Katana - Couple of questions

Started by supernicd, December 06, 2016, 06:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

Given all the buzz around Katana amps and the price point it is getting hard to resist having one of my own.  Couple of questions:

Is it true that certain parameters can only be accessed via a computer and BTS?  I know it seems like a minor thing, but ideally everything would be accessible from the panel - even if it were kind of tedious to do so.  The way technology changes, you could eventually find yourself having to maintain a specific computer just to change your Katana settings...

Second, my thought would be to use this with a GP-10, with the Katana providing the amp tone stack, and the internal Katana "FX pedals" providing "post" type effects (delay, reverb, etc) and the GP-10 providing guitar modeling, alt tuning, and possibly some "pre" effects such as distortion pedals, wah, etc.  For this it would seem like going from the GP-10 out into the front of the amp would work well.

It would also be nice to use the GP-10 for occasional synth or non-traditional guitar sounds - think along the lines of ainsoph's patches.  So I'm wondering how this amp would perform with GP-10 synth type sounds in the configuration above, using, say, the acoustic amp channel?  Does it have enough frequency response in that mode, and is the speaker in the 100W 112 up to the task of delivering these types of tones?  Even if it's not a 100% faithful FRFR experience, is the frequency response wide enough to be usable?

Last question.  I don't see any kind of lead/solo/boost type selector on these amps.  A lot of amps, and even the Boss/Roland modelers will let you engage some kind of solo switch and set a different volume to use when that switch is engaged.  Does the Katana have any kind of feature like that? 
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

Many Use GP-10 as a Guitar modeler in front of their Amp , it can work

The KATANA FAQ has answers
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19048.0

admin

QuoteLast question.  I don't see any kind of lead/solo/boost type selector on these amps.  A lot of amps, and even the Boss/Roland modelers will let you engage some kind of solo switch and set a different volume to use when that switch is engaged.  Does the Katana have any kind of feature like that?

"SOLO" is a carry over from the Boss GT effects, it adds a bit more gain for leads 

On some Roland / Boss products the "SOLO" ( with Solo Switch and Solo Level) can be controlled directly as Control Assignment Targets  

But not on MS-3 or Katana - instead adjust the Solo Settings  to taste and save with the FX1

supernicd

Thanks for the clarification!  I never did pick up a Katana.  My local non-big-box music store finally added them to their stock.  I need to get in there and play one for myself!
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------