GT-100 - Question Regarding Amp Switching

Started by glassjawslipknot, February 06, 2016, 08:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassjawslipknot

I apologize if this is a very NOOB like question, but I can't find the answer in the hour I've been looking for it, so I figure I'll post here.

With the GT100, you have 2 virtual amps (or paths)

How on earth do you assign a switch to switch between amp A and amp B when pressed?

I'm looking on how you would do this both in the new Tone Studio application, and or the Floorboard application.

gumtown

Go into the Pedal/Fx function settings for the CTL pedal (or other pedals), and simply chose it to toggle the A/B channel (then save the patch)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

More perspective on GT-100 with tube amps

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/gt100-effects-only-front-of-amp-anyone-try.1390088/page-2

I play in a band where I need to cover anything from The Four Tops, to Miranda Lambert, to AC/DC. I tried the 4-cable method for a while, but it just didn't work for me because I need to jump between too many different tones. I had my amp set with one channel clean and the other with a moderate amount of drive, but I still needed levels of overdrive that were in between those channels, or over the top. I programmed GT overdrives into the patches as needed but I found it to be very difficult to make adjustments to these on the fly since the settings are embedded into the effects edit mode.

I've gone back to 2-cable mode using the GT-100's internal preamps. Rather than plug the GT into the front of the amplifier (which is usually either an Egnator Tweaker 40 or a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini), I run it into into the effects return. By going into the effects return, I'm bypassing the amp's preamp and just using the poweramp stage which keeps the preamp's gain and EQ completely out of the loop. I set the GT's output to Combo Return so that it disables the speaker simulators.

I've spent a lot of time tweaking the GT sim amps and I've managed to program tones that are on par with the amplifier's own preamp. One big advantage is that every patch can have its own dedicated tone and there are never any issues with balancing channel levels. No matter what amp I plug into, all patches are balanced relative to each other. I have easy access to the GT's amp controls on the display so if I find I need to adjust the level or EQ mid-song, I can make a quick level adjustment and double-click save so its there the next time I use that patch.

For rehearsal, I plug into the front of a Fender Pro Junior, and I've found that if I bring the tone control down to about 1 or 2, then the amp doesn't color the tone from the GT and it sounds just fine.

I know a lot of people profess that 4-cable is the way to go. Actually now that I think about it, I was using 5-cables because I also used the GT to switch amp channels. It just didn't work for me because with 4 generic patches and about 20 dedicated patches, I found I was always wrangling around with the levels. Simple works better for me which is why I went back to 2 cables. I get complements on my tone fairly frequently, so I guess I must be doing something right.