PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface

Started by CodeSmart, March 05, 2016, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgearhead

Great news, Robert!  Looking forward to getting mine :-).

CodeSmart

...and don't forget you folks having an earlier MIDX-20:

The new V2 firmware is free and available here: http://primovasound.com/midx_20_page2.html
You just download and install the new PC Assistant (you may have to uninstall the old PC Assistant first, if you ever used it) and the new V2 firmware is bundled. Pretty easy thing, assuming you have a USB to MIDI cable like UM-ONE MKII or similar to connect with the MIDX unit.

PC Assistant Manual V2 covering the new features here: http://primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX20_Assistant.pdf

http://primovasound.com/midx_20_page2.html
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19048.msg153081#msg153081
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

JeffVolume

I received my MIDX-20 last week.. Robert shipped the unit from Sweden to me in America superfast!
  I am still in the process of learning the ins and outs of this fantastic device...
   Setting it up to run my Katana head thru the Katana bridge software was a breeze.. I finally have 100% control of every parameter including sneaky amps via my midi foot controller..
   Next I will be testing the unit with my GP-10 ..
   Thanks Robert for all the hard work you put into this fantastic piece oe equipment !

CodeSmart

There's a bug in V2.0 firmware in the Katana Bridge.
- CC#40 Katana Noise Gate on/off does not work.

Also I will try to squeeze in CC#7 as "Volume pedal controller" requested by Snhirsch
I quote Snhirsch:
"This parm is independent of the various amplifier master volume settings and permits those to be used to balance relative gains between models while CC#7 controls overall level.  I believe this parameter is tied to the GA-FC 'Volume' expansion pedal jack (but otherwise not exposed in BTS or built-in MIDI CC). "

I hope to address the above during next week.
/Robert

Elantric

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 14, 2017, 03:36:19 AM

Also I will try to squeeze in CC#7 as "Volume pedal controller" requested by Snhirsch
I quote Snhirsch:
"This parm is independent of the various amplifier master volume settings and permits those to be used to balance relative gains between models while CC#7 controls overall level.  I believe this parameter is tied to the GA-FC 'Volume' expansion pedal jack (but otherwise not exposed in BTS or built-in MIDI CC). "

/Robert

Adjusting the Volume using an expression pedal occurs when connecting a Roland EV-5 to either the Katana's rear Expression pedal jack, or the Expression pedal jack on GA-FC.

I always thought both were tied to the same parameter

vtgearhead

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 14, 2017, 03:36:19 AM

I quote Snhirsch:

Cool, thanks!  For completeness, might also be helpful to implement the sysex-based reverb on/off.  I realize this can be accomplished through the built-in CC#18.

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on July 14, 2017, 07:46:56 AM
Adjusting the Volume using an expression pedal occurs when connecting a Roland EV-5 to either the Katana's rear Expression pedal jack, or the Expression pedal jack on GA-FC.

I always thought both were tied to the same parameter

Agreed.  My sense is that both of them target the same sysex parameter (pedal volume).

CodeSmart

Quote from: snhirsch on July 14, 2017, 10:11:46 AM
Cool, thanks!  For completeness, might also be helpful to implement the sysex-based reverb on/off.  I realize this can be accomplished through the built-in CC#18.

Why? I snag CC#18 at the bridge MIDI channel and passes it on to the Katana using the katana MIDI channel.
(And that goes for all built in CC#)

What will Sysex reverb on/off add to it?

rolandvg99

Love the new functionalities added. Give me an option to block a CC range and I'll be extatic! :)
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

CodeSmart

Quote from: rolandvg99 on July 16, 2017, 02:10:25 AM
Love the new functionalities added. Give me an option to block a CC range and I'll be extatic! :)

Why didn't I think of that. Great idea! I'll see if it's feasible.

vtgearhead

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 15, 2017, 08:43:32 AM
Why? I snag CC#18 at the bridge MIDI channel and passes it on to the Katana using the katana MIDI channel.
(And that goes for all built in CC#)

What will Sysex reverb on/off add to it?

Like I said, not critical, but it would appeal to my sense of symmetry to have a CC# adjacent to the reverb control range.  Just the way I (over) think matters - don't waste time on it :-).

CodeSmart

Please note that a New MIDX-20 PC-Assistant software V2.02 has been posted
bundled with the new MIDX-20 Firmware V2.1 (and V2.0 and V1.3)

You will have to uninstall the old Assistant before installing the new version.

MIDX-20 Release notes:
V2.1 2017-07-17
Fix: Katana Noise Gate On/Off (CC#40) did not work.
New: Katana CC#7 - Global volume added.
New: Katana CC#8 - Store to current preset added.
New: Katana CC#9 - Store to selected preset (1-4) added.
New: CC# Operation/Translation: 'Remove CC# Range' added.

All manuals updated, new PDF versions posted.
(you may have to clear cache in web browser, all docs should be dated 2017-07-17).

