Godin XTSA vs LGXT

Started by Carbonius, December 16, 2015, 09:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbonius

Hello there. I read through many threads, but couldn't find one directly comparing these 2 guitars. There are certainly many here that really like their LGXT. It would appear from my research that I can pick up a used LGXT in mint condition for the same price as a new XTSA. I have concerns about warranty related issues with this type of tech. Is that a valid enough concern to sway me??

There are some obvious differences between these 2 guitars;
-Maple body w/flamed top VS. maple centre w/poplar wings
-Duncan VS. Godin pu's
-H/H VS. H/S/H configuration.
-Single coil options in 5-switch VS. split coil w/middle, but no neck or bridge single coil possible without mods

Other than that... they seem identical. Same neck, fretboard & tuners (LGXT has headstock matched to body). I would assume all the same wiring. Same tremolo and RMC piezo.

Of note, I would only consider a post 2012 LGXT as per Elantric's comments elsewhere;
Quote from:  Elantric on March 25, 2015, 07:45:48 AM
...In summer 2011 RMC again updated the Polydrive board further, with more low frequency suppression.
This new version ships with post 2012 era Godin xtSA and LGXT/ LGX-SA guitars...

I can't get my hands on a used LGXT locally, XTSA's are around though. Never-the-less, I can't A/B them. How do you guys compare them, which do you prefer and why if you please??

One more question; do the tremolo springs introduce unwanted sounds that can be heard through the piezo transmission??

Thanks again, learning piles here!!

Elantric

I always felt the LGX was too high $$$  - seldom see them less than $1500

if you review our New Gear area we have threads than mention the periodic Amazon sales for Godin guitars

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4946.0

Here is a round about story - in 2013 i purchased two 2013 Godin xtSA'a for $535 each from Amazon during a sale.

as a long time Gibson player - my technique relies on palm muting at the bridge, and floating tremolos (as found on the xtSA ) don't work well for me. 

I located a Godin Dealer on Ebay selling a "new" Godin LGX-SA for $650, the reason it was so cheap was it had a cracked headstock.

So I swapped necks with one of my xtSA's ( a 10 minute operation) and thats how I got a good LGX-SA  - which I have since added a GFS XTrem II bigsby style tremolo ( I use the stiff spring supplied with the GFS Xtrem)   

I cover this here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6125.msg88733#msg88733

The biggest difference between xtSA and LGX  is the carved maple top on the LGX and Seymour Duncan pickups - the LGX has a bit better sound

The xtSA does include a middle single coil PU, but the LGX has a 5 way PU selector that coil taps in position #2 and #4  - offering a lot of tone possibilities.

And the LGX looks nicer

i prefer my modified LGX-SA with tremolo  - as it feels like a Les Paul and does not suffer a floating tremolo that i find impossible to play in tune with my palm muting style

Carbonius

WOW!! Those are some great prices on XTSA on LGXSA. Is see Musician's Friend and Music123 selling Godin's sometimes with heavy damage right around the nut. Made me wonder how much necks are from Godin. They use the same neck on so many guitars. Some people say their necks are a bit thick, but I'm used to thicker necks.

Very good point about palm muting. I use a lot of palm mute technique, even on acoustic. My hand is regularly resting on the bridge. I could lock the trem on an XTSA, or block the trem like a standard Fender that only lowers pitch. Then you tighten the springs up and it only moves when you want it to.

I could also do some creative things with the 5-way switch. The way the LGXT and LGXSA are set up is just so good. I REALLY like single coil neck tones, but then I want the bride in full humbucker quickly as well. I hate having to hit 2 switches for 1 change. So the LGXT/LGXSA have it right there. I could just wire the XTSA to be just like the LGXT/LGXSA and skip the middle pu. I am sure that they have the exact same 5-way "super" type of switch. That being said, I could possible wire it for whatever I want!

Thanks for your feedback Elantric. I like your LGXSA, one of a kind a bet.

