Foot pedalboard for logic pro

Started by nervoteso, October 11, 2015, 06:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nervoteso

I need a midi controller pedalboard for logic pro i need it to rec and stop recording by foot. Is it possible to use irig blueboard in logic? Or an other? How to set up it?
Thanks

scratch17

Just saw this post. Sorry for delay of the reply.

Logic has a lot of MIDI control available. I originally posted this in the UA Forum.

Control Logic Pro with Your Feet

sjgam had asked me in another thread (Nektar Pacer) about controlling Logic with his MIDI foot controller (an RJM PBC). This discussion is so off topic to the Pacer thread, I started this one. Note that these techniques will likely work exactly the same with the Pacer or any MIDI controller that Logic can see. The functions are built into Logic Pro X. As you will see, they are really easy to set up.

While I am describing some specific features from Logic Pro X to implement this, I am certain that most other DAWs can take advantage of these techniques.

I have researched how Logic can be controlled by MIDI hardware controllers. I want to make it clear that I am no expert. So there may be incorrect info here. That said, I have found some pretty interesting info.

I and sjgam both own MIDI foot controllers from RJM. We both would like to be able to use our foot controllers during tracking for hands free control of Logic. My MMGT can connect to 4 expression pedals and two external switches. sjgam's RJM PBC can accept 2 expression pedals and 2 switches. The Nektar Pacer has 2 and 2 like the PBC. You get the idea.

I also want to use my MMGT 10 to control Logic with my feet during mixdown. I plan to create a template that will let me set up and work a session with my feet. That will free my hands to work with a Faderport 8 which I hope to get soon.

These techniques should work with just about any hardware that can send MIDI to Logic. For example, I also own an NI Komplete Kontrol S49 (Mk 1). In effect, I can use Logic and the Kontrol S49 to implement more control over Logic than the NI Komplete Kontrol software affords.

The first question I asked myself was, what would I like to be able to control during tracking? Here are a few of those items.

1. transport controls
    2. record arming of tracks
    3. pan, mute, solo
    4. pre or post fade listen
    5. track fader position
    6. aux wet / dry mix
    7. macros
    8. show / hide the plugin interface

I also want to be able to control plugin parameters with my feet during tracking.

Many of these items can be set up in the Easy View of the Controller Assignments window in Logic. Much, much more granular control is available in the Experts View.

The one thing that really motivated me to post this came from a Logic Pro Experts post from Eli Krantzberg (who does Groove 3 tutorials on Logic Pro).

Learn Controller Assignment

Okay, I'll admit it.

I've always been somewhat intimidated by Logic Pro's controller assignments window.

It's full of cryptic sysex code and arcane "zone" and "mode" settings. I use the Learn mode occasionally but have never properly taken a deep dive into the expert view.

I have recently been enlightened to a way of tapping into some of its power, suitable for the 99% of us who won't go near Expert View.

There is a Learn New Assignment button in the Key Commands window that works just like learning a key command.

In Logic Pro X, making a new Controller Assignment is a simple three step process:

Select the desired key command
    Click the "Learn New Assignment" button
    Press the button on your MIDI controller

This is an elegant and simple way to globally assign, for example, buttons on your keyboard controller to various key command functions. It's very useful for anything from transport functions, to editing commands. Plus, the fact that the assignments are global means you only need to make them once. They will then be available for all projects.
The point is that the control assign process will be the same as Eli describes above for a foot controller button or a button on a MIDI keyboard. Just create a custom key command (easy to do in Logic Pro) and follow the three steps above to assign it to a button on your MIDI (foot) controller.

You can use the Controller Assignments Easy View to assign a continuously variable parameter (such as fader position, pan, wet / dry percentage, etc.) to an expression pedal.

Note that I have included macros in the items I list above. They can be assigned a key command, and then using the Learn Controller Assignment feature, you could turn them on or off via a button. In a sense macros could be thought of as mini presets assigned to different buttons on your controller.

You can see where this is going. Given some time and a little imagination, you could fully control a tracking session by yourself while your hands are free to play your instrument.

I also want to point out that setting up your foot controller to control Logic during setup, tracking, or mixing is a lot like setting up a live show with Mainstage. In fact, here are two videos I think will give you some ideas as to what you might want to do.

Speaking of mixdown, as I said above, I'd like to use my MMGT as a supplement to a Faderport 8. I'd like to point out a few items relative to the potential synergy of this hardware duo.

First of all, the Faderport series has less deep integration with Logic than with Studio One 3. So when you use Logic, why not create control assignments for functions that are not implemented by Faderport with Logic. As you can see above, the process of assigning control to foot controller buttons, switches and pedals is easy.

You don't have to mess with the Logic Control template that Faderport comes with (probably a PITA to program and maybe even destructive). Start with that and then add more control with your foot controller.

And don't forget that you have two feet and probably can assign two expression pedals to variable parameters. How about doing cross fades? Or morphing from one effect to another? Even automation could be written with your feet while you use your hands to mix.

And why not create control that mimics Studio One 3's control with Faderport. The Faderport's deep integration with Studio One 3 should certainly give you some ideas.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio