I thought i'd share something that really helped me remove alot of ghost-notes and mistriggering for PCM's from my playing.
i got the idea from a video that was posted on this forum....you might have seen the fella playing bass with the drummer and the DJ ?...it was very cool track! anyway, the bass player had bandanna wrapped around his guitar neck, at the about the 3rd fret.
So i found some rubber type foam material (it was actually from a USB stick display package). I'm not sure what this material is....it;s light as foam, but it feels and has density more like rubber, in that it doesn't have any of the "bubbles / sponge" look about it.
Anyway, i've jammed it right up against the top nut. you can see from the photo, it's a tight fit, and it's almost pushing the strings out of their saddles. there was also some left over material, that i've then jammed in the headstock side of the nut.
i decided against trying to pad near the bridge(which more ussual) as i felt it made more sense to dampen nearer to the source of the mistriggering, and i also thought it would have less dampening on the tone...i don;t know how correct that is....
i also jammed up near the top nut, so i didn;t loose any notes on the neck.
It;s made a really big difference! i'd say i;m probably 95% to achieving no misttriggering in my playing. i;m hoping the other 5% is just my "hard" playing, coming from upright bass habits....?
if you are still having problems with mistriggering,these are the steps i;ve taken so far that have helped me:
- adjust GK pickup setup
- adjust string sensitivities, etc.
- adjust velocity, nuance, play feel settings.
- make similar velocity/nuance settings per patch as required.
- "soften" you playing style.
- add a dampener to your strings.
I imagine the dampener technique would probably make guitar's too "dead" ??...but for Bass, and if you use the COSM alot...it;s worth some loss of open string notes on the mag.
Has anyone else had similar experience with this?
or if anyone has any improvements would be great to hear!