GR-55 - Every Breath You Take

Started by DF400, December 10, 2012, 10:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DF400

Here's a patch I use every gig for that famous Sting song. I play this song well into the second set (after about 25 songs) so the fretboard aerobics are difficult on my hands at this point if I play if with normal tuning - so I cheat. I modified the tuning of the D string so the arpeggios can be played in a normal 5th position A Major shape, followed by a Fm (2nd fret), then a D barre chord at the fifth and an E barre at the seventh (however, remember to let the D string ring on the barre and not the normal 7th and 9th fret for the D and E chords, respectably). Here is the representation in chords with the modified tuning, however obviously it is played in alternate picking:

A     Fm    D      E
e----x-----x-----x-----x
B----x-----x-----x-----x
G----6-----2----7(9)--9(11)
D----7-----4-----5-----7
A----7-----4-----5-----7
E----5-----2-----x-----x

I have a second patch that is regular tuning with Piano on the high E for the Chorus, which I can also share (although this one is easy). If I have managed to confuse the hell out of you, just change the tuning on the D string back to standard...

mbenigni

This is cool, thank you!  I've been meaning to learn this one and the sheet music I have doesn't have any chord names, which is tough for me.  (My reading skills are limited.)  I'll use your chart to learn this with the altered tuning, and then see if I can break it back out to standard tuning.

I use a similar tuning cheat for "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" - tuning the 6th string up to a G to make the synth bass line G A B C# a little easier (since I'm simultaneously cross-picking the piano part on strings 4-1, which is a stretch depending on the fingering you choose.)