Synth vol control on godins stopped working

Started by brucefulton, August 25, 2014, 04:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucefulton

I have a godin lgxt-sa and an acs-sa, and today, the synth volume control on both no longer fades the synth in and out. The synth is always on regardless of the position of the slider (acs) or pot (lgxt). I have the gr55 cable running to the synth, of course, and also a regular guitar cable running from the guitar to the amp and this has been working up to now to balance synth and guitar. Since I get the same behavior from both guitars, I'm assuming it's either the cable or the gr-55, which I also factory reset today to see if that was the problem. Thoughts?

admin

Check the specific GR-55 Patch you are on when the "Synth Volume stops working, because many GR-55 Patches have the parameter called "GK VOL" reassigned to another non- volume control function

brucefulton

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 25, 2014, 05:30:48 PM
Check the specific GR-55 Patch you are on when the "Synth Volume stops working, because many GR-55 Patches have the parameter called "GK VOL" reassigned to another non- volume control function

I had turned it off in master. Prior to the factory reset, something happened to cause me to lose most of the volume from the synth. Recalibrating the pedal didn't help. The factory reset didn't restore it and in master, I turned gk vol off, which brought back synth volume. Does a factory reset really reset everything and all settings to as shipped, or are there some settings it doesn't change? I just now set gk vol in master to patch vol, which seems to restore function of the guitar slider, but the whole thing is out of balance, and it was working fine this morning, so something glitched it. The last time I did a factory reset, I was back to up and running after setting pickup type and sensitivity as there are only a couple of custom patches I regularly use. What is gk vol set to as a factory default, and does a factory reset actually reset that?

Elantric

With GR-55 FW1.50, I also noticed a Factory Reset did not perform a full System Reset. Rather annoying.
It appears the best method is make System Backups using the GR-55 Librarian of your working system to act as a restore point when things go wonky.

Or use the USB Thumb Drive Backup  / Restore method 

brucefulton

Quote from: Elantric on August 25, 2014, 06:41:55 PM
With GR-55 FW1.50, I also noticed a Factory Reset did not perform a full System Reset. Rather annoying.
It appears the best method is make System Backups using the GR-55 Librarian of your working system to act as a restore point when things go wonky.

Well, OK, disappointing but good to know. I could spend a lot more time than I have trying to chase this down, if I can't get back to square 1. I hadn't really thought much about the full system backup since I just have a few custom patches I can easily dial in. But if I don't really get a system restore, I guess I'll need to look at it. Any thoughts on what parameters might cause a system wide change across all patches affecting output volume?

Elantric

QuoteAny thoughts on what parameters might cause a system wide change across all patches affecting output volume?

All the numerous GR-55 settings in the System area will impact all patches. See GR-55 Owners manual pages 74-80 for all GR-55 System parameters

crazydik

Greetings from a newbie! Don't know if this is precisely on point, but i have a Godin LGXT previously mated to a GR-30. Seemed to work fine but I became intoxicated with the GR-55 ( I am a bit of a gear collector, but more on that later)  . Here's the rub: utilizing the GK cable, I can access the synth patches, but not the guitar! Bit of an issue. I tried switching between the GR-30 and the GR-55, and the GR-30 continued to work with the same cable. The GR-55 is one of the original ones (blue) and I have no idea if the previous owner updated the software, if that might be an option. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!