Yonac ToneStack

Started by Elantric, July 03, 2014, 07:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

Thanks for trying again.  I'll hit up Yonac and report back with whatever answer I might get.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Derek Buddemeyer

Hey guys, I'll be posting and updating my personal tone patches here via this Dropbox link.  Enjoy and ROCK ON! Hopefully this works: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jqzk3ptak7399uq/AAAQ34fckOoqOLyaBh9VeEu4a

Elantric

All Working for me

No need to log into my Dropbox account

- thanks!
FWIW - I uploaded these for you here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11743.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11782.0

As it promotes open discussion and feedback from others

Ringleader

Two things I can't figure out:
1. How to map tap tempo to footswitch including subdivisions.
2. How to set up an expression pedal with toe switch to toggle and control volume and wah.

Anyone figure these out?

supernicd

Map tap tempo to footswitch:  I don't think this exists yet; I'd probably expect to find it under Settings-->MIDI-->MIDI Learn (App Controls) but I do not see it there.  With the normal MIDI learn (Units), the tempo indicator disappears.  Perhaps contact Yonac for a feature request?

Expression pedal with toe switch:  What pedal are you using?  I think many/most of them send different CC # messages for each thing (one for EXP OFF, one for EXP SW, one for EXP ON in Roland-speak), so I'd think you could map EXP SW to bypass switch of a wah, map EXP OFF to volume (there's an out gain you can map to in MIDI App Controls even though there's no volume pedal effect - I'd think this would be the same thing as having a volume pedal last in your chain), and EXP ON to wah pedal amount.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Ringleader

Thanks for the reply! I agree, I don't think tap tempo is in there yet but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Right now I have several Moog EP-3s but am willing to upgrade to a different expression pedal if necessary. Looking at the mission engineering site, I don't see one that does everything you stated. On multi effects units they do that (such as the HD500), but haven't found a standalone expression pedal that does three things - sends toe switch CC for effect on/off AND sends different CCs when the toe switch is engaged/disengaged. Do you know of a standalone expression pedal that does this?

supernicd

The Roland FC-300 would do it (and give you 2 expression pedals with toe switches) but that's not necessarily a low cost option.  At least I think it would - I have not used it to control anything but a VG-99.  A lot of folks here like the Behringer FCB1010 which offers a lot of bang for the buck and I can attest that it's a very sturdy unit.  It doesn't have the toe switch in the pedals, though IIRCC.  I personally am a little lukewarm on having the single volume/wah multi-mode expression pedal.  It is convenient to have one motion turn it on and be ready to rock the pedal but the disadvantage is that you go to 100% volume to turn the wah on, so your patches have to be very well leveled out.  It's good once everything is dialed in perfectly.

Another option might be to pick up a used multi-FX processor (e.g. Boss GT-3,5,8,10 or Line 6 Pod XT, X3L) to use as a controller pedalboard.  You can pick some of these up pretty inexpensively on eBay or at your local big box store, and get a multi-FX processor as a bonus. ;)
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Ringleader

I'm already set on my midi controller. I've custom built one that is perfect for my needs and it isn't going anywhere.  :) I also have the open external switch and exp ports so I really only need the exp pedal.

On most patches in my HD500 I set the volume as an input volume (not post volume) because I use it for gain/volume instead of just volume. Like a volume control on the guitar controlled by feet. I can control it better and I think it sounds better than the guitar volume knob but that may just be me. Also, with TS I'm thinking that a post volume control will also be after reverb/delay tails and when doing a swell you gotta have those intact.

So anyways, doesn't look,like there is a standalone exp pedal that does all of this. And I emailed Yonac to see if he had any suggestions. Will follow up here if I get anything worthwhile.

Jim Williams

here is my first attempt at posting a ToneStack patch. it is not that special I am just trying to post a patch.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

supernicd

I can't find a standalone expression pedal that does this either.  If you wanted to get really crazy, you could possibly have a custom Lemur template running in the background that does something like checks for the expression pedal to reach a value of 127, then sends out the CC to turn the wah on, and then translates the expression pedal CC to one that controls wah rather than volume - same thing to switch it back.

