Sontenuto CC#66 vs Sustain CC#64 in Mainstage 3

Started by guitarnstuff, July 06, 2015, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarnstuff

Help! I am trying to get cc#66 or any screen mapping to sontenuto to work in Mainstage 3 for the vintage organ. I want to be about to sustain the notes that I am playing at the moment of depressing the pedal without additional notes sounding so that I can solo over. My controller (Roland/Boss GP10) doesn't appear to be able to send #66 so it is sending #64. The regular sustain method works (notes sustain plus new notes sustain). I thought I could remap sustain to sontenuto or modify it with the MIDI plugin provided but when I do that I get no sustain or sontenuto. What am I doing wrong?

Elantric

guitarnstuff

I used midi monitor to confirm that I was seeing cc64 from the GP10 and it was. So I tried Midi Pipe. Got a nasty Trojan virus call Inkeeper in the process. Feel like a fool and might be one. #unsafe internet.   Used Adware Medic and think I am cleared up.

After using MIDIPIPE my GP10 input is no longer recognized on my computer ... so no MIDI is getting from GP10 to program. No port even. I tried to uninstall the GP10 driver and midi pipe and then reinstall GP10 driver with no luck. I think the GP10 input got hackjacked and I don't know how to correct it.

Ideas anyone?

guitarnstuff

I just got my MIDI port back... not sure what I did to lose it and not sure what I did to get it back. Unlucky and lucky all in one night.

guitarnstuff

In Mainstage when I apply the "Modifier" midi plugin to change 64 to 66, the "sustain all notes being played" stops working but the "sustain only notes played when the pedal is pushed" does not start working. I am wondering this is a Mainstage 3 issue?

Elantric

QuoteI am wondering this is a Mainstage 3 issue?

Reference reading

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3170391?start=0

QuoteIt's absolutely dependent on the synth. Your synth has to have the ability to be able to hold a single note. Conventionally, CC64 is interpreted as meaning "ignore that I just released a key" and so you get whatever behavior you would get if you just were holding the key down indefinitely....for example a piano note would die away slowly, and an organ note would stay on forever.

I suspect that the feature you want is sostenuto which is associated with CC 66 (I think) but the synth still has to support it.

guitarnstuff

I have been assuming that the vintage organ in Mainstage 3 has ability to respond to CC#66 but I may be wrong? I'll have to figure out how to contact Apple to find out the specs on it.