RC-300 16 bit audio quality

Started by nervoteso, November 11, 2015, 02:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nervoteso

Hi,
i've boss rc300, it's a great looper, but i'm very disappointed about audio quality of my loops. any suggestions about a looper with better audio quality?
thanks

FreeTime

The RC300 does 44.1khz @ 16 bits, same as a CD, most of the reviews say the sound quality is one of its strong points. Maybe it needs a factory reset or the levels are set incorrectly.

nervoteso

i notice clips sound fake and metallic, but i think it's due to the way of recording loops

chrish

I was curious about why roland chose 16 instead of 24 bits after i learned that the old rc50 used 24 bit resolution. I think however that the rc300 sounds fine. Roland and some other digital gear samples, to my ear, has always had a 'sharpness' in the high end that has to be dealt with with parametric eq. But then again, my ears are sensitive to a samples intermoduation distortion  (if i'm not using the correct terms here, corrections welcome).

shawnb

I think the RC-300 sounds fantastic.   I have both & it's much better than the RC-50 (mainly because the RC-50's 'quantize' logic stretches/shrinks the audio clips).   

I'd look closely at the input signal & recording levels. 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

chrish

Could you discern any difference between the rc 50s 24 bit processing and the rc300's 16 bit processing as far as the recording sound quality is concerned?

shawnb

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

aliensporebomb

I should mention that when I connect the RC-300 to my Mac it essentially sees it as a 24-bit 48 khz audio interface.  I use it as such often but when I'm looping is where it apparently is 16-bit 44.1.  I don't hear a problem really.  Yes, I was concerned about the lack of 24-bit at first as well.

Getting back to your original concern: If you want I can put up an excerpt from a piece in full resolution on my server so you can hear the looped audio quality from the RC if you like:

http://pod.podzone.org/asbextras/Example.wav
(c) 2014 TW Madson all rights reserved etc.

This is raw, off the RC-300 all I did is give you an excerpt - all sounds except drums are my guitar into my VG-99 processor, this piece was recorded live in front of an audience at Art-a-Whirl in Minneapolis back in Spring 2014.  No post processing or sweetening. 

I've been turning my live improvisations into basic tracks for further studio exploration.  It's a wonderful capability.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.