It would get a little nutty and of course you'd have to be careful not to go full toe down until you wanted to switch modes.  Or if you have another toggle switch available that could send a CC, maybe Lemur could detect that and use it to decide which CC to send for the expression pedal as well as turn the effect on and off.  That might actually work better.  Just trying to think outside the box here.  Don't know if you'd want to involve Lemur in your rig.  I think it could be done.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

Quote2. Tone Stack's state saving is only going as far as to load the preset, and if it doesn't exist, it can't load it.

This seems likely.  AudioBus would have to be much more tightly integrated with ToneStack (and other apps), and transfer an indeterminate amount of data, to support all of the parameters embedded in a patch.

mbenigni

I discovered ToneStack's Electric Mistress clone last night and I love it!  More convincing than anything I've used before, including the boutiquey Hartman Flanger I sold a few months back.

Ringleader

@SuperNiCd - that's actually an interesting thought, I already use Midibridge, I wonder if Nic can whip up a stream byter code that would somehow do this. Seems tricky but he's really clever so maybe it's worth a shot. I would get an SP-1 with the toe switch to try and make it even easier. Thanks!

Elantric

Ringleader

Nic was able to provide some code to try but I've run into other issues. My controller uses momentary foot switches but tonestack wants latching. If I set a stomp to one of my switches it only activates for as long as it is held. I know there are workaround for this but what a PITA to have to map all of this!

http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/148/toggle-wah-volume-yonac-tonestack

supernicd

Another possible approach.  If you can live with whatever delay Tone Stack has when switching from preset to preset, you could take advantage of the fact that Tone Stack saves MIDI assignments with the preset.  Have preset A and B be identical except preset A has wah effect off and expression pedal controls volume.  Have preset B be with wah on and expression pedal controls wah.  Then send a program change message from your controller.  Regardless of patch switching delay it will introduce a little bit of tap dancing as opposed to having your wah on be in the toe switch of the expression pedal.  Depending on patch switch delay and how quickly you need to make the transition, could be a workable solution.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Ringleader

Thanks again for the tip but I'm planning on having one entire scene on my midi controller dedicated to toggling effects like a pedalboard mode so I'll need to do the mapping for all those anyways. I assumed TS would account for momentary switches like many other iOS apps but this is not the case.

And regarding the delay, you're right, preset switching in TS isn't very quick and efficient. It lags and was kinda noisy the few times I tried it but I have to do some more experimenting. Switching to TS as my main iOS guitar app seemed like a great idea due to all of the apparent midi control, and the obvious power of the ABY signal chains (running dual cabs is killer), but now I'm discovering its quirks as I try to make the move. I'll get there it will just take some time.

Ringleader

How are you guys opening these patches? When I click on the attachments I get a safari page of garbled muckareedoo. I'm not seeing an "Open in..." Tonestack option or even a way to download the file or anything.

admin

AFAIK - You have to "Sync your iPad to your PC/Mac using iTunes and move the *.tpat patch files over to the Yonac ToneStack Files area in Itunes

Ringleader

Ok thanks. Ouch. I'm too lazy for that.  ;D

supernicd

iTunes sync is not nearly as bad as it used to be.  Used to take like 15 minutes for me, now it takes seconds.

To download without iTunes and a computer:

If you have the GoodReader app, you can use it's built in browser to browse to the patches on this site.  When you click on a patch, use "download" instead of "follow link".  That will store the patch in GoodReader, and you can click on it and open in Tone Stack.

There may be other apps that can do this too, but GoodReader works for me, so I have not explored other options.  GoodReader has a bazillion other uses too.  Worth checking out.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

QuoteTo download without iTunes and a computer:

If you have the GoodReader app, you can use it's built in browser to browse to the patches on this site.  When you click on a patch, use "download" instead of "follow link".  That will store the patch in GoodReader, and you can click on it and open in Tone Stack.

There may be other apps that can do this too, but GoodReader works for me, so I have not explored other options.

THANKS FOR THE TIP!

whippinpost91850

Thanks for the heads up I wasnt sure how to load them

Derek Buddemeyer

Here is a Dropbox link to a couple of my custom patches... On iPhone and iPad, just hold the patch and "open in" ToneStack https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jqzk3ptak7399uq/AAAQ34fckOoqOLyaBh9VeEu4a

Elantric

QuoteOn iPhone and iPad, just hold the patch and "open in" ToneStack

Here at my end  - that is not an option on my iPad