RC-300- Tempo sync confusion!?

Started by Kaicasswell, August 22, 2015, 03:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaicasswell

Hi im new here and love the forum and advice. Maybe someone can help me with this issue:
Im trying to record a songs chorus on track 1 before playing live. Then live i will loop the verse on track 2 and sing along, then when its time for the chorus i will change to track 1 and play along to that, afterwards switch back to track 2 to continue verses - sound simple right?!
Now when i do the pre-recording of the chorus part, the tempo automatically changes each time to an incorrect one. the song is at 104bpm, but after the chorus is recorded its jumped to 151bpm. Im guessing this is something to do with tempo sync and tap tempo in rythym and meassures calculations the rc300 does - can anyone help me thanks.

shawnb

Experiment with different tempo sync & loop sync options. 

Counterintuitive, but I think you want tempo sync off here.    That's the option that tries to putz with your recording settings to match what it thinks you were trying to do...    Problematic when you don't want it to putz...

It often helps to specify track lengths in advance.    It also often helps to play & listen to the rhythm, so you KNOW it's doing what you want it to do.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Kaicasswell

ok thanks for quick reply much appreciated - i will try those suggestions. Its an amazing bit of kit and reading on here it seems like ive only just scratched the surface of what is possible
cheers
Kai

Threeleggedyoyo

shawnb is right, but here is an even more fundamental issue:

Turn the drum machine on. Turn the volume all the way down. That alone should fix your problem.

If the drum machine is off, the RC-300 tries to guess your tempo based on the length of your loop. This is very helpful if you don't want to tap tempo and don't know what your tempo is going to be. However it's really annoying if you know your tempo, want it to be quantized to that, and don't want the drum machine on (this is me 99% of the time).

So yeah... drum machine on, but with the volume down should get you the behavior you want.

If I remember right off the top of my head, Tempo Sync has more to do with whether the loops will insist on being the same tempo. That factors in with quantization as well and is worth messing with, but I don't think it's what's causing your problem with your original loop at all. Start with the drum machine and go from there.