PRIMOVA GX-2 GEAR SHIFTER - Hex Pre-Amp, 2x2 Switcher / Modulation Device

Started by CodeSmart, August 05, 2020, 02:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobulusprime

I've started using the GX-2 with the new GM800 recently. I've not been using the GX-2 much as a splitter and more as sustainer with SY1000.

I've become more aware of what sounds like a a 60 cycle ground hum with some higher static hiss that is generated when two units are connected to the GX-2. This is heard on the SY1000 (dynamic synths and guitar models) and not the GM800. The GM800 also does generate a few more stuck notes when connected. You can really hear a lot of noise floor when setting up the GK3 sensitivity on the SY1000 just listening to the raw GK pick up. For info I'm using genuine Roland GK13 cable and CodeSmarts patch cables and standard Roland power supplies. When I turn the GK AD converter off the hum goes away so it sounds like it is some kind of ground loop issue? However, there is no ground/earth connection on any unit including the mini mixer so I don't think it can be a ground loop issue...

I seem to remember that there was something you could do inside the GX-2 to try to combat this? Or is there another external device that might limit this noise? The GX-2 envelope doesn't affect the hum.

fokof

I have a similar issue , but with different gear
VB99>FC300 since I made my setup with the SY1000 and before I got the the GX-2, I had noise problem , tried to unplug signal cable one at a time to spot where it was coming from , noise disappeared when I unplugged the cat5 cable between VB99 and FC300. FC300 + VB99 on its own was perfectly silent.
Solution : plugged an 9v adaptor to the FC300 and powered it on with it's switch removed the problem.

My point being that ground loops can come from unexpected places

Schultzie29466

Been using and appreciating the GX-2F!  Great piece of kit.  I have been thinking of different ways to utilize the CTRL switches and expression capabilities.  My biggest question is the ability to send MIDI out to the connected units.  I know I can set a CTRL to a target of a CC number...where does that get sent?  Or, can I even send it to MIDI OUT?  If not it would be a great add to be able to define if it gets sent (with a MIDI Channel {or two} via either or both MIDI Outs.  Then I could define in a patch to use the expression pedal inside the GX-2F or pass it along to control one or both connected GK-Devices...

Any insight?

Elantric

Schultzie29466

So "No" the GX-2F cannot send CC messages created by the CTRL inputs to one or both MIDI outs.

Is this possible as a future firmware update?

fokof

Yes it does , I'm using that function.

Check with MIDI monitor what CC is sent.
Strangely , I have to set it up to CC73 to receive CC81 at the SY1000

Schultzie29466

Schultzie29466

I finally did get MIDI data across both MIDI out ports.  My issue was that it will send to both the OUT ports the one MIDI Channel that is specified in SYSTEM/GLOBAL MIDI OUT.  I had no need to use that function so it was set to 1.  SY-1000 is set to 7 and GR-55 is set to 9.  So from the units it appeared as not data was reaching it.  After connecting a MIDI Monitor between them, I noticed the issue.

Once I changed to SYSTEM/GLOBAL MIDI out to 7 or 9, both MIDI Outs were sending that one MIDI channel.  So to be able to change which unit can receive the data by patch isn't going to work, right now.  It is either one or the other.

Thanks for all the help.

CodeSmart

Quote from: Schultzie29466 on January 18, 2024, 06:30:45 AMI finally did get MIDI data across both MIDI out ports.  My issue was that it will send to both the OUT ports the one MIDI Channel that is specified in SYSTEM/GLOBAL MIDI OUT.  I had no need to use that function so it was set to 1.  SY-1000 is set to 7 and GR-55 is set to 9.  So from the units it appeared as not data was reaching it.  After connecting a MIDI Monitor between them, I noticed the issue.

Once I changed to SYSTEM/GLOBAL MIDI out to 7 or 9, both MIDI Outs were sending that one MIDI channel.  So to be able to change which unit can receive the data by patch isn't going to work, right now.  It is either one or the other.

Thanks for all the help.

Sorry for not being here so often. Both MIDI outputs are chained together in hardware and will always transmit the very same data.

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!