Sy-300 "dead" fret / note on an otherwise professionally setup J bass fretboard?

Started by JackoBass, September 10, 2016, 07:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackoBass

Hey all - I recently had my trusty MIM passive 4 string J bass setup (including a fret job) and it plays like butter. Somewhat low action, but when I play through either direct into my amp or through a philosophers tone, all notes ring out up and down the neck with just a little bit of growl. Yes I like fairly low action I suppose, but within spec (about 5/64ths at the 12th fret).

I also have spent a good deal of time setting up my Sy-300 - in bass mode, input compression/sustain set well and it sounds great on all patches. EXCEPT for my 11th fret on the G string. The 10th fret rings. The 12th fret rings. The G/11th just clunks. Pick, finger style, "digger" style, doesn't seem to matter. It's setup for D standard tuning, but even tuned up to E the problem persists. I tried raising the action 1/64th or so and it doesn't really do anything for that one clunky note.

Any thoughts? Do I have a dead fret that only my SY-300 seems to pick up on?

Thanks!

BBach

Is it possible that the note range of one or more of the occilators is set to miss that note or faded so that it renders an insufficient signal ?

todddlur

shawnb

My bet is fret buzz, setup.  Might need it a little higher.  Something is screwing up tone detect. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

JackoBass

Quote from: todddlur on September 12, 2016, 06:35:16 PM
the fender curse, dead note on the G string.

Well son of a...

I'm actually a drummer by trade, but I've owned several basses over the past 20 years without this issue. And straight into the amp, it's much less pronounced (even missing). As a talkbass forum post said, the dead spot moves down the neck when I tune back to E. I've been using Roto swing jazz round 45's, but in reading a few threads on this "dreaded" fender issue, I might try a new nut, tuners and 50 or 55's to increase tension and headstock weight. Bummer. Thanks!

JackoBass

If anyone stumbles onto this thread, the problem lessened when I went up to 110-50 Rotosound 66's. I also put a pigtronix philosopher's tone I had lying around in front of it and turned off the internal input compressor and that seemed to also help even things out. It no longer honks when I hit that note so I guess I live with it.