/KATANA_e02_W.pdf

Work slowly - in this sequence

A) Update the Katana Amp firmware
How to tell the Katana Amp Firmware version

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-100/updates_drivers/b9da3bd3-ab7b-451a-9310-7c6fdb6d4b24/

Katana Firmware update procedure (firmware 2.02 or newer is required to use Boss Tone Studio)
QuoteCaution when performing the update
Never apply this update data to any product other than the KATANA. This update data may destroy the data or system program of other products.
Never power-off your KATANA while the update is in progress!
If a power failure or similar accident occurs during the update process, the KATANA won't be able to start up in normal operating mode. This will require servicing, so you will need to contact Roland service center near you if this occurs.
We regret that we are unable to answer questions regarding the update procedure using this system program. Please perform the update responsibly, following the directions given in this document.

1 ) Basically with no Katana USB connection to your mac/win PC, and Katana Amp powered OFF, first
Obtain the Katana Firmware version 2.02 that you download here:
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-50/updates_drivers/6bb0a283-8ae6-4813-966d-d85f505aac7f/

2 ) Navigate to your Browser's ( WIN) or OSX Download directory over on the lower right or Browsers Download directory , and locate the ""katana_sys_v204.zip" file and double click the Katana Firmware Download, and this opens up in a new "katana_sys_v2024" folder with two important firmware update files

3 ) Now go to the Katana Amp , and holding down both the [ CH1 ] and [ PANEL ] Tone Setting buttons, and turn on the AC Mains Power
(The LED indicators for the [CH1] ~ [CH4] buttons all flash.
Hint: This puts the Katana Amps into a USB Class compliant Storage device mode - to accept Katana firmware update files, and act like a "USB storage Drive" to your PC/Mac.

4 ) With a USB 2.0 cable (USB printer cable works) connect the Katana Amp to your Mac/PC USB port.
After a few seconds you should see a new Drive appear on the Mac /Win PC desktop.

5 ) On your computer, locate the "katana_sys_v204" folder from step # 2 , and double click on it and drag ONLY the two important Katana Firmware update files contained there (from step # 2) onto the "Katana Drive" icon (from step # 4)

It takes about 10 seconds to transfer both firmware update files 
** Drag only the 2 files, NOT the whole "katana_sys_v204" folder !

6 ) Now just like a USB drive, to avoid data corruption, unmount by dragging the "BOSS_KATANA" icon to the Mac Trash icon in the Dock lower right. (win PC users right click "Boss Katana Drive " and select "Eject

7 ) Now you can remove the USB cable, and the Katana's [PANEL] LED button flashes.

8 ) Press the [ PANEL ] LED button to start the Katana Firmware update process. Now Wait, while the update is in progress,  the "EFFECTS" indicators light up sequentially one by one to indicate the firmware update is in progress - when complete ( - takes about 30 seconds ) all EFFECTs LEDS begin to Pulse in unison

9 ) Turn the KATANA power off.
This completes the update operation. The new system program runs at the next startup.

B ) Install the Katana USB Driver for your operating system ( Win /OSX)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19476.msg139305#msg139305

* Boss Katana USB Driver for Windows 7/8/8.1
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-100_212/updates_drivers/d85d05e0-6363-46a4-bb36-b6eb5ab75270/

* Boss Katana USB Driver for macOS / OSX
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-100_212/updates_drivers/f2184ae5-e01e-4469-99dd-1bbd580e6372/

After you download the USB driver, Be sure to double click it to expand all files and locate the "README.HTM" file and click on it and your browser will open with Katana Driver Instructions
with all the detailed USB Driver installation procedure

It's very different for Windows 10 ,read the README file here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19688.msg141625#msg141625

* Boss Katana USB Driver for Windows 10
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-100_212/updates_drivers/077c869d-0c3f-4d46-a2c7-fa6b96257fff/

Lots of important info on USB Audio Routing,  Uninstalling the Katana USB Driver ,etc - those instructions are in the README.html file in the Katana USB Driver zip file

double click "README" You should be seeing a page that looks like this

C ) * Install Adobe AIR - get it here
https://get.adobe.com/air/
Windows 7, 8, 8,1, 10 , Download the Adobe AIR file "AdobeAIRInstaller.exe" and locate it - then "right click" and choose "Run as Administrator"

D ) * Install the Boss Tone Studio for Katana - this requires Adobe AIR and fast internet connection.

