Variax 500 Am I missing something?

Started by markus765, January 12, 2016, 05:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markus765

I just got my new-to-me Variax 500, and I'm chasing down a few issues. I'm missing the control cover plate on the back, and it looks like there should be something plugged in at the top of the board, but there is nothing missing in the control cavity. Is there something that's not there that should be? The selector switch works until you turn it past "Special", and then the guitar cuts out & won't make any sound (it used to cut out at "Lester", but I cleaned the contacts on the knob, and it works to one more click now). If I unplug the guitar cable, and turn it back to "Special" or before, & plug it back in, the guitar works fine. I bought a new selector switch, and will have a buddy who's good at soldering swap them for me, and hope that solves that issue.

vtgearhead

That "extra" connector could be for production test.

markus765

Well, I finally had a chance to sit down with this and plug it into an amp for a while. It seems I'm only getting one sound, regardless of where the selector switch is set, and it cuts out after it's turned past "Special". I have a feeling this has a major issue I am not going to be able to figure out on my own. I was really excited to get this, but since it seems that there isn't a repair place anywhere near me, and a scarcity of parts, I think it's going to be relegated to the closet until I find someone who can help fix it, or who will take it off my hands.  :-[

Elantric

Order Spare Variax Parts here from FullCompass

http://www.fullcompass.com/brand/LN6.html?page=8&query=&categoryOrder=Bestselling

But its tough going without a solid background on digital audio troubleshooting

FWIW - the large Earth Ground Lug with Green Wire is not stock - might be shorting out the DSP PC board under the lug

markus765

Quote from: Elantric on January 13, 2016, 12:41:02 PM
Order Spare Variax Parts here from FullCompass

http://www.fullcompass.com/brand/LN6.html?page=8&query=&categoryOrder=Bestselling

But its tough going without a solid background on digital audio troubelshooting

I got a new selector switch from them, and was going to have friend do the soldering (my soldering skills need work, to say the least), but I have a feeling this is way beyond me. I don't have much experience with these kinds of things, so I'm afraid this was a failed experiment on my part.

markus765

I unhooked the "extra" ground wire. No change. <sigh>

markus765

I got the proper VDI Ethercon cable, I got the XT Live, downloaded Monkey & Workbench, went thru the process of refreshing the firmware, & calibrated the Model Select controls. SUCCESS!!!! I'll be spending the rest of the day in my music room, learning how to operate all this stuff. MUCHO thanks for the help!

Elantric

markus765

Thanks for the edit, it clarifies things. There is SO MUCH to learn about this guitar, and the XT Live. I'm thinking I'll have to just plug the Variax into the PA, and mess with it first. Once I figure out what I like there, then mess with the XT Live. Wow, the choices!!

whippinpost91850

Mark, Sounds like you're getting it all together. Paul

markus765

Baby steps, Paul. :) I couldn't have done it without the XT Live. Thanks for the good deal.

markus765

Could someone with a 500 post a pic of how their 5 pole switch is mounted? I think mine is in backwards. At least when I use the switch, and compare it to where the manual says the sounds are supposed to be, they're reversed. Thanks.

markus765

Awesome! Thanks! I'm gonna get this sucker figured out!