Boss GP-10 Reviews

Started by myksara, June 12, 2014, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

GR 55:  16 inches x 9-5/8 inches x 3-1/8 inches, 7 lbs. 5 oz.
GP-10:  9-15/16 inches x 8-3/16 inches x 2-13/16 inches, 4 lbs. 4 oz.

Not as dramatic a difference as I'd hoped, but:

GR-55:  700mA
GP-10:  350mA

I could probably run the GP-10 for a couple of hours on a PedalTrain Volto.  That is cool.

Bill Ruppert

OMG
The Osc synth is worth twice what I paid for the GP-10.
It's like having a Polymoog run by your guitar.

Two of these linked would be unstoppable!

Elantric

QuoteI don't see an option for the GK pickup controller's toggle switch to go from "up/down patch" to "modeled-pickup-position-selection."

This exists in the SYSTEM Area. Press the SYSTEM KEY  and then press the Right Arrow key until you hit GK S1 Assign, GK S2 Assign.

QuoteOMG

Exactly - and do a simple mod for a GK-13 "pass thru' between the master GP-10 and the "Slave" GP-10 - and use volume pedals to transition from each sound, or a simple internal switch (US-20 clone board) can allow fast A/B/Y select for Rhythm / Lead switching.

These latest Roland COSM models are significantly more detailed in the GP-10  - Its big and with proper setup and technique - no ghost notes even on the fastest played solo runs

Then consider its possible to use GP-10 with a  Mac running BIAS Desktop for your Amp models, and then route back down to GP-10 for final Stereo delay / reverb and output

ADD IT CAN RUN ON BATTERY POWER EASILY

supernicd

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on July 11, 2014, 12:56:28 PM
OMG

Oh man, don't make me go wanting a GP-10.  I had convinced myself I didn't surely need one. :)
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

mbenigni

Quote from: SuperNiCd on July 11, 2014, 01:09:21 PM
Oh man, don't make me go wanting a GP-10.  I had convinced myself I didn't surely need one. :)

We're in the same boat, Joe.  And I think we're sinking.  :D

drbill

Couldn't take it. I ordered one. At the group buy price without the pickup I couldn't resist further.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

mbenigni

Quote from: drbill on July 11, 2014, 01:40:42 PM
Couldn't take it. I ordered one. At the group buy price without the pickup I couldn't resist further.

LOL another one bites the dust.  Seeing that "in stock" label on-screen - and wondering how long it will last - is torturous.

supernicd

Quote from: mbenigni on July 11, 2014, 01:39:18 PM

Well, you know others collect coins, stamps, dolls, and other eccentric items.  Maybe I should just admit to myself that I'm a collector guitars, amps, and MFX processors and forgive myself for it. :)
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

Quote from: SuperNiCd on July 11, 2014, 02:03:37 PM
Well, you know others collect coins, stamps, dolls, and other eccentric items.  Maybe I should just admit to myself that I'm a collector guitars, amps, and MFX processors and forgive myself for it. :)
That sounds like the voice of reason, right there.  I'll tell my wife.  :)

Thing is - I was, and remain, really disappointed about the absence of practical MIDI I/O on this unit, and figured for once I'd be able to vote with my wallet and abstain for a product cycle.  Now I'm beginning to cave.   ::)

supernicd

I'm of a pretty divided mind on that subject.  Part of me wants to use my wallet to vote down several things that I perceive as shortcomings in this unit.  The other part of me wants to send the message to Roland that people are still very interested in the VGuitar line of products and encourage the development of the VG-100.

And of course the other, other part of me just wants to tear into one and see what it can do. ;)
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on July 11, 2014, 01:39:18 PM
Me too! I had so convinced myself I did not need this. And I'm now in thet same boat with you guys. Grrrrrrrr

taupo_axeman

Enjoying this news :)
Be interested to hear how excited new owners of GP-10's now view their GR-55/VG-99's/VG8's...
Keep or eBay?!
https://www.gigbag.app/
Guitars: 1975 Strat, Godin XTSA, Maton Acoustic, Roland GC1
Amp:Tech 21 Trademark 60
P.A.: Mackie SRM 450's, 15 Mackie Active Subs
Floor: Boss GP-10, VG8 EX, VG-88
Studio: Logic Pro, Omnisphere, Korg Triton, Tria Event speakers
www.tasmanhoppers.com/music/

Elantric

My self I'm hanging on to the old stuff - mostly for legacy test for any product development.

