Fretlight cable: can anyone help with cable pinout?

Started by hanson, April 06, 2016, 02:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanson

Just bought recently used Fretlight strat guitar for experimenting, and the 8 pin-to-usb cable was missing.
There are no fretlight dealers as far as I know, and they are selling accessories directly/online.
So it is $15 for cable and $93 for Fedex delivery to my location for 3m cable... and I think I would have to pay customs duties/taxes because of the total price is more than the limit. I can try different "tricks', but the minimum price will be approx. $60 for cable. What I think is too much for just 'advanced' usb cable.
So if anyone can give pinout schematic for 8 PIN MIDI DIN to 4 PIN USB cable (+I guess 3 additional pins are used for conventional double latching/momentary spdt-switching pedal, and 1 pin is not connected) - your help will be much appreciated.

Elantric

All connector pins are referenced from the outside view

SEE PDF ATTACHED

hanson

Wow, F A N T A S T I C !
Thank you very much for your efforts. Sure, it would help not only me - especially, to those people who don't need the connection of additional switching pedal.
Just will order 8 PIN DIN now...

P.S.: though, I think, fretlight footswitch uses stereo jack/socket and 3 pins in DIN - the 'ring' is somewhere

indigojake

Although this is now quite an old thread, there are still plenty of us around with wired Fretlight guitars. So this is really helpful.

Like Hanson's original post, I need to make up a cable as I bought a Fretlight Bass with no cable.

Elantric's invaluable post states "All connector pins are referenced from the outside view". This seems pretty clear to me, but I've seen another online reference (https://www.electronics2000.co.uk/pin-out/dincon.php) that shows the pins on a generic 8 pin DIN the other way round "viewed from mating face of plug" which sounds to me the same as the "outside view".

So as getting them the wrong way round would result in sending 5v to the Data pin, can I just check I'm absolutely clear on the pin numbering.

Am I correct that for a Fretlight cable, the pin numbering shown in Elantric's post is A) as they appear when holding the end of the cable with the exterior pins pointing towards me – rather than B) if I were looking at the inside of the plug with the soldered pin ends pointing at me?

I appreciate your help in getting the right.

indigojake