Electro-Harmonix KEY9

Started by Rhcole, August 20, 2015, 03:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jassy

Quote from: Now_And_Then on October 03, 2015, 02:37:36 AM
Latency in all-analog devices is rarely a problem.

Its an "all-analog" device? I believed that these pedals are based on DSP and programming.

Now_And_Then

Quote from: jassy on October 04, 2015, 07:57:51 AM
Its an "all-analog" device? I believed that these pedals are based on DSP and programming.

You know, maybe you're right. I've always thought of EHX as making analog devices only. I'm going to go over to their site and see if the product page says anything specific about it. Or Bill Ruppert could say something; I'd think that he would know.

Well, the product page doesn't say a word about it. I would expect that some of the control mechanisms are digital - or else preset-saving wouldn't be there - but I don't really know if the sound altering sections are digital or analog. 

It's an interesting question.

Bill Ruppert

Hi Now and Then!
I sure do know as I am on the design team for the Key9, B9 and C9.
Its DSP based.
Many of the EHX pedals are digital.
Pitch shifing which we do so well can really only be done in the digital domain.
Same goes for our loopers, digital delays, reverbs and vocoding.
That said we have MANY pedals that are in the analog domain.
Our analog Memory Man delay is world famous.

Bill

Quote from: Now_And_Then on October 04, 2015, 01:43:24 PM

You know, maybe you're right. I've always thought of EHX as making analog devices only. I'm going to go over to their site and see if the product page says anything specific about it. Or Bill Ruppert could say something; I'd think that he would know.

Well, the product page doesn't say a word about it. I would expect that some of the control mechanisms are digital - or else preset-saving wouldn't be there - but I don't really know if the sound altering sections are digital or analog. 

It's an interesting question.

CodeSmart

Hi Bill,
Do you know what technique used to get the wonderful print on your pedals.
Is a special printer used, or is it several screen print layers, or something else?
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on October 04, 2015, 05:18:39 PM
I sure do know as I am on the design team for the Key9, B9 and C9. Its DSP based. Many of the EHX pedals are digital

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm actually a little bit disappointed to find that out. I always thought of "Electro-Harmonix" as being analog-only kit made by people with esoteric skills and arcane knowledge known only to themselves, but now I guess I will have to think of "Electro-Digital-Harmonix".

What next? Are you gonna tell me there ain't no Sanity Claus?

:) 

I have a Big Muff Triangle that I got in 1972, and a Screaming Bird of similar vintage, and I've looked inside them (required when changing batteries) and in them were a bunch of electrical components wired, if I correctly recall, point-to-point - and for some reason, whenever I think of EHX stuff, that picture comes to mind.(On the other hand, I've never looked inside my Super Ego, Super Pulsar, or 8 Step Program because... because if it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. (Although I always get irritated with myself when I need to be corrected for matter which I should have been able to figure out for myself...)

mbenigni

Quote from: Now_And_Then on October 05, 2015, 04:32:06 AMDon't take this the wrong way but I'm actually a little bit disappointed to find that out. I always thought of "Electro-Harmonix" as being analog-only kit made by people with esoteric skills and arcane knowledge known only to themselves, but now I guess I will have to think of "Electro-Digital-Harmonix".

There is also digital kit made by people with esoteric skills and arcane knowledge known only to themselves.  If it sounds good it is good, no matter whether it's analog or digital.  And there are certain things that - in practical terms - can only be accomplished in the digital domain.

The distinction worth making is that these pedals are not converting audio to MIDI in order to trigger samples.  That's where really significant latency and glitching have "traditionally" been problematic.

CodeSmart

Quote from: mbenigni on October 05, 2015, 08:18:37 AM
If it sounds good it is good, no matter whether it's analog or digital.

+1
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Now_And_Then

Quote from: mbenigni on October 05, 2015, 08:18:37 AMIf it sounds good it is good, no matter whether it's analog or digital.
I neither said nor implied otherwise.

mbenigni

Quote from: Now_And_Then on October 06, 2015, 02:55:41 AMI neither said nor implied otherwise.

OK - sorry if I misunderstood, but that's what I took away from this:

QuoteI sure do know as I am on the design team for the Key9, B9 and C9. Its DSP based. Many of the EHX pedals are digital

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm actually a little bit disappointed to find that out.