GR-55- Ty Tabor tone anyone?

Started by pirate, March 30, 2015, 08:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pirate

I'm surprised to not find that anyone has attempted a Ty Tabor tone. I was going back and listening to some old music and forgot how much I loved his sound. I'm still brand new to the GR-55 so don't yet feel qualified to give it a worthy attempt. Are there any experienced GR-55 users that love the old Ty Tabor/King's X stuff?

Elantric

pirate

I found that patch originally and actually sounds pretty good. Are you saying I can use the VG-99 patches?!  :o

Elantric

I found that patch originally and actually sounds pretty good. Are you saying I can use the VG-99 patches?!  :o

No

use patch cloning procedure to create a GR-55 version
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4087.0

pirate

Interesting!  Definitely going to give this a try. Thanks a bunch for the link! 

aliensporebomb

The Ty VG-99 patch is pretty darned close.  Part of it is playing technique too.  I just posted an update to the thread on the 99 patch where I discuss my experience playing a real Fender Elite Strat.  That was interesting.  They didn't have an L5 but I did get to spent about 15 minutes with the guitar and shared my observations.  I think its very possible to get in the neighborhood with modeling. 

My understanding is Ty had a heck of a time getting that Elite Strat/L5 setup to be consistent in live situations.  That'w where the modeled patch gets you some predicatable consistency in obtaining that sound.

And yes, it's Fun as heck to play "It's Love" or "Dogman" with that patch.  Just way too much fun.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

pirate

Thanks for the reply aliensbomb. I really commend you on the job you did. I've listened to that soundcloud clip a few times in trying to create my own tone. I'm terrible at the cloning stuff right now... gave that a whirl for a good hour before giving up. :) I need to be a bit more skilled at matching settings. I'm having better luck starting from scratch but still not dialed in to what you have.

Very interesting to hear the bit about Ty finding difficulty with the consistency. You're right though... modeling could take care of that problem!

Kevin M

You'll face at least one challenge in cloning the patch from VG-99 to GR-55: the VG version uses dual signal paths for amp and guitar model, each panned opposite of the other for stereo width - the 55 only has a single cosm path. Since the patch also uses alternate turnings you won't be able to use your mag pickups in the 55 patch to compensate. My advice is to try using a delay to try and achieve the width.   Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pirate

Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate any tips. I was noticing that very problem when trying to clone! 

Every time I think I'm close, I wake up the next day and start playing and I'm like.. "nah.. that's just nowhere near yet."  Ha. You really appreciate this tone the more you work to try and emulate it. I've been able to come pretty satisfactorily close on most other rock bands in one evening but there's just something about this one that makes it quite difficult and unique. I also checked out Ty's youtube vids to see how he was doing it and it was quite a story!  Lots of faulty equipment that came together in one glorious union. :)