BTS for Katana (WIN))
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-100_212/updates_drivers/67106378-ef76-4716-a242-863e6c84d4f3/

or

BTS for Katana (MacOS 10.12 compatible)
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-head/updates_drivers/af6fd7ee-01d2-4ade-9c89-566045e59474/

Read the Boss Tone Studio for Katana Owners Manual PDF
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BTS_KATANA_e01_W.pdf

1st time you launch Boss Tone Studio, you will be prompted for the specific device BTS should connect with.
If you have successfully installed the Katana USB Driver from Step #2,   You will see three choices - choose "Katana" (the top one ) and click OK.

More details if you get into trouble during the Boss Tone Studio install here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19401.msg138923#msg138923

Elantric

Veritech wrote>
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/23165636/

Since I'm a tech I figured it out. (how to install Roland / Boss USB Audio / MIDI Driver on Windows 10)

First, you can't go get the drivers. Stupid Windows 10, and I say that as someone who really likes Windows 10, had the Katana driver as a WINDOWS UPDATE? What the hell? So I had to run a full Windows update to get the driver. Damn. That is not so easy.

Then even after that, I couldn't get the Tone Studio to install. After clicking the .exefile it just wouldn't run. Even when I ran it as administrator. Then I realized that Tone Studio uses Adobe Air, one of the most buggy pieces of software I have even dealt with in my 20 years as a tech. Once I realized that I went to the adobe site and downloaded Adobe Air. Rean the Tone Studio .exe file and everything is good.

But who in thir right mind is going to try all that? Especially the average guitarist who this amp is designed for. All this is going in my notes for my review. Not liking the software so far. At least the installation...

More details on installing Katana USB drivers
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19476.0

hernanseijas

I BOUGHT A kATANA 50, FOLLOWED THE STEPS TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE, BUT, SINCE I COULDNT RUN THE BOSS TONE I STARTED PLUGGING AND UNPLUGGING THE AMP AND TURNING IT ON AND OFF. AFTER I REALISED Y HAD TO DOWNLOAD ADOBE AIR AND I FINALLY COULD INSTALL BOSS TONE STUDIO. NOW MY AMP IS NOT RECOGNIZED BY THE PC AND THUS, CANT BE RECOGNIZED BY BOSS TONE STUDIO. WINDOWS SAYS: NOT CONTROLLER FOUND FOR THIS DEVICE. HELP!

Elantric

QuoteI BOUGHT A kATANA 50, FOLLOWED THE STEPS TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE, BUT, SINCE I COULDNT RUN THE BOSS TONE I STARTED PLUGGING AND UNPLUGGING THE AMP AND TURNING IT ON AND OFF. AFTER I REALISED Y HAD TO DOWNLOAD ADOBE AIR AND I FINALLY COULD INSTALL BOSS TONE STUDIO. NOW MY AMP IS NOT RECOGNIZED BY THE PC AND THUS, CANT BE RECOGNIZED BY BOSS TONE STUDIO. WINDOWS SAYS: NOT CONTROLLER FOUND FOR THIS DEVICE. HELP!

Your post implies you skipped Step 3 - installing Adobe AIR

You can NOT do this out of order - must follow each step sequentially in the specific order  - do not omit any step!

A ) Must update Katana Firmware to 1.02

C ) Install Adobe AIR

use this link to obtain BTS for Katana (Windows) - last known working version
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/zip/bts_katana_w102.zip

Edit :temporarily reset your system date to 2016 and this should install

contact Roland  / Boss - we are only end users here and can not do much to help

i see you are in Belfast Ireland

Here is Roland UK
https://www.roland.com/uk/company/contact_us/

PRODUCT SUPPORT
If, after consulting the product's owners' manual, you still need operational assistance you can contact our product support team by logging your enquiry via our Tech Support Form. Your enquiry will be logged and placed in a queue where we aim to respond to your enquiry within one working day.
Product Support is available Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4.30pm.
Please note that we can offer a selection of spare parts and consumables for almost every Roland and Boss product. To enquire about availability and prices please contact our Spares Team who can assist you with your enquiry:
Telephone: 01792 702701
INTERNATIONAL HELP
For those customers living outside of the United Kingdom, we have a list of International Websites for you to visit.
Registered Office
Roland (UK) Ltd
Atlantic Close
Swansea
SA7 9FJ
Tel: 01792 702701
Fax: 01792 515048
Company registered in England and Wales, no 1216941
Roland (UK) Ltd offices are open Monday to Thursday 9am – 5pm and Friday 9am to 4.30pm.

gumtown

Did you install the USB driver software first?
It is  VERY IMPORTAINT TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS which are provided with the file downloads.
Failure to follow driver installation instructions will usually result in perpetual driver failure
(from plugging in the Katana USB cable before the driver is installed).
Unless you are running Windows 10.

