VG99 Ignored by Roland ?

Started by 2pods, April 02, 2009, 08:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatormike

Germanicus and Sustainiac:

Yes, thank you both.  This is truly mind-blowing.  Can I suggest you guys start a new topic on this last piece of the thread?  Also, can either of you comment on whether Germanicus' approach (using the VG-99 as the audio interface to "expand" the VG-99 with the other softsynths and modeling capabilities) will work well with the latest MacBook Pros?  I'd like to do some added processing with some of Logic Pros channel strips for example and this seems like the cleanest approach (gear-wise; no resorting to another interface).  Again, thank you both for discussing these potentialities as, no, I had not known of the capability previously.  Take care for now and have a great weekend.  Mike

Elantric

I use a Macbook Pro 2.2GHz, Core 2 duo, 4   gb RA M, upgraded to 500GB internal SATA drive. Still Learning LOGIC/

Its the perfect rig for all we have talked about in this thread.

FWIW - good tutorials for Logic are on sale this weekend
here:

-----

Hey there, it's Martin writing ...
Today is April 22nd - Earth Day! At macProVideo.com we are extremely concerned with the environment, and we do everything we can to minimize our footprint on it. In fact, our environmental focus is a part of our mission statement! It's also one of the reasons we pioneered downloadable tutorial-videos on the web. If you haven't heard already, then I've got an amazing Earth Day announcement to tell you about below.
But first, I'd like to let you know that we are extending our amazing special to highlight our low carbon footprint downloadable tutorials at macProVideo.com. Until April 30th, 2009, save an amazing 50% on all macProVideo.com tutorials using the following coupon code:
Coupon Code: 09MPVEarthDayExt50
Note: Click the code above to automatically apply it to your cart
Valid for downloadable and DVD tutorials

s0c9

Dang !!  I started a quick re-read of this thread.. since it's been a while since I read the first page of post.... and realized...

I'm going to have to start from the top again.. as this thread is so incredibly interesting and OVER MY HEAD !!
We need a separate section on this stuff methinks !

2pods

Quote from: s0c9 on April 25, 2009, 09:06:53 AM
Dang !!  I started a quick re-read of this thread.. since it's been a while since I read the first page of post.... and realized...

I'm going to have to start from the top again.. as this thread is so incredibly interesting and OVER MY HEAD !!
We need a separate section on this stuff methinks !

yeah, how do you think I can accuse Roland of ignoring us if you lot keep going on about how good it is ?
Get yer own thread  ;D ;D
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

Elantric

I guess we are pointing out the need for someone new to the forum to re read old posts  regardless of topic title!

One day  -0 I'll cut & paste the whole forum into a Word doc and then organize into a VG-99 Workbook.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/board,16.0.html

germanicus

Gatormike I can write up further items on this, but I have no mac experience, so cant help with the macbook. My systems are all PC based. If folks are interested in pursuing this I can over how my setup is tweaked. Maybe a video demonstration would be possible in the future if I can get my vid cam working.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Elantric

germanicus -

Lets collaborate on a detailed guide on these advanced topics

i can cover both WinXP and Mac platforms

germanicus

Sounds good Im game. Ill start drawing up something for vista.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

2pods

If it's a book, I'll have one !

jvguitar

Quote from: A to the T on April 24, 2009, 05:42:07 AM
Hey sustainiac thanks for the help but I can assure you that without ASIO4ALL encapsulating my realtek audio drivers built into the laptop its otherwise useless.  I keep them wrapped even when playing mp3s through winamp.  :D   I have been using my VG-99 as an ASIO sound device for recording into Sonar and Sound Forge since day one.  I just never thought it could be integrated into my live rig whereby I'm able to route the audio out the direct outs while simultaneously playing guitar through it too.  Can't wait to try this. 

As a side note, I use a program called Forte Ensemble Live Performance Workstation by Brainspawn to queue all my synths and set lists.  Its awesome. Much better than loading up a crashable vsti host like sonar or cubase.  Changing patches on the VG-99 is supposed to send the song/patch change in the setlist but I have yet to configure it. Still doing it manually.  Anyway, heres a screenshot

I've been running Forte and a few VSTis on my Lenovo notebook along with the 99 in a live setting for a few months. I didn't need ASIO4ALL with Vista. At home, I'm using it with Cubase SX3 under Win XP. I'm no expert, and could'nt explore the whole thing yet but I'm a happy camper so far. I'm glad others are jumping into the same wagon.

jv

A2theT

Quote from: germanicus on April 25, 2009, 12:29:38 AM

Heres a question, how many vg99 users out there even know you can do this stuff with it?

