Using FTP in no-stantard tuned guitar

Started by alvarog01, August 24, 2016, 02:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alvarog01

Hello, I am about to purchase a Fishman TriplePlay unit, but due I can't test it before, I would sincerely appreciate help on clarifying the following (that haven't found on the website): does it track fine on guitars that are not setup in standard tuning? In particular I play in Drop A#.

I don't plan to use the included software capabilities, instead of using the FTP as a mere MIDI trigger inside my DAW (Ableton Live 9), with third party VST plugins. I have tried Jam Origin MIDI guitar and its ok but I have read that FTP's tracking is much better.

Thank you in advance,

admin

QuoteHello, I am about to purchase a Fishman TriplePlay unit, but due I can't test it before, I would sincerely appreciate help on clarifying the following (that haven't found on the website): does it track fine on guitars that are not setup in standard tuning? In particular I play in Drop A#.

I anticipate problems if you use FTP Guitar to MIDI on a guitar where all strings are dropped 7 steps

There is more discussion of this restriction on the 50+page
Fishman Tripleplay thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5188.msg61212#msg61212

as always  - contact Fishman directly
http://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/help

alvarog01

hi, thanks for replying

technically strings 1-4 are 4 steps down and the 6th is 6 steps, but i also guess that maybe is too much for the converter. Anyway, I was looking for feedback on users who had previously tried FTP on guitars with no standard tuning.

So I'll contact Fishman, thanks again.

FishmanSQA

Quote from: alvarog01 on August 24, 2016, 02:39:45 PM
Hello, I am about to purchase a Fishman TriplePlay unit, but due I can't test it before, I would sincerely appreciate help on clarifying the following (that haven't found on the website): does it track fine on guitars that are not setup in standard tuning? In particular I play in Drop A#.

I don't plan to use the included software capabilities, instead of using the FTP as a mere MIDI trigger inside my DAW (Ableton Live 9), with third party VST plugins. I have tried Jam Origin MIDI guitar and its ok but I have read that FTP's tracking is much better.

Thank you in advance,

Hello,
There is another workaround for alternate tunings with TP. I'm not sure if this is specifically what you are looking to do, but I wanted to include the link here in case it's helpful.

Using Alternate Tunings with Fishman Tripleplay:

Best,
Sara

shawnb

Sara -

Welcome aboard & thanks for the link!

I think alvarog01's question wasn't how to get the FTP to do an alt tuning, rather, will the FTP track if your guitar is tuned using an alt tuning.  In this case, specifically, one that is very low, by a few semitones. 

Will the FTP track it properly? 

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp