FC-1 controller acts like USB Host to MIDI converter?

Started by Chumly, March 05, 2016, 02:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

Can the Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Controller act like a hardware USB Host to MIDI converter, or is the USB port on the FC-1 Controller propitiatory to the USB receiver only? Please excuse if this has been covered, but I could not confirm a yes / no. The specs indicate it's a class compliant MIDI interface but I wish to make sure it would do the same basic functionality of the Kenton USB MIDI host, iConnectMIDI 4+, Win PC with Roland UM-One MK2, etc.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

QuoteCan the Fishman TriplePlay FC-1 Controller act like a hardware USB Host to MIDI converter,

What are you pursuing exactly? We do know FC-1 will not work for Boss GP-10 USB to MIDI conversion

Chumly

If I  was to get the Guitar Wing, then input to the USB of FC-1 to provide 5 pin DIN MIDI, or use the FC-1 to make the GP-10 5 pin DIN MIDI compatible (I guess not though), and I'm sure the FC-1 would allow me to control my Kong Kronos X (right?).

Basically, any time I might wish to convert MIDI over USB to the 5 pin DIN version, I was hoping the FC-1 might be useable, given it's spec'd as a class compliant MIDI interface.

Very much thanks!
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

The FC-1 does not support USB hubs - so its capable of supporting only one USB device at a time.

the least costly USB to MIDI converter is Raspberry Pi 3B ($35) & USB MIDI cable ($30) - and that RPI with its 4 USB ports DOES support multiple USB devices at once.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11998.0 

Chumly

OK I understand, but in the context of the FC-1's single USB port, is the FC-1 capable of supporting MIDI over USB to its two 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O such that, for example:

a) if I was to connect the Guitar Wing's USB port to the FC-1's USB port would the FC-1 then provide 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O? (I would say yes because the Guitar Wing is USB Class Compliant?).

b) if I was to connect the GP-10's USB port to the FC-1's USB port would the FC-1 then provide 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O? (no, given the GP-10 is not USB Class Compliant?).

c) if I was to connect the Korg Kronos X's 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O to the FC-1's 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O and the Fishman receiver to the FC-1 USB port? (yes, because that's the FC-1's purpose in life?).

Elantric

FC-1 is purposely designed for use with FTP USB receiver - if it works with other MIDI over USB  gear - its a happy accident and still not the most affordable solution.

But my perspective is the original iConnectMIDI Black box that got for $120

Original iConnectMIDI Black ( or iConnectMIDI 4+ box  does support USB hubs to run both FTP USB receiver and GuitarWing USb receiver at same time.

FTP FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8427.msg60216#msg60216
I plugged the Fishman TriplePlay Receiver dongle into the USB Host Port in the Middle of the front of the iConnectMIDI box, and fed a 5pin MIDI cable from the iConnectMIDI box's Rear MIDI Out #1 jack to the MIDI IN jack on my 1994 Casio CTK-750

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Chumly

I understand that the FC-1 is purpose built, if I was to buy the FC-1, that's what I would use it for i.e. controlling my Korg Kronos X without additional hardware / software peripherals.  I was hoping the FC-1 might have been tested with other MIDI over USB gear, such as the Guitar Wing, but I guess no such tests have been done? (at least I could not find any via Google etc.)

It's pretty windy here, so I may lose power, and if so, I wish you good night and as always I'm obliged!

alancarl

Hi Guys,
       I am using the micro USB port on the FC-1 to send MIDI commands from my various devices including my Ios stuff via the CCK and USB cable into the FTP MIDI stream.
It's important to differentiate the function of the two USB ports on the FC-1.

1st. The micro port on the back of the FC-1 is for connecting the FC-1 to a USB class compliant device such as a computer...in my hacking case an Ipad, Ipod touch, and an original IconnectMIDI  like Steve mentioned or 4+.

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

2nd. The larger top USB port is for the FTP receiver and I have not tried to connect anything else there and I don't intend to any time soon!

Here's the thing...Now once a USB host device like the IconnectMIDI stuff mentioned above is connected to the FC-1 and everybody is happy that host device can be used to connect USB class compliant MIDI devices like the Guitar Wing and then route the relevant controller data to wherever you might want to.
Be careful with data on MIDI channel 8 as it is the control channel for the FTP parameters so you might be inadvertently changing this without wanting to!

Also when the FC-1 FTP is connected to a USB host via the back USB port you can't access the FTP presets but in my case I have been using my Ipad and MIDI designer to change and store settings for the FTP FC-1 rig so I have a somewhat limited real time control of the FTP. So far I have been working with the FTP in Poly Mode..so no splits yet!

I know that there is a lot of info to follow here so good luck figuring out what I am trying to describe here.
I know that everybody that contributes here on the forum would also live full lives.
I am fortunately very busy play orchestra gigs and pit shows so l am limited as to how quickly I can explore and contribute:-)
Have fun for sure!
Peace,
AL

Elantric

Alan - Great find!
keep us updated on your progress with this !