But I'll share I just placed my order for my 2nd Boss GP-10  - its that good.

thebrushwithin

QuoteI'm of a pretty divided mind on that subject.  Part of me wants to use my wallet to vote down several things that I perceive as shortcomings in this unit.  The other part of me wants to send the message to Roland that people are still very interested in the VGuitar line of products and encourage the development of the VG-100.

I'm in the same frame of mind, damn it! But, I can't see it as a do it all, live guitar unit, because of no midi, and I sure don't want Roland to get the idea, that no midi is okay!

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: Elantric on July 11, 2014, 04:05:45 PM
My self I'm hanging on to the old stuff - mostly for legacy test for any product development.

But I'll share I just placed my order for my 2nd Boss GP-10  - its that good.

I may order number 2 as we'll by Monday!

Bill Ruppert

I did not see the tuner work with 1/4 in..
Also the power supply is el cheapo.
That said I have many good ones from the VG-99.

This this is easier to get around on than the GR-55.
Might just be that its simpler, but I can fly on it.

Hope the editor comes out soon.

jassy

Sounds interesting all the things that are being said about the new GP10.

Could someone elaborate a bit about how sounds the new Synth? I mean, it sounds like a real synth? (real oscillators, etc) or it has some hybrid sound similar to the other roland attempts (GR55, VG's ...), probably because it is a processing of the actual sound of the guitar and not a real oscillator.

Also the GR300 has been improved? the one in the GR55 is good but not like the original GR300, at least for me does not react the same way. When I play an emulation of the classic sound of Metheny on the GR55 sound is much more dirty and muddy (playing with GK2) so any improvement is very welcome.

Any small sound demo would be amazing.

I hope to resist and wait until the VG100 out, that unit could be wonderful.

Bill Ruppert

It's a real synth with 2 voices and polyphonic.
It is oscillators.
Even has a hold!
Wave forms includes noise.
Tracking is a little more synth like but it sounds like a old Roland Juno//Moog poly synth.
Latency is very, very small.
It's much like have a very clean, very sweet analog poly synth.
Blew my mind over the top.

jassy

WOW it "sounds" very intriguing!

Judging from the description it seems we are in front of something really new by Roland, after so many years of refried of the same COSM algorithms over and over again, very exciting!

Thanks for the info.

Elantric

I did not see the tuner work with 1/4 in..

Here on my unit I have GK Connect set to "AUTO" and with no GK 13 cable connected to GP-10, I plug only one 1/4" cable from my guitar Out to GP-10 Guitar In and Tuner works fine - remember to only play one string at a time!

Enter the Tuner mode by (A) Press both Up/Down patch navigation pedals at once  or (B) Press Once on the Right Arrow key takes you directly to the Tuner ( which I will probably Mod my GP-10 to make the "Right Arrow" key a dedicated Switch) , either method takes you to a working tuner. The GP-10 can work as a small "Live gig rig" with regular guitars just fine. Remember if the "GK Connect" is not set correctly  - then the GP-10 Tuner may not locate the 1/4" Guitar Input jack  signal

QuoteAlso the power supply is el cheap.

The included power supply is the 2014 version of the old Roland PSA Power supply ( just like the ones they used on all the Boss DD3 Digital Delays ) -
Roland was forced to redesign the PSA to a smaller Higher efficiency "Switcher" power supply in 2005 to comply with Wee/RoHS standards and the "wart" in the middle of power cord is an inline noise filter. I must say My GP-10 has the lowest noise floor of any Roland 13 pin product I ever tried, even when connected to my MacBooks USB 3.0 port - I have silence when I'n not playing. Roland hit a home run here, that can only be appreciated by Actually using the GP-10  - and not playing armchair quarterback ( as I've been guilty of a bit ;)

QuoteThat said I have many good [power supplies] from the VG-99.

I suggest avoid using the VG-99's Power adapter - the GP-10 only draws 350mA while VG-99 uses an entirely different type. And for others - NEVER use the GP-10 power adapter for your GR-55 or VG-99 - the little 2014 era PSA Outputs +9VDC @ 500mA. Also FWIW, the Visual Sound
One Spot Power Adapters used for typical pedal boards work just fine for the GP-10 , as well as my Poweradd LiION BAttery pack  - this explains why I ordered a 2nd GP-10 - just in time for Busking season on the streets on battery power.

QuoteThis this is easier to get around on than the GR-55.

Oh Yeah!  Call it a generation thing, but this baby boomer here finds lots of great useable tones in the factory GP-10 Presets -

I advise the 1st day for any new owner to print out Large 11 x 17 versions of this BOSS GP-10 FACTORY SOUND LIST, put it on your wall AND STUDY ALL GP-10 CONTROL ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RIGHT FOR CTL1, CTL2, EXPRESSION PEDAL!