Your post is somewhat difficult to read too, all text in capitals (which represents shouting) and in one single line (not paragraphed).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Its very important to specifically follow each and every step to the letter - no substitutions
Don not skip any step in the Katana Firmware update, USB driver and Boss Tone Studio installation

Follow the procedure detailed in  1st post here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19688.msg141232#msg141232

A ) Must update Katana Firmware to 1.02

C ) Install Adobe AIR

kneagle

I'm running an older Mac Pro (2005 - ish) with OSX 10.6.8, and the Katana drivers don't support the ancient OS. Now I find that the computer is too old to update the OS. Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this? I really would like to use some of the effects from the Tone Studio, but I hate to have to buy a new computer when mine is problem free for lo, these many years and works fine for all my other needs.

Elantric

Common issue with pre 2010 Macs as most recent Audio software requires More recent versions of OSX

Might need a different computer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/what-to-do-if-your-mac-cant-run-os-x-yosemite/amp/?client=safari

kneagle

bummer - I guess I might check Craigslist for a cheap used PC laptop. Can anyone offer advice on a reliable one - or known issues to steer clear of?

gumtown

Your old mac hardware will only support a 32 bit operating system and software, all the current mac's run 64 bit everything.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on January 13, 2017, 04:10:04 PM
Yes

I own one , it makes a good Hackintosh too

I'm thinking seriously about picking one up.  Currently using an older ThinkPad T61 (Core2), which is a bit sluggish by today's standards.  They don't say one way or the other, but at that price it's probably not equipped with an SSD drive.  Based on eBay BIN prices it looks like an upgrade to 2x4GB modules would run about $35.

Elantric

Its not a SSD at that price - these were"new" back in 2011-2012

Dell Latitude - E6430 it will take 16 GB
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/latitude-e6430

http://toomanycomputers.blogspot.com/2014/01/dell-latitude-e6430-upgrade.html

I love it because it still has an ExpressCard54 expansion slot, and it works with the Dell E-Port Docks

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7574-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-and-system-mods/

A E6430 can be had for ~US$200-300 on ebay-US . Its performance-price ratio and its durable MIL-spec build is great for a portable 14" package. Consider these features:

socketted CPU allows a easy user upgrade i7-quad, with multi unlock capability for i7-37x0QM, i7-38x0QM and i7-39x0XM CPU OC.
can use up to 2133MHz PnP memory modules and/or enable XMP Profiles for up to ~158% better RAM performance compared to the stock single channel 1x4GB option when paired with a i5/i7 CPU.
14" with dual-LVDs 900p option.
switchable Graphics NVS5200M dGPU option with Optimus, similar performance to a GT720M/GT620M and faster than the HD4000 iGPU.
expressCard Slot (4Gbps) allows to connect expansion cards or even eGPU for gaming, video editing CUDA/OpenCL processing or driving more external LCDs.
ODD can be swapped with a second 2.5" 9.5mm SATA-III 6Gbps SSD or HDD in a caddy & in a JBOD, RAID-0 (performance) or RAID-1 (redundancy) configuration.
upgradeable WLAN : non-whitelisted bios allows upgrading to any half mini pci-e card (3 antennas waiting)
internal WWAN/3G capable : non-whitelisted install a WWAN/3G, a mobile SIM and surf the internet anywhere.
extra half mini pci-e port under the WWAN port
backlit keyboard option: great for night time use
battery options include a 65Wh 6-cell, 97Wh 9-cell battery, 3-cell 30Wh E-module Battery (replaces the ODD) and 97Whr 9-cell clip-on slice via the docking connector with a total according to Dell 32.7h! It can recover 80 percent of its charge in an hour of charging.
eGPU @ x2 2.0 (8Gbps) capable compining two of the mPCIe ports.
dynamic TOLUD to easy accomodate eGPU and/or ability to manually set TOLUD (from 1GB to 3.25GB) using UEFI variables freeing up PCI space to host more than one eGPU units.

kneagle

Re: checking the current firmware on the Katana - I don't get it - how can the amp (without being online) know if a new firmware has been released and if it has the current one installed?

Elantric

QuoteRe: checking the current firmware on the Katana - I don't get it - how can the amp (without being online) know if a new firmware has been released and if it has the current one installed?

Because they know the state of the initial shipped firmware version, in response to the following test:

How to tell the Katana Amp Firmware version
Please check the version of the system working on your KATANA
* Move the [POWER CONTROL] switch to "STANDBY."
* Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.
* If any "TONE SETTING" indicator is flashing, carry out update.
* If all "TONE SETTING" indicators are dark, the unit is at the most recent version. No update operation is necessary.
* When you have finished verifying the version, turn off the power.
* Don't perform the update if the product is already up-to-date.

