fc-300 controling both vg-99 and GR-55

Started by richfromne2, August 14, 2012, 03:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richfromne2

I've had considerable luck controlling both the vg-99 and gr-55 simultaneously from the FC-300 so I Thought I would share some of that Information.
First some background. When I bought the GR-55 I was thinking it would be the great all in one solution, but alas after spending a great amount of time I came to the conclusion the the electric guitar sounds and effects chain just wasn't cutting it. On the other  hand if you spend a little time tweaking you can get some very good synth sounds. So right now I use the VG-99 for all guitar sounds and the gr-55 for other instruments (sax,flute,organ,piano).

The VG-99 and GR-55 are in one enclosure.

The physical signal chain looks like this.

Guitar => Us-20 => vg-99
                         => Gr-55

FC-300 => RRC connection => Vg-99
            =>Midi Out            => Midi in GR-55

MM1 Momentary FootSwitch => Mode Input FC-300

The general Idea goes something like this.
The FC-300 CC mode I regard as the stompbox mode. Use the MM1 switch to navigate the FC-300 Modes. In this mode you have effectively have 10 footswitches, 2 expression pedals, 2 ctl switches without adding any external footswitches.
Gather unto yourself all the possible midi codes that the FC-300  can output.
It turns out you can have 16 effect and other assignments on the vg-99 and 8 on the GR-55.
Now match up pedal and effect switches to the paramaters you want to control on both devices.

It turns out in stompbox mode (CC.1) the FC-300 sends out the cc codes out of both RRC and Midi out.
Let me clarify. The CC codes are sent to both devices one through the FC300->RRC2->VG-99 Path and the other through the FC300 -> Midi out -> GR55 Control Path. But you are only going to HEAR the effect based on which device is selected on the US-20 .

Anyway I hope this helps.
Regards
   Richard

szilard

Thanks. I have a similar configuration I'm in the process of setting up. I didn't realize you can change the modes to the FC-300 when connected to the VG-99. Does the FC-300 still control the VG-99 the same way or do you need to redo patches to use the CCs?

Robert

Kevin M

I have a similar setup, but run my FC300 in sysex mode to the VG99. I have 3 FS6 switches and alternate the pairs of switches on the them between effects on the 99 and 55.

richfromne2

hi
on the vg-99 you need to also assign the cc's and efects.

regards
  rich

Brent Flash

Quote from: szilard on August 18, 2012, 02:54:14 PM
Thanks. I have a similar configuration I'm in the process of setting up. I didn't realize you can change the modes to the FC-300 when connected to the VG-99. Does the FC-300 still control the VG-99 the same way or do you need to redo patches to use the CCs?

Robert
This thread will give you some help with modes on the FC.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1377.0

GovernorSilver

Glad this thread was started.

I've been pondering the possibility of using the FC-300 to control by the VG-99 and the Elektron Octatrack I just ordered.  I will look into using CC mode for triggering record on, record off, track select, etc. on the Octatrack - via MIDI Out to Octatrack MIDI IN connection, and Standard mode to control the VG-99 (as I've always done) via the RRC connection, with the footswitch to toggle between modes.

Elantric

Please post a short review of the Elektron Octatrack when you can.

Looks like a great device, and maybe the perfect looper!

Elektron Octatrack
http://www.elektron.se/products/octatrack

GovernorSilver

Quote from: richfromne2 on August 14, 2012, 03:43:24 PM

MM1 Momentary FootSwitch => Mode Input FC-300

Google turns up nothing on this MM1.  Did you mean the Boss FS5-U switch instead? 

As for the Octatrack, it requires much more effort to set up for looping than a dedicated looping pedal such as the Line 6 DL-4.  The first time I attempting looping using the Pickup Machines on the Octatrack, the loops were always playing an octave down from what I'd recorded.  I eventually realized I'd left the Octatrack in Demo mode.  The manual is useful, but like all manuals, it leaves out some details like how to get out of Demo mode, lol.  I finally got out by turning it off, inserting the included Compact Flash card, then mounting the default Set.  For good measure, I created a new empty Project under that Set instead of loading a preset Project.

For giggles, I plugged my guitar straight into one of the AB inputs.  The track gain control does work as far as boosting input signal, but it's weak compared to the gain control on a proper preamp.  The Octatrack is clearly designed for line level inputs.  The pickup machine tutorial is simple enough to follow, though I'd wished it mentioned something about not being in demo mode and creating a fresh Project.    Default recording time for a loop is about 15 seconds, though it can be changed with a Compact Flash card plugged in.  Higher capacity Compact Flash cards would obviously allow for dramatically longer loop recording times.  I simply used the panel buttons to record loops, trigger playback, and stop playback.  Next step will be to use the FC-300 in CC mode to control looping functions, but I need to get an FS5-U switch to plug into the Mode jack.

The OS was just updated to add 3 new reverb effects plus bug fixes.  Everyone says the new reverbs sound much better than in previous OS's.  This certainly adds to the already long list of options for processing recorded loops.

That's all I have to report for now. I'm a long way from being able to use the Octatrack with the skill of Anders Bergdahl, but at least I'm taking baby steps.  Here's his Soundcloud page of guitar + Octatrack recordings:  https://soundcloud.com/anders-bergdahl