Sustain/Hold pedal

Started by JesperB, October 23, 2008, 05:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesperB

Hi.

I've been tweaking the guitar-to-midi settings for a while and found some working settings.

Now I've moved on to getting a sustain/hold pedal to work properly.

I can only get the notes to sustain/hold when I hold in the hold button (currently set to CTR1, since I don't have a FC300 yet). I want it to sustain/hold, when I press the button once. The press again to stop the sustain/hold.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jesper

Brent Flash

Quote from: JesperB on October 23, 2008, 05:21:20 AM
Hi.
I've been tweaking the guitar-to-midi settings for a while and found some working settings.
Now I've moved on to getting a sustain/hold pedal to work properly.
I can only get the notes to sustain/hold when I hold in the hold button (currently set to CTR1, since I don't have a FC300 yet). I want it to sustain/hold, when I press the button once. The press again to stop the sustain/hold.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jesper
Hey Jesper,
First let me say the proper way for sustain to work is to go on when pressed and off when released (for piano players anyway :D)

The only way I can think to do what you want through MIDI is to set up two switches, one to hold and one to release. A while back we had a thread going about this and we could not get any switches to latch on the MIDI side. They will only send CC# values that can be set when pressed (example 127) and another value when release (example 0). The only way I can think to get around this is to have the on switch send only the on value (127) (CC#64) and one switch send only the off value (0)(CC#64).

I know this is not what you want to hear but that is the way it is now with this version of the VG-99. Sorry!

JesperB

Hi Brent Flash and thanks for you reply.

I could dedicate a Red Onion dual switch box to this (they where so cheap, so I bought 4 of them - http://www.redonionsolutions.co.uk/General/DualMom.htm).

Well, with all the weird stuff going of with the midi-to-guitar (this and the sending-out-volume-100-on-preset-changes), I guess I'll have to integrate my Midi Solutions Event Processor in to my setup for now.

Macciza

For holding sustain just get an actual control pedal that can be either latching or momentary and select as needed.
The other option may be to use the ampctl switch and run a lead if using a hardware synth with pedal input.
Alternatively an expression pedal should work as well - push down for hold back for off
cheers
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

mad mike

Quote from: Brent Flash on October 23, 2008, 05:53:58 AM
Hey Jesper,
First let me say the proper way for sustain to work is to go on when pressed and off when released (for piano players anyway :D)

The only way I can think to do what you want through MIDI is to set up two switches, one to hold and one to release. A while back we had a thread going about this and we could not get any switches to latch on the MIDI side. They will only send CC# values that can be set when pressed (example 127) and another value when release (example 0). The only way I can think to get around this is to have the on switch send only the on value (127) (CC#64) and one switch send only the off value (0)(CC#64).

I know this is not what you want to hear but that is the way it is now with this version of the VG-99. Sorry!

i was always told great minds work/think alike... i've been working on my sustain control also.  i use the fc300 control 1 as a momentary switch.  it works only part of the time...

when i let the switch up, sometimes the midi sounds are gone and i have to retap the switch, maybe a couple of times, to get the sounds back. other times, i let the switch up and its fine...

initially i thought it may do that because there were conflicts in the switches duties, i went back and turned off the double duty paramaters, just in case...  still the intermittent thingie...

i do have the expression pedals nailed down though, on one user patch...  seems when i go to another patch, i can't get it to behave the same...

is it better to transfer the controls i have for the patch i have nailed to another slot, then change the guitar/amp parameters? or select the patch it want and try to change the params to fit what i want...

i tried it both ways and can't make it stick...    :(

i keep getting this kind of flaky thing over and over in a lot of different areas of this unit...

i get going what i want to get going, and use the write command to save.  all will be well for a while, then it seems like the unit has a mind of its own and though the settings i've established appear to still be there, they don't work as i intended them to.

i keep saying to myself that I'M NOT A DUMMY!!! but this things driving me nuts!!!   :)

i do have another box on order a us20 or something like that, i forget now, its been a week or so since i ordered it...

its supposed to allow me to use my gr20 and th xg99 simultaneously or separately...  i hope this will take much of the programming out of the mix.

guys, i want to spend my time playing more, not programming so much  :)   but i do so love having equipment that allows me to change anything i want to anyway i want anytime i want, and i'm really having loads of fun with this.  its a challenge my poor tired brain has needed for a long time  :)

i know it doesn't sound like i'm enjoying myself, but i actually am!  its a mental challenge and i've not had one like this in a lot of years!!!  not since i began my ham radio hobby! i had a great bunch of fun with that, i love the study, the challenge of the new equipment and learning to use it... i thrived on the challenge of the 20wpm morse code... when i had acquired all of the license levels i could, i was depressed and really haven't gotten back into it.

i really love this gear!!!  my old line-6 buds are mad at me now  ;)  they feel i betrayed them...  i've been toying with the idea of using the x3l between the xg out and the amplifier's in, to see what i can find thats new and different...

i just don'e want to imitate sounds, i would like to come up with some new ones... make people sit up and wonder WTH was that???   :)

right now though, i would just like to get something nailed down so i can be confident that i have it set the way it want to and know for sure that when i change from song to song and want my sound to change accordingly, that it will do so! so that when i go gigging this Christmas season's parties/dinners, it will be what i expect when i get there...

i'll worry about delving deeper into the workings of this after the first of the year... and by the way, i've decided to take the early retirement the first of the year, and will have LOTS OF TIME to tweak then!!! 

do i need a firmware upgrade?  i haven't checked... i just assumed that since i got this from the usergroup supplier than it was the most up to date... but my ma always says...  yeah, you know it too  :)   sonny, you know what assuming does for you!    heehee... how many times have i heard that!!!

so brent.... i have several different types of pedals lying around here, i'll give them a go and see what i can get going...

thanks!

mad mike

Quote from: JesperB on October 23, 2008, 06:03:18 AM
Hi Brent Flash and thanks for you reply.

I could dedicate a Red Onion dual switch box to this (they where so cheap, so I bought 4 of them - http://www.redonionsolutions.co.uk/General/DualMom.htm).

Well, with all the weird stuff going of with the midi-to-guitar (this and the sending-out-volume-100-on-preset-changes), I guess I'll have to integrate my Midi Solutions Event Processor in to my setup for now.

hey jesperB   hows this working out for you?  i've been beating my head for days now trying to do what you guys said i couldn't do, and you know?  i'm beginning to think you're right  :)

wonder where i can get one of these in the states?  and how much?

i'll search around...

seeya!

Elantric

asg

First post, I'm very much still learning the VG-99.

If anyone still has an issue with this the Boss FS5-L  http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/FS-5L/ works as hold switch as required - press to hold, press to release. I was using it with my GI-20 and now with the VG-99 into a Korg 05R/W. The FS5-L physically latches (you can hear a click) - I think the FC-300 latches electronically. If you don't have an FS5-L try any physically latching switch.

I'm have the FS5-L going into the FC-300 Exp3 jack.

Hope this helps

Regards, Andrew