Download page:

vtgearhead

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 16, 2017, 04:46:47 PM
Please note that a New MIDX-20 PC-Assistant software V2.02 has been posted
bundled with the new MIDX-20 Firmware V2.1 (and V2.0 and V1.3)

MIDX-20 Release notes:
V2.1 2017-07-17

All manuals updated, new PDF versions posted.
(you may have to clear cache in web browser, all docs should be dated 2017-07-17).

Download page:

As always, your responsiveness and productivity are awe-inspiring!  Thanks, Robert.

And, I'd like to publicly thank you for your kind words about me in the MIDX-20 manual.  Very much appreciated.

rolandvg99

Man, that was quick. Off to re-use my VoiceLive 3 extreme as a Katana controller. Thx, Robert.  :D

Magiamusical

I'm trying to make my GP-10 and GR-55 to change programs sent by Bandhelper or Setlist Maker. Tried different configuration on the MIDX-30 but the only thing I get is when I change the program in the GP10 the GR-55 changes to the same number as the GP-10. What would be the setting for the MIDX-20 to achieve what i'm trying to do. Attached is a graphic representation of my setup.

THANKS,
Godin LGXT, Les Paul Studio w/GK3, JTV89F w/GK3, GR-55

CodeSmart

Quote from: Magiamusical on July 22, 2017, 10:19:01 PM
I'm trying to make my GP-10 and GR-55 to change programs sent by Bandhelper or Setlist Maker. Tried different configuration on the MIDX-30 but the only thing I get is when I change the program in the GP10 the GR-55 changes to the same number as the GP-10. What would be the setting for the MIDX-20 to achieve what i'm trying to do. Attached is a graphic representation of my setup.

THANKS,

Can set list maker be configured to transmit two PC commands for each song, one at channel 1 (for GP-10) and one at channel 2 (for GR-55)? If so, configure the GR-55 to listen to channel 2, as GP-10 always listens to channel 1.

CodeSmart

A kind Norwegian customer recently made me aware that setting the BPM (Clock) through the MIDX USB ports did not work with Roland/Boss gear.
Quote: "I'm sending tempo from a Boss RC-505 loop station through a MIDI solutions Quadra Thru to MIDX-20 with a GT-001 connected to the LWR USB port. GT-001 receives PC and CC from loop station but not clock."

This problem is now fixed and a New MIDX-20 PC-Assistant software V2.03 has been posted bundled with the new MIDX-20 Firmware V2.2 (and V2.0 and V1.3)

MIDX-20 Release notes:
V2.2 2017-07-25
Fix: Realtime messages like clock (BPM) to Roland USB devices (GP/GT/GR/VG/SY) did not work. Fixed.

V2.1 2017-07-17

Download page:

tuquoque

Is MIDX-20 able to control Boss BR-80?
Just wondering, because it uses COSM and has a USB port.

gumtown

Quote from: tuquoque on July 29, 2017, 03:45:29 PM
Is MIDX-20 able to control Boss BR-80?
Just wondering, because it uses COSM and has a USB port.
There is not much to control in a BR-80 (micro multi-recorder), the effects are not accessible via midi/sysx, there are no assigns or input midi options.
They only midi options I found in the BR-80 is to play the internal drum machine and send midi start/stop.

Even if the MIDX can communicate with the BR-80, you need the BR-80 to have a midi In/Out subsystem.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

rolandvg99

A future request: posibility to assign two zones to an expression pedal.
I.e. 0-100 operates Wah pedal range and 127 toggles Wah on/off.

This is a technique I've used since the early days of VG-88 and one I'm missing with the Katana.

CodeSmart

Quote from: rolandvg99 on August 02, 2017, 01:19:15 AM
A future request: posibility to assign two zones to an expression pedal.
I.e. 0-100 operates Wah pedal range and 127 toggles Wah on/off.

This is a technique I've used since the early days of VG-88 and one I'm missing with the Katana.

Yup, also thought about it. May add it later if I can dig up enough bytes. There's just 106 bytes of code left... ::)
I guess throwing out the Mustang bridge would be the next step.
Trust me I really tried to optimize and compress every corner of the code over and over again.
Also there's a MIDI boot loader in there eating up space (the boat loader is the guy allowing field upgrade of MIDX firmware).

If I do any future incarnation of the MIDX hardware I'll go for more memory.
64K ROM / 8k RAM / 256 bytes EEPROM is not really jaw dropping these days.

However amazing how much can be done with sparse resources if tweaking things carefully.

vtgearhead

Throw out the Mustang bridge?  Is that not a feature that's getting used?  How difficult would it be to offer a couple of different firmware builds?  I can always use my Mustang bridge software on a Beaglebone if necessary, but it's nice to have it in the convenient form-factor of the MIDX-20.  Would hate to see it go.

Idgolfguy

CodeSmart

Quote from: snhirsch on August 09, 2017, 06:35:47 PM
Throw out the Mustang bridge?  Is that not a feature that's getting used?  How difficult would it be to offer a couple of different firmware builds?
Very easily actually. But that require people going through a PC Assistant firmware selection procedure if the thing is not configured properly at arrival.

CodeSmart

Quote from: Idgolfguy on August 10, 2017, 03:05:48 PM
Could buy a second one?
Sure, email me and I'll hit you with recurring customer special price. I'm never impossible...