IBANEZ RG1520GK

Started by Canis Testicastor, December 20, 2008, 03:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canis Testicastor

Anybody, got one, how does this comapre against a Godin Freeway SA

LeeMorant

I have both, different animals really.  Godin can do some sweet stuff (lovey sounding mags) and is built to a higher finish but for ease of playing and that low low action has to be the 1520 for me.

clearlight

I have a 1520.
I love it. The prestige neck is super comfortable, low action and nearly buzz free.

I wish it wasn't discontinued.
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-

A2theT

ya, i wana buy one but i guess i'll have to resort to a new prestige with the GK-kit.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

rsheldon

I have a great GK1520.  Set up in SF by Gary Brawer.  Exceptional guitar and awesome GK integrated floyd style trem.  Unbelievable tuning stability. 
Gear: VG-99/FC300, GR20, Ibanez 1520GK, Fernandez with GK3 (other various electrics and acoustics), Mesa Triaxis, 20/20 with Marshall 412 1960B (split stereo), TC Gsystem, Boss DS1, Morley Vai (vol and Wah pedals)

clearlight

Anyone know of a good alternative to this guitar?
I like the look feel and the 24 frets.
I just got a rg320 and will be outfitting it with a gk soon but its not the same.......

There seems to be 1 1520 for sale online but its a bit pricey at 1400.
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7

clearlight

I JUST ordered ne supposedly in MINT condition with Case and all shipped from Hawaii to CT  for 1050.....

I its mint i think its a good deal.

Also saw one from premiere guitars fr 2000 if anyones interested.

My Music
My Band Website
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7

A2theT

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

big_jan

Finally i got hold of the last known piece of this wonderful Ibanez 1520GK in Singapore. Just managed reading the manual and tomorrow is stringing time! I have to learn how to re-string this baby. I did hook it up to the VG and it has the cleanest tone and match I have ever heard. I have Godins and Gk2's and Gk3's but this baby has that nice controllable action and reception. Makes me inspired again!

This piece was hanging on a wall for 6 years. Initial price was 2675 Sing Dollars. They gave it at half the price today. Comes with a nice molded Ibanez case. I was afraid it had defects but boy oh boy this baby is for real. Its that Prestige neck and jumbo frets.

Perhaps any kind members on the forum would give me some advice on it. I am not sure on how to restring it, youtube is a gem to find and I am going to learn to set it up so I am confident when I bring it out for gigs. Man! the VG is wonderful again!  I am a happy man ;)   I am not sure yet how to control the VG volume from it, guess its re-learning time.

Thanks in advance for tips!

LeeMorant

mines worked great for ages no boomines or problems, stringing one is a laugh but you'll get the hang of it :)

aliensporebomb

Quote from: big_jan on October 28, 2010, 07:08:53 AM
Finally i got hold of the last known piece of this wonderful Ibanez 1520GK in Singapore. Just managed reading the manual and tomorrow is stringing time! I have to learn how to re-string this baby. I did hook it up to the VG and it has the cleanest tone and match I have ever heard. I have Godins and Gk2's and Gk3's but this baby has that nice controllable action and reception. Makes me inspired again!

This piece was hanging on a wall for 6 years. Initial price was 2675 Sing Dollars. They gave it at half the price today. Comes with a nice molded Ibanez case. I was afraid it had defects but boy oh boy this baby is for real. Its that Prestige neck and jumbo frets.

Perhaps any kind members on the forum would give me some advice on it. I am not sure on how to restring it, youtube is a gem to find and I am going to learn to set it up so I am confident when I bring it out for gigs. Man! the VG is wonderful again!  I am a happy man ;)   I am not sure yet how to control the VG volume from it, guess its re-learning time.

Thanks in advance for tips!

If I'm not mistaken it's got a Floyd Rose style tremelo but if it's an edge trem or a lo-pro edge you might want to seek out advice on jemsite.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

clearlight

It sets up like a standard floyd rose. I have two of these and they set up great and work really well.
I have both of mine blocked so they are more like a hard tail bridge. Makes restringing easier.

As far as stringing , just make sure the string passes the saddle dead center or you could have volume/triggering issues.

Good luck.

My Music
My Band Website
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7

big_jan

Thank you for your kind advise. I shall delve into it now ;) wish me all the luck. I am quite adventurous. I shall scream in pain if I messed it up!
But I really appreciate the info. I went to the jemsite, signed up and did some reading. I also got nice info from this guy (http://www.youtube.com/user/FruduaTv#p/a/u/0/RQQT9-Y0R9A)  who does an amazing job in keeping
guitars in tune including the floyd equipped guitars. Cheers!

sixeight

I like that viddeo on tuning a Floyd Rose guitar. Had a friend over one day with a Floyd Rose bridge and it took me half an hour. This is a lot easier.

I have a Charvel guitar with Floyd Rose bridge. But it locked the bridge one way, because I hardly ever use it for pulling up.