You're probably right but I do it all the time with Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and my Line6 Gearbox Plugin.

The best part is this:  I Record all the guitars through VG-99 with no distortions or amps, just the VG guitars, then I loop my guitar riff in Sonar and change patches till I hear a great sound.  Its pretty cool, especially so in Gearbox because I have all the models with my PODX3Live.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

A2theT

Quote from: jvguitar on April 25, 2009, 03:54:02 PM
I've been running Forte and a few VSTis on my Lenovo notebook along with the 99 in a live setting for a few months. I didn't need ASIO4ALL with Vista.
jv

So whats the soundcard in the Lenova?  Does it have its own ASIO driver or are you just using WDM?  I can assure you that I've tried numerous laptops embedded audio and they all end up choking on the Oberhemi OP-X VSTi
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

jvguitar

Quote from: A to the T on April 25, 2009, 05:38:30 PM
So whats the soundcard in the Lenova?  Does it have its own ASIO driver or are you just using WDM?  I can assure you that I've tried numerous laptops embedded audio and they all end up choking on the Oberhemi OP-X VSTi

Let me clarify my previous post. I use Forte 2 Performance on a Lenovo R61 (3GB RAM - Centrino Duo) running Windows Vista Business when playing live. I don't use the Lenovo built in card at all. I use the VG-99 as soundcard via USB with the Roland ASIO drivers, no MIDI cables. I've created and used (Forte) scenes with 2 instances of  Atmosphere, FM7, B4, and  even VST FXs without a hiccup.

At home, I also use the 99 as soundcard on a Dual Core PC running Windows XP. My sequencer is Cubase SX 3. I've installed my previous soundcard on the system, a good old Yamaha DSP Factory. I'm able to switch between soundcards on the fly using Cubase's control panel.

I'm sort of new to this stuff so I will probably post more findings in the near future as I play with it. I want to say thanks to the admins and users who helped me a lot with their posts.

JV

A2theT

Ok no problem, I just assumed when you said you didn't need ASIO4All that you were implying that you were using the embedded soundcard as that would be the only reason for ASIO4ALL.  So are you able to use the FC-300 to change guitar patches on the VG as well as scenes in Forte?  I just find it all so much fun but cumbersome. Especially when playing live it can get clumsy.  I was going to do a SNL style skit where this band is on stage trying toplay and they all have laptops and the keyboard players laptop is blue screening and needs reboot and then the guitar players laptop gets like an msn pop-up and the sound comes through the PA, the drummers sound patch gets changed to some crazy conga setup with whistles and maracas etc etc.  Tons of shenanigans.  Just think it would be hilarious.  Maybe it would make a good MAC vs. PC commercial....?
HEAVY on the METAL

jvguitar

Quote from: A to the T on April 26, 2009, 04:27:13 PM
So are you able to use the FC-300 to change guitar patches on the VG as well as scenes in Forte?  I just find it all so much fun but cumbersome. Especially when playing live it can get clumsy. 

My approach is to use the FC-300 to change patches only on the 99. This gives me more flexibility. I can use different guitar patches without affecting Forte scenes. I did program control button 2 on the 99 to send MIDI CC# 3 (you can use any available CC) as a tap tempo thing so Forte's tempo can get in sync with the 99 on the fly. It works pretty well.

JV

dramelot

Went to the Dallas guitar show. Stopped by the Roland/Boss stand and chatted for a bit. Don't expect any firmware updates for 9 months to a year. And from what they said dont expect much. 
Sigh............

www.duaneramelot.com

Elantric

With this economy - at this time I doubt ANY new VG-99 firmware will EVER arrive.

Maybe we will get Windows 7 32 bit Drivers.

Instead they will give us the $500 Boss "Pocket VG"  - which will be a 13 pin to USB box.

I do not expect Line 6 to release any new Variax models anytime soon either.

Damn  - maybe we will just have to actually spend our time composing music instead of focusing on bitching about missing VG-99 features.

Kevin M

Quote from: sustainiac on April 28, 2009, 12:26:17 PM

Damn  - maybe we will just have to actually spend our time composing music instead of focusing on bitching about missing VG-99 features.

What a novel idea!  :-)

2pods

I don't really want that much, just midi on/off per patch.

