Buying New Looper, Delay & Beat Buddy pedal...Need Advice !!

Started by BobbyD, February 09, 2016, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyD

Hello tone junkies,

I have always loved looper pedals and even though Ableton (my DAW of choice)has a built in looper, I want a hardware pedalboard setup for solo gigs..

I was looking at three loopers which are the Pigtronix Infiniti, Boomerang, and the new TC Electronics Ditto X4

I really want to have a simple, yet powerful looping setup that is easy to use and hope that by using the right delay and looper, I can create some type of synergy.  So I was wondering if it makes sense to use the same manufacturer for delay & looper.  I know Pigtronixs and TC Elexctronics both make excellent products.  I am also going to add Beat Buddy and synch everything using MIDI.

I would love to hear from anyone is familiar with all three loopers and also what delay pedal you chose.  I do like the Strymon timeline delay with built in looper,  but that looper does  does not have the functionality I want.  I am not really into all the effects that some looper pedals come with like reverse & half speed, etc or maybe I would love them if I actually tried them.  To me, there are so many sonic possibilities just using your playing skills, these extra effects do not do much for me.  Having said that, I would still buy a looper with these effect like the new Ditto X4 if the design of pedal is better than the boomerrang or Pigtronixs.

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to respond.

BobbyD

35 views and not one tidbit of advice?   This used to be my favorite forum hands down.  All good, Maybe you didn't have experience with gear I mentioned.

GraemeJ

You probably answered your own question.  How many users here will have hands-on experience of three different loopers?  You might ask how many users here have any experience of looping at all?  I know I haven't.

35 is a very small proportion of the forum membership, I think a little patience is required.

Elantric

I have experience with these devices

but which one to recommend?

its like setting you up with a blind date  - only you can determine what gear works for YOUR Methods of working and expectations.

* Watch Youtube videos of all gear contemplated.

* Buy from a store with a larger inventory and friendly return policy

BobbyD

Quote from: Elantric on February 10, 2016, 11:53:08 PM
I have experience with these devices

but which one to recommend?

its like setting you up with a blind date  - only you can determine what gear works for YOUR Methods of working and expectations.

* Watch Youtube videos of all gear contemplated.

* Buy from a store with a larger inventory and friendly return policy

I always watch youtube videos and I am always impressed by all the demos. If you have experience with all three then let's compare them to woman for a second. I am sure they are all fun to play with but at the end of the day, there must have been one who connected  with you on a special  level and you  looked forward to spending time with her again. easy to get a long with, made you smile, stressless, easy to interact with, etc.   So tell me from your experience which doesn't mean I will like the same woman, who did it for you?  Rang, the Pig or Mrs X. The thing is and you make a good point which was figure out methods of working and expectations.  Bro...I am not as smart as ypou and all I want to do is have fun laying down tracks that sound great, the looper is somewhat intuitive to use, and knowing that I do NOT like too many complicated options and like to keep things simple yet have a few cool options, which looper would you recommend to someone who is not as technically motivated to learn every nuance about a device.  My brain does not work like that.  You already know I respect you and trust your judgement so I would listen to your recommendation. If not you, who?   I thought the Ditto seemed the easiest to use from the videos I watched. If I was going to buy the Ditto X4, which delay would you recommend?  Would you use a TC delay to keep things consistent.  And last question, TC Electronics make a delay that has 3 delay channels but no MIDI.  Do you have a specific TC Electronics delay you would be comfortable recommending to people.  Thanks as always for any advice.

Elantric

Actually I'm not completely satisfied with any of them.

If you are interested in spontaneous live performance  - There is vast room for much improvement in these tools for looping / backing track / drum technology. 

read the beat buddy thread for other opinions
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10213.msg73574#msg73574

Neardark72

Bobby, saying that Elantric preferred Britney Spears over Pink and Marion Raven ain't gonna help you buddy. Because I prefer Marion Raven by far and you might prefer Pink over them.
I prefer a woman under 5'4" and my best friend likes 5'8" and up! I don't like blondes and blue eyes.

Try asking witch DAW people prefer over here. Some will say Reason, Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, Magix, Sonar. At the end, you'll end up with 124 votes. Results even with 20 votes for each DAW on that list, plus 4 who voted for Garage Band 😂.

Those loopers are specific and I don't think that they are many people who did intensive hands on with all of them.

Let's say for instance that someone bought the Boss RC300 and loved it, why would he spend so much money on buying the other ones?

If I have the extra money, I'd buy a Talk box, a Space station, the Behringer Time machine, Komplete, a new amp or even a fifth guitar before I buy another looper.

If I have one suggestion before you buy, make a list of four column : the "must have" features you need, preferred features, and features that you don't give a sh** if it's in there, and do not want to have.

Do you need lots of memory storage? A smart synch? MIDI compatibility with your gear? Ease of use? A on/off switch button? (Yeah I just bought a 500$ unit that the off switch is to unplug it and it pisses me off).

The Boomerang seams to have more capability in series mode (verse, chorus, bridge) but is it a plus for you?

Just fill up these column and answers it with the 3 units, you'll find your response easily and faster.

PunkyBoySTG

Hi
I use a Pigtronix with the BeatBuddy
and hell yeah it's perfect !
The sync is awesome and works great

The Pigtronix is very easy to use, just take a look to the manual for the different options
And start playing.

Guaranty hours of fun!!