VG-99- Strategy to overcome lack of Roland Support for VG99

Started by pasha811, September 06, 2016, 12:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Years ago I got myself a JV1010 Roland expander. It is still with me but from Roland perspective it's 'Abandonware'
Today I can edit patches on my Mavericks' 2013 iMac.
I am using Virtual Box with a legit XP copy inside and I can connect to USB virtual ports even if the Mac has no driver for it. So I can use the VM to manipulate patches.
Thinking about VG99 that will miss the USB to MIDI and Audio capability very soon on Mac OS X when Sierra arrives.. that will also be complemented with no more editor. So I was thinking about getting a legit W10 copy and put it in a virtual machine. Virtual Box comes for free. At least I will be able to use the editor in the future.
MIDI can be supplied via MIDI interface and Audio by hooking to an audio card.

What do you think?
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Headless68

Better than keeping old tech around just so the 99 software works - I wish Roland would surprise us all with new flagship though :-)

gumtown

QuoteI wish Roland would surprise us all with new flagship though :-)

SURPRISE !!!

You just got what you asked for..... is it not what you expected?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Headless68

To be honest, brexit will make no real difference to me, other than the pound to dollar drop :-)
Everything goes on as before, supply & demand does not change

Elantric

I use A virtual image of Win7 64 Pro and run under VMWare Fusion on my Mac

I still find Win7 64 Pro the most compatible and Win10 a nightmare

gumtown

VMware images of old operating systems are great that they can be cloned/copied/moved to other systems without the need to do a new install of the old system.
I still use a VMware image of Windows 98 for a few old DOS based utility programs. (as well as WinXp, Linux 32 & 64, and mac osx)
It has been transported to many computer upgrades over the years, with the Win98 programs still installed and running like it's 1999.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

"...with the Win98 programs still installed and running like it's 1999 ..."

...yeah, what year is it in NZ at the moment anyway Colin ?    ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

pasha811

Well,

Thank you for the answers!
I use Virtual Box as it's free and works great, so I spare some bucks for my gear :-)

I hould have an XP licence somewhere.. looks like Win10 it's a no go for the moment.. :-)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

mooncaine

Hey, maybe I could use Virtualbox to run an older Mac OS on the new MacBook Pro, to keep the ability to use the VG-99 Editor!

(Or I suppose I could run Windows in it if I had to).

alexmcginness

If youre plannin to do VG guitar to midi stick with Mac. The VG-99 USB ASIO drivers and the guitar to midi on a windows system are a glitchy nightmare compared to the VG-99 Mac USB Core Audio drivers and performance. This is commin from a dedicated PC guy who broke down and bought a Mac Book pro just to see if the Mac guys were right about this. Guess what? They were.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

Quote from: alexmcginness on April 29, 2017, 11:14:13 AM
If youre plannin to do VG guitar to midi stick with Mac. The VG drivers and the guitar to midi on a windows system are a glitchy nightmare compared to the Mac drivers and performance. This is commin from a dedicated PC guy who broke down and bought a Mac Book pro just to see if the Mac guys were right about this. Guess what? They were.

Look for a gently used 2011 MacBook Pro that has OSX Yosemite or older

Avoid the latest model and avoid OSX Sierra

alexmcginness

Quote from: Elantric on April 29, 2017, 11:23:52 AM
Avoid the latest model and avoid OSX Sierra
Yup, stupid me I upgraded mine to Sierra cause Im not a Mac guy and didnt and still dont know how to back up a MAc so that I can restore it if something goes wrong. I can do it on a PC in my sleep cause I know how to and I speak PC. Sadly I dont speak Mac. Everything is easy when you know how but when you dont speak the language.... everything is a roll of the dice.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Brak(E)man

Use an external hd to boot Yosemite

My advice would be , never update unless you have to
I'm still on 10.3 , 10.6 & 10.10

For backup use the time machine ( in the system ) and another external hd
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

Quote from:  alexmcginness
?????? see? To a PC guy what youve posted there is fluent Mac speak.  I asked my brother whos a Mac guy if, for example,  its easy to put W7 on an MAc? Of course he said theres all sorts of tutorials on Youtube. So I looked and yup theyres all sorts of tutorials and theyre all different. Since I dont speak Mac, im sure I would have bricked my machine. The only way Im gonna get this back to OSX? is to go to a shop and pay the cash and have it done because if I try to do it myself....Im gonna have to take it to a shop and pay even more cash anyways, to undo the "easy" stuff Ive screwed up, and then pay to get the old OS put back on and not update the machine again.
  There is great truth in the saying that switching from PC to MAC is like moving to a foreign country but not being able speak the language.

It's much easier than most pc persons realise  :)
You can check via AppStore if you have "purchased" an earlier version of osx, FI Yosemite , it's free.
( it can be hidden , I have no idea why they do it like that)
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202320
Ifso you can download and install that version on an external Hd.
http://osxdaily.com/2014/06/09/install-os-x-yosemite-on-external-drive/
(It's hard to do something really screwed up on a Mac.)
After that's done you can boot holding option down and choose which system to start up from.
http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/22/boot-mac-external-drive/

The backup system , aka time machine , backs up the system and everything else on the system drive
Easy to use
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

And if you need help , I can try to assist.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

alexmcginness

Ill just take it into a shop and get it fixed. I work on the 50/50/90 rule. If theres a 50-50 chance I could get it right theres a better than 90% chance Ill completely fork it up.

mooncaine

Quote from: Brak(E)man on April 30, 2017, 01:03:09 AMUse an external hd to boot Yosemite

In my case, that's not an option. Apple apparently builds in some ways to force the machine to reject the earlier OS. It won't boot.

In Alex's case, for backing up, it's good news: get an external drive or 2 (I like 2). Use one as the so-called "Time Machine," which is a built-in backup service on your Mac. Attach drive, go to Time Machine prefs and pick that drive to be your Time Machine... and you'll probably never have to think about it again.

That's a steady rolling backup. It deletes old stuff to make room for new stuff (IOW, it does a "diff" backup). That's why I like my Time Machine to be 2x the size of my hard drive, minimum.

If you want to be able to choose what you keep on a backup, that's what external drive # 2 is for. I used Carbon Copy Cloner Superduper! to clone my entire MacBook Pro drive to this external as a bootable volume (but I haven't even tried it on Sierra yet). It only needs to be as big as the hard drive it's backing up. Until last week, I used external, bus-powered, cheap Thunderbolt drives, but I have not yet learned if I will still be able to use them with the new MacBook Pro. They're handy because, as soon as I plug one in, the backup starts, no need for clicking or even plugging in a power adapter. Just don't try moving them while they are working.