And it's not only Roland thats affected by the the downturn, I can't afford an FC-300  :'(

dramelot

LOL yes I agree.
Its not like this thing cant do much...it can!
Love those eureka moments when they happen.

www.duaneramelot.com

acousticglue

Don't kow if same thing you were talking about but I find that if in 'guitar to midi' I can't change patches on VG99 at same time. I have to exit that mode then re-enter mode.

porieux

Quote from: A to the T on April 05, 2009, 01:45:50 PM
The librarian is definitely something to be ashamed of but the Editor rocks in my mind!
I own digitech and line6 gear and the vg-99 editor is WAYYYYYYY better.

What improvements would you like to see?  The one thing I would like to see is all the modules tiled/stitched together so you can see them all at once.    I just wish it had a dozen more models in each department. I'd like to see a few more amps (Laney,Carvin,5150,Mesas) and some classic pedals like the ADA Flanger.  As far as stringed instruments go, how about a contrabass?  It would be cool if they could model some pickups like PAF Pro, Pearly Gates, etc...

Yeah they really need to fix the Librarian, it's really bad and as far as I know they have never updated it...?

hippietim

Quote from: A to the T on April 06, 2009, 10:19:13 AM
What is your opinion on the AXEFX?  Is it really worth the money considering what you can buy feature-wise for less?
If I was a millionaire it would be a no brainer.  I'd buy everything as collecting MFX processors would be lots of fun.
In my mind if I had to only own one unit it would probably be the VG-99.

First, I'll address the price point - you actually can't buy a device that I am aware of that compares to the Axe-FX feature-wise for less.  You may find a device that has all the features you desire for less but not all the features it has.

It'd be hard to list all the features but here are some highlights:

• Pitch effects - Harmonizer (diatonic/fixed/custom scales), whammy, detune, crystals, etc. plus traditional multi-fx - delay, chorus, reverb, etc. on par with an Eventide Eclipse ($2000) or a TC G-Force ($1500)
  • Multi-band compressor - this is much more useful than you can imagine - ultra high-end MBCs run many thousands of dollars, to be honest I'm not sure how the Axe-FX compares to them but it's pretty damn good
  • Killer amp modeling that exceeds the GT-Pro ($700) or POD X3 ($500-700 depending on which configuration you pick) - includes tons of stomp boxes, wahs, etc.
  • Fully adjustable quad-chorus that takes you into Tri-chorus territory ($2000 and up used)
  • Unbelievably flexible effects routing and mixing - you have a huge matrix and you can route and mix things however you want - there is no other processor I've used that comes close at all - it's even much more flexible than dedicated hardware solutions like the Sound Sculpture ($1000-2000 depending on which model you go with)
  • The ability to download custom cabinent impulses - there are literally thousands available for download or you can create your own from your favorite speaker cabinet - there are software plugins that have this feature but no other outboard devices that I'm aware of
  • Interesting effects that a lot of boxes are missing like a 40-tap "mega" delay, vocoder, formant filter, ring modulator, crossover, mixer, resonator, feedback send/return, etc.
  • Absolutely killer controller/modifier support: two LFOs, two ADSRs, evelope, pitch, programmable sequencer, and of course external controllers. 
    • Oh, and you get to have two of almost everything everything and four of some things per patch

That's just some of the features.  There are many things you simply can't do with any other unit that I am aware of.  For example, most parameters on the Axe-FX can be controlled in real-time using controllers.  You can do very useful things like have a phase shifter mix be controlled by the envelope controller so you get more/less phaser depending on your playing dynamics.  Or as you player higher notes you can have the pitch controller add more gain on your overdrive as well as increase the delay mix.

If you strip it down to basics in the signal flow - just an amp and a cab - you can get truly remarkable tones.  Unfortunately the VG-99 can't touch it.  It sounds so much better.  If you run direct and compare them then the real weakness of the VG comes out - the piss-poor cabinet simulations.

My VG-99 is just an alt-guitar source for my Axe-Fx now.  And I still get to keep two separate signal chains (that are actually more flexible).

aliensporebomb

How much is the Axe-FX retailing for these days anyway? 

I see the ads and they're full page glossy which means "this isn't cheap at all". 

Can the Axe-FX do what I want?  I want to have the low E and A be basses and the D, G, B and E to be
multi-processed guitars.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

hippietim

Quote from: aliensporebomb on May 06, 2009, 12:37:33 PM
How much is the Axe-FX retailing for these days anyway? 

I see the ads and they're full page glossy which means "this isn't cheap at all". 

Can the Axe-FX do what I want?  I want to have the low E and A be basses and the D, G, B and E to be
multi-processed guitars.

Axe-FX pricing is on their web site http://fractalaudio.com

The Axe-FX doesn't take a 13-pin input so it can't split strings.