Watch the video here

Elantric

Elantric

BTS for Katana (WIN))
use this link to obtain BTS for Katana (Windows) - last known working version
BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA for Windows is again available for download (May 26, 2017).
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-100_212/updates_drivers/67106378-ef76-4716-a242-863e6c84d4f3/

BTS for Katana (MacOS 10.12 compatible)
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-head/updates_drivers/af6fd7ee-01d2-4ade-9c89-566045e59474/

Elantric

Katana Boss Tone Studio "How To" Guide
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BTS_KATANA_e01_W.pdf

BOSS TONE STUDIO FOR KATANA VER.3.0.0 FOR WINDOWS
Please refer to the "Using BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
When you use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA

When you use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA, please install a driver for your product in advance.
KATANA Driver for Windows 10
KATANA Driver for Windows

Update history
[ Ver.3.0.0 ] DEC 2018
Support for KATANA Version 3 was added.
Functions added in KATANA Version 3 are now editable.
[ Ver.2.1.0 ] JAN 2018
Support for KATANA-Artsit was added.
[ Ver.2.0.0 ] OCT 2017
Support for KATANA Version 2 was added.
Functions added in KATANA Version 2 are now editable.
[ Ver.1.0.2 ] MAR 2017
Bug Fixes
Unintended patch data sometimes being sent during a patch-selection operation was corrected.
Some keyboard operations failing to work properly was corrected.
Other modification to the behavior of the user interface were made.

DOWNLOAD AND EXPAND THE ARCHIVE FILE
Download the file named "bts_katana_w300.zip".
It is an archive file in zip format, please double click on the file to expand. After expanding the file, "BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA.exe" will be appeared.

HOW TO INSTALL
* When installing BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA for Windows, keep the computer connected to the Internet.
* BOSS TONE STUDIO uses Adobe Air. If an Adobe Air-related screen appears during installation, click [ Yes ] to continue installation, or go to https://get.adobe.com/air/ to install or update.

If You're Already Using BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA
Before you install the new version, you must first uninstall the version of BOSS TONE STUDIO that you're currently using.
* Uninstalling the program does not delete live sets saved in the Library.

- Uninstallation Procedure
Click the Windows [Start] button.
Click to select [Control Panel] - [Uninstall a program] or [Control Panel] - [Programs and functions].
In the list, click "BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA" and then click the [Uninstall] button.

Copy the "bts_katana_w300" folder to the drive of your computer.
Double click the BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA.exe just downloaded to start installation.
Follow the instructions in the dialogue boxes to proceed.
When the "Installation has been completed." message appears, click [close] to finish.

STARTING THE APPLICATION
Turn on KATANA.
Connect KATANA and computer with USB cable.
Double click the BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA icon.
Selection screen of connecting device will appear for the first time you run the software. (After the second time running, the device will be chosen automatically.)
Select KATANA and click [ OK ].
* The device can be changed from the SETTING.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
OS
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 10
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 8.1
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 (Service Pack 1 or later)
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo or faster
RAM
1GB or more
Resolution
XGA ( 1024 x 768 ) or more

* Internet connectivity is required for using functions of TONE CENTRAL and downloading updated version of TONE STUDIO. (Please note that you might be charged for packet fee depends on your connectivity service.)
* This software has been found to work on typical computers that meet the above requirements, but we do not guarantee that it will operate on all such computers. Please be aware that differences in design or conditions of use may produce differences in the processing power of otherwise similar computers.

Beanow

Quote from:  Elantric
use this link to obtain BTS for Katana (Windows)  - last known working version
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/zip/bts_katana_w100.zip

Isn't that the older version?
Did mirror the later version here https://github.com/katana-dev/docs/raw/master/resources/LEGACY_bts_katana_w102.zip

admin

Boss Tone Studio for Windows is back up again as of 26th May 2017

And here is the alternate editor with access to the extra sneaky amps and extra effects.
KATANA FxFloorBoard
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/experimental/

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24239726/
QuoteI finally got the Katana USB driver for Windows 10 loaded and BTS going when paying attention to NO OTHER USB CONNECTIONS other than keyboard and mouse.
(had to remove the external USB hard drives before I could  get the Katana USB driver for Windows 10 to download & install over the internet
I am self-employed Adobe dude and forgot my external hard drives were attached via USB. For initial tests I assigned tones from the library to each of my channels before lunch, then connected my GA-FC (that I had with my GA-212) after lunch and everything worked as expected.