LeeMorant

if anyone with electicificationary knowledge could look inside one of these babies, I'd be interested to know why these 1520gk dont have the subsonic noise problem.  I can't see much difference between them and graphtech system.

big_jan

Yes, I was trying to test it out and wonder why it didn't have that noise when triggering esp gr300 sounds. It is dead silent.
I now wished they didn't stop production. It is a great and versatile guitar. The normal pickups are nice too. They record well with
the VS20 or when using it with the GR55 as audio card.

Anyone who has this guitar with electronics skills can verify the make of this bridge?

Elantric

Its a modified Ibanez LoPro bridge with L.R. Baggs saddles interfaced to a modified Roland Internal GK-2A board, which provides some lo-frequency attenuation.

Wiring diagram is here:

LeeMorant

I can confirm (on the vg99 at least) that mine has zero artifacts, even on the gr300 patch.  I wish they would reissue this guitar. My graphtech doesn't come close even with the filter installed, i'm guessing the acoustiphonic is what does that.  anyway and electronics dude who made my inline filter gave me some tips for making this guitar last, cos believe me I looked for spares and there are none.  evaporate some wd40 in a pot and keep a tiny bead on each piezo where the string rests and at the nut.  mine have worn and have burrs from the grooves that snap strings very quickly (saying that it took years for them to develop)

clearlight

I'll say it again. I love that guitar. I use the two I have for shows and studio recording only. I use 320s with the GK for. Practice and playin around......
Thabks for the tip for the saddles....I'll have to start doing that ;)
My Music
My Band Website
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7

big_jan

Thanks for the tip. I'm in love with this guitar! With the GR55, I was able to play piano sounds with confidence for the first time last Sunday. No one missed the pianist ;) It was really silent and in the environment where I played, it had to be silent. Ssssssh baby Jesus listening to people's prayers.  Then when it came for waking people up, the symphonic rock patch was just uplifting! Amen ;)

cynegetic

Have any of you been able to recreate the tone of the stock pickups with the vary guitar?

I like the sound of them and I haven't been able to do so for alt tunings. The vary just doesn't seem to have all the highs and lows to match.

Also, what do you like for gk settings? I flip between the L and G with a little bump in the highs and low s.

HANSEL612

Hi All,  I am a newbie here and just joined the forum 2-3 days back. Pardon me if I am raising an unrelated question. I do own a Ibanez RG 1520G with an inbuilt Midi Pick Up. I was told it is equipped with Double Edge Pro's piezo's for creating the MIDI output. What would be the GK setting I should use? I have googled enough and did not find a clear cut answer. Additionally, the DIS settings I am not sure what to use as I can not see the senser-string gap. If the answers were already on this forum, then apologies. Please feel free to redirect me.

regards,
HP.

Elantric

Its a Piezo Hex PU guitar - therefore the "GK Distance" setting has no meaning after you set the GK TYPE to PIEZO

Its best to try the GR-55 Piezo Settings that sound best to you - but I would start here
follow Jim Williams Piezo Setup.

--
In System, Set the GK PU type to:
PU type ;  PIEZO R
Scale :  ST
PU phase : NORMAL
PU direction : NORMAL
S1/S2 position : NORMAL
MORM PU gain : 0 dB
PIEZO TONE  LOW  :    0
PIEZO TONE HIGH  :   +6

"DIS"
10.0 mm all strings (does not matter GR-55 ignores this for all Piezo PU selections)

"SEN"
Set the sensitivities for all strings to "50" average (+/-5  - that is all my strings have sensitivity set in the range between 45-55 . Older pre 2011 RMC electronics try setting string sensitivity to zero.

"VEL"
Velocity Dynamics :  2
Play-Feel         :  2 (may vary depending on how you play synth tones)
Low-Velocity Cut  :  8-9

"NUA"
Nuance Dynamics   :  4
Nuance Trim       :  4

"DOW"
Shift   :   0
===============

Read more GR55 Setup docs here

www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18

HANSEL612

Wow !!!!! Thanks a lot Elantric !!!!!  :)

A914Man

UPS delivered my "new" RG1520 yesterday, so I'm resurrecting this thread!  I purchased it via internet from the Guitar Center in Roseville, CA and except for the fingerboard needing a little cleaning, and the frets a little oxidized, this guitar is in excellent shape.  I'm stoked!  I pulled the trigger on this after a little (very little required) encouragement from Elantric, whom I thank again.

The only question I have is regarding the Floyd Rose tremolo.  I'm a little familiar with this kind of tremolo, but the piezo wiring makes it a little more difficult to remove all the strings, as there doesn't seem to be an easy way to block the pull of the springs to keep from pinching the wires to the piezos.

I had hoped to be able to take off all the strings so I could clean the fingerboard and polish the frets.  Anyone have tips, hint, or experience with one of these rare birds?
After only 37 years, I'm almost as good as I thought I was when I was 21