Can You Control The Expression Pedal On A Different Controller Via MIDI?

Started by vablows, August 16, 2014, 10:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vablows

I searched the forum, but couldn't find the answer to this.

I am currently using the GR-55 as the MIDI controller for my rig with my Kemper, but want to get an FCB1010 to have more flexibility.

I would like to put the GR-55 in my rack and leave it there, while I control everything on the floor live through the FCB.

But I use the expression pedal a lot as a cross fader, is there another way to do this?

Can I use 1 of the expression pedals on the FCB to act as the expression pedal on the GR-55?

Thanks so much if anyone can help!

mbenigni

It always depends on the details (for instance, which voices you're cross-fading, and how you've got your hardware wired up) but you should be able to set the FCB pedal to a CC, then (on the GR55's Assigns page) assign that CC# to two targets: one target to increase volume of one voice, one target to decrease the volume of another.

vablows

That makes total sense, thank you!

But to make it work for me I would really need to use 1 of the expression pedals on the FCB as the expression pedal on the GR-55.

Because with the cross fader, I have many different configurations based on what song is using what, and I would probably have to use multiple CC changes and I would be tap dancing way too much.

Anyone know if this can be done?

Elantric

Map one of the FCB-1010's Expression pedals to transmit 0-127 data on a specific MIDI CC#  - for example MIDI CC#88

then you can use the GR-55's Eight possible Control assignments per patch to build up your desired cross fade functionality, mapping the target FX parameters to MIDI CC#88 

Read GR-55 Control Assignments. for all details
www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10677.0

You can use MIDI CC# control change messages to control functions that would be
difficult to control using the GR-55's own controllers.
In "Assign Settings (Asgn 1-8:)", set "Source" to "CC#1-#31, CC#64-#95" and set
"Target" to specify the parameter that will be controlled.

vablows