GP-10 Sound List
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/63181372/GP-10_Sound_List_je01_W.pdf
(click to expand)

The chart above verifies the GP-10 has far more "live gig friendly " tools for working guitarists, compared to the stark GR-55 - I dare say I could play all night with one GP-10 - but I want to pursue my US-20 controlling two GP-10's into  looper, add that each GP-10 'S AUX IN can accept One of those Belkin RockStar 5 channel Stereo  passive mixers - so Its very possible to setup a rig where GP-10 #1 is doing Guitar modeling / Alt tuning, feed the GP-10 Left out into my iRig Pro and iPad running BIAS, then feed iPad Headphone put into the AUX IN in GP-10 #2 - Even feed the output of my Triplplay driven Korg MicroStation into the Belkin Rockstar passive mixer  I'l have enough options with that setup ( perhaps a few too many ;)

QuoteMight just be that its simpler, but I can fly on it.

The INSTANT patch change and thoughtful use of CONTROL ASSIGNMENTS help BIG time!

QuoteHope the editor comes out soon.

Well - everything is delayed after they found bugs with the ME-80 Editor - I suspect the GP-10 Boss Tone Studio won't arrive until 12:01 AM Aug 1st 2014.

But I love this GP-10 - the Acoustic Modeling sims to my ears blow away anything else I own, in fact all the GP-10's Guitar Modeling is superb.
With COSM STRATs that actually sound like my real '61 vintage Strat ( and not some damp sponge approximation with DSP forced no sustain,  as on all of my the Line 6 Tyler Variax's) The GP-10 will force me to reassess my tools I'll use this year.

This GP-10 will actually get used at gigs  - instead of my "never leaves home"  Star Trek Shrine , er I mean VG-99 ;) or my collectible Tefunkun Shortwave Radio (er I mean Kemper)     

I fully expect my GP-10 will look like this by 2015 - do to being used at many many gigs.

Rhcole

BILL!

I'm right behind you, should get mine tomorrow! Monday at the latest. I have been screaming on this site that a DUAL OSCILLATOR SYNTH IS A BREAKTHROUGH!
I'm gonna' make an old school patch scratch sheet for scribbling down settings as a PDF. Will load as a reference. I like scribbling on paper sometimes instead of typing in. It's fast and easy.

ONE QUESTION, REALLY IMPORTANT- Does it have DUAL ADSRs for Amp envelopes as well as filters, pulse mods, etc.? Couldn't tell from the manual.

If so, we got us the power of a Prophet 5!

Elantric

QuoteDoes it have DUAL ADSRs for Amp envelopes as well as filters, pulse mods, etc.? Couldn't tell from the manual.

Best I can tell - access to the OSC Synth requires two Boss Tone studio - have not found the magic key press sequence that reveals the OSC Synth controls yet - but after scanning the factory presets my ears tell me we have a more powerful Dual OSC synth inside the Boss Gp-10 than dare I say  - the VG-8EX HRM Synth.

Spider

I coudn't read that  >:( I sold GR-55GK and my GK2 and GK3. I'm crying and looking with sad eyes on my near brand new JTV 59P ... ehhh I'm not crying after GR55 but why I sold GK pups. I'm lame :) I hope that I will have GP-10 next week too:)

sixeight

To get a new toy or not?

Problem with this forum is that a lot of new products a received enthousiastically, but after 6 months when the issues with the product haven't been resolved the tone of the reviews changes.

Then again, I did get the GR55 second hand almost a year ago and never regretted the purchase. I still really enjoy that unit and can get more diverse tones with it than the VG99. To supplement it with the GP10 would be great...

I haven't made up my mind yet. I am waiting for some good sound examples. If someone could do a comparison in tone between the VG99 and the GP10, I'd be most grateful.

Spider

Quote from: sixeight on July 12, 2014, 03:39:01 AM
To get a new toy or not?

Problem with this forum is that a lot of new products a received enthousiastically, but after 6 months when them issues with the product haven't been resolved the tone of the reviews changes.

Then again, I did get the GR55 second hand almost a year ago and never regretted the purchase. I still really enjoy that unit and can get more diverse tones with it than the VG99. To supplement it with the GP10 would be great...

I haven't made up my mind yet. I am waiting for some good sound examples. If someone could do a comparison in tone between the VG99 and the GP10, I'd be most grateful.

Yes and not. I sold GR55 because I bought FTP and JTV. GP-10 would be only addition to it. But at this moment it looks like in GR300/Two OSC synths/compactness winner is GP-10. Finally JTV is for ready and go, FTP for synths like Motif, GP-10 as a bigger pedal for any guitar...