Elantric

I made my xtSA "playable" by adding a SuperVee Maglok

read the xtSA thread  here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3912.0

Carbonius

Just from doing some looking around I can see that the LGX & LGXT used to come with a mahogany body and a maple cap. Switching to Canadian silver leaf maple would certainly drop their costs as I've noticed these guitars haven't changed in MSRP much over the years. I'm guessing the older ones actually sounded better even though the piezo would have been lacking. I've seen several old ones, as in 2005 era for around $500. At that price ordering a new RMC board & piezos might be worth it. Alas, once again none of these are in my local area.

I hadn't realized how difficult it can be to set up a RMC piezo (most Godin) with the gr 55. I like the idea of the gr 55 because there's so much there in a small package. However it seems that the GP 10 is better in some regards but that it lacks a lot of the more synth patches which I was really looking forward to as far as ambient sounds. It would also appear that the gk3 pickup is better for tracking and more importantly, better for tone. So for a guy like me just entering this genre it would seem that the Roland equipped fender is the cheapest way to go. However I've never liked fender necks. It seems silly to order a guitar and then immediately order a Warmoth replacement neck that's wider & with a different radius... I also read somewhere here that the acoustic models in the GP 10 are better than the GR 55. That is very important to me.

So no matter how you look at this, there's compromise in every direction. I'm looking to get my 1st synth access guitar and 1st modeling unit. It still seems that getting a Godin & either a gr 55 or GP 10 is a good start. I'm not afraid to dig into programming and manuals. I spent countless hours completely understanding the POD HD500 and getting it dialed in. However it seems that this is a step in a much more intensive direction.

I'm enjoying the education and the prolific amount of information available on this forum, very valuable! And even though I haven't heard the songs for at least 10 years now, "round and round" and "lay it down" start playing in my head the second I read the word RATT.

Elantric

When starting out - i suggest order either a GR-55 or GP-10 with the included GK-3. its bargain as for the extra $100 you get a Gk-3 pickup and a 13 pin cable ( missing in the regular GR-55, GP-10)

(consider our Group Buy discount
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=175.0

I would use a "stunt guitar" as my 1st 13 pin guitar  -if you prefer Gibsons - get an Epiphone LP on sale $129
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Special-Electric-Guitar-Ebony/dp/B0002CZUUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450314546&sr=8-1&keywords=epiphone+lp

and mount the GK-3 PU

follow the steps here
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/howto_lp.html

There is a lot to learn about setting up a 13 pin guitar
Most helpful info is in the "Top Things to Know areas" or the FAQ" or and Downloads area

Read my Blog for more details ( click link in my signature below)

I'm enjoying the education and the prolific amount of information available on this forum, very valuable! And even though I haven't heard the songs for at least 10 years now, "round and round" and "lay it down" start playing in my head the second I read the word RATT.

I toured with Bobby Blotzer for 3 years when he was my drummer in Rocket 88 - then one day in late 1979 the other ,members of the band decided we needed a more versatile drummer - we drew straws, I lost, so I was the one who had to tell Bobby he was fired. He was shocked and surprised  - but this event led to his new opportunity to contact Don Dokken and Don helped Bobby form RATT and the rest is history. Rocket 88 broke up a few months later, and I landed a job at Valley Arts Guitar. I remember running into Bobby Blotzer around 1984, when he was at his peak - and all he could say is "get the hell out of here and get back out on the road touring with a band where you belong!"      
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

Carbonius

Thanks for all your input. I had thought of trying the GK3 on a more budget guitar, but didn't realize that it was actually reasonable. I have kids that would love to mess around on an electric, should I decide to move on from the initial phase. I can pick up many a decent used guitar here and go from there. Great idea from a man who knows MUCH more than a thing or two about guitars! (I remember VA guitars and the Samick relation. I never knew the back story.)

I will check into some of the group buy options. Being Canadian, our dollar is currently pretty bad compared to yours, only worth 0.72 today. Still, sometimes the deals make it worth while. It's really awesome that this forum has the group buy options!

I was and still am blown away by the video Carlos Eduardo Arellano did with his XTSA a good 7 years ago. It's what caused me to take notice to this whole realm. The tracking is perfect the whole way through. His clean playing is a big part, but still... How come that isn't readily available this many years later? I know it's only 7 years, but tech seems to move at an exponential rate compared to other industries.