GK-13 pin to 5 pin midi adapter cable?

Started by iamdave, March 11, 2014, 01:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamdave

Hello all. I have a Brian Moore guitar with a 13 pin out like the roland pickup uses to a gr55 etc and have used it with a couple gr units. Insead though I would like to be able to go right to a 5 pin midi cable from the 13 and go right into a keyboard or better yet usb interface I have that does midi also and use software which I like much better for sound and flexibility for recording.

I can find conversation all over about 13 pin cables but not 13 to 5 pin midi cables. Any input?

Many thanks,
Dave

admin

This cable does not exist, nor can it be easily built as a DIY adapter.

Despite the rumors - all Roland 13 pin cables used for the "GK-IN" have zero MIDI involved.

You will need a separate unit to perform Guitar to MIDI conversion using a Guitar with 13 pin output and the 13 pin cable to feed the GK13 Input on a GTR-MIDI Processor to deliver 5pin DIN MIDI Out.

Many products perform this function. Some examples

Axon AX100, AX-50

Roland GI-10, GI-20, GR-50, GR30, GR33, GR20, GR-20, VG-99, Boss GP-10

iamdave

Darn! OK, I had the latest GR but I don't think it had a through. I ended up selling it.

Is there a tracking difference with the basic units: Roland GI-10, GI-20, GR-50, GR30, GR33, GR20, GR-20, VG-99, Boss GP-10?

Basically saying could I save money and get an older unit with a midi through so I could go out to my software interface and use Logic / NI plugins and record a midi track? Or does the "quality" of the midi tracking (of what I'm playing) vary a good bit in these units?

Any suggestion given my situation and needs? Not intending on using the sounds of the unit it's self at all.

Many thanks,
Dave

Elantric

QuoteIs there a tracking difference with the basic units: Roland GI-10, GI-20, GR-50, GR30, GR33, GR20, GR-20, VG-99, Boss GP-10?

Yes there are differences
http://www.joness.com/gr300/MIDI_SPEED.htm

- but all Roland Guitar to MIDI units pale in comparison to the superior speed and tracking of the  Fishman Tripleplay

Fishman TriplePlay TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8427.msg60207#msg60207

QuoteDarn! OK, I had the latest GR but I don't think it had a through. I ended up selling it.

None of the Roland Guitar to MIDI Products have a "MIDI Thru". The GI-20, VG-99,  GR-55, and new Boss GP-10 all employ "MIDI over USB"  - to trigger PC/MAc SoftSynths.

The most affordable and acceptable performance Guitar to MIDI system with 5pin MIDI Out to drive external hardware Synth is the 1997 Roland GR-30  - often go for $150 used. 

Details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7741.0

datsunrobbie

I have not tried recording a midi track with it, nor do I have specs on tracking, but my Casio PG-380 guitar has direct midi output vi standard 5-pin DIN connector. Not easy to find, but they are out there. I picked mine up for $100 at Sam Ash a few years back - they had it prominently displayed in the store and basically just wanted it gone :)

Elantric

QuoteI have not tried recording a midi track with it, nor do I have specs on tracking, but my Casio PG-380 guitar has direct midi output vi standard 5-pin DIN connector. Not easy to find, but they are out there. I picked mine up for $100 at Sam Ash a few years back - they had it prominently displayed in the store and basically just wanted it gone :)

I have the Casio MG-510 which offers similar direct 5pin MIDI Out - they are a bit slow, but few ghost notes - very accurate, but due to latency work best to add string swells  - while pianos will sound behind the beat due to 40ms latency on low E string

My Slowest Guitar to MIDI hardware is 1995 Roland GM-70

next is the 1996 Casio MG-510

the 1997 Roland GR-30 is much faster - and usable today  - Robert Frip still employs a GR-30 today.

mbenigni

Quote from: datsunrobbie on March 12, 2014, 09:38:45 AM
I have not tried recording a midi track with it, nor do I have specs on tracking, but my Casio PG-380 guitar has direct midi output vi standard 5-pin DIN connector. Not easy to find, but they are out there. I picked mine up for $100 at Sam Ash a few years back - they had it prominently displayed in the store and basically just wanted it gone :)

Wow that's quite a score!

I have two Parker MIDIFly's, with 5 pin DIN courtesy of onboard MIDIAxe electronics.  But these cost me a whole lot more than $100!  :)

datsunrobbie

Yeah, I'm probably lucky you didn't spot that deal first, it was at the Sam Ash in New Haven, CT. I'd get over there more often, but the Guitar Center in Orange is only a mile away

iamdave

I'm looking at the fishman based on your recommendation though I do have a Brian Moore with a 13 pin pickup installed from the factory.

What I'm after is two things:

Live, to be able to use my ipad playing jamup as I love the sounds and it's convenience and also be able to play midi samples from it live. Problem is I'm using the digital port already on the ipad for jamup's footpedal. So I'm unsure how I'd connect anything else like the fishman.

One thing I wonder is some of the pitch to midi apps that are out. Could I run jamup and also run a pitch to midi app (assuming they're decent and be able to toggle those on and off as needed. Might be tough to handle live. With the fishman I see you can turn on the midi etc. from the guitar.

In the studio just looking to do some sax parts and maybe organ riffs with the guitar.

I play keys decent enough for basic things but not riffs so hot.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Elantric

Live, to be able to use my ipad playing jamup as I love the sounds and it's convenience and also be able to play midi samples from it live. Problem is I'm using the digital port already on the ipad for jamup's footpedal. So I'm unsure how I'd connect anything else like the fishman.

I use this setup below for both Guitar with BIAS/JamupPro and FTP running Ik Sampletank on my iPad Air - very flexible, provides 6 USB Host ports for running several Class Compliant USB  / MIDI devices (FTP, Korg NanoKontrollers, Logidy UM-1 etc) and 24 bit 2in /2out Audio and 5pin MIDI I/O for footcontrollers  - all with Battery power.
Use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 + Fishman Tripleplay with iPad on Battery Power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.0

QuoteProblem is I'm using the digital port already on the ipad for jamup's footpedal.

I assume you mean the Griffin Footpedal?
http://store.griffintechnology.com/stompbox-1

The Positive Grid Jamup BT-4 Footpedal is not shipping yet - and is Bluetooth with a noisy and useless  TRRS 3.5mm "Guitar to headset" jack adapter built-in - 

http://www.positivegrid.com/bt4/

iamdave

Many thanks for your help here. I really appreciate it.

Yea, I have that griffin pedal now. Also have the wireless version though if I use that I have to use the peavey HD interface that goes into that digital port. So either way jamup is taking my digtal port.

So I'm still confused how would I connect a usb even with this focusrite item as I'd imagine it needing to go into the digital port also.

Dave

Elantric

QuoteSo I'm still confused how would I connect a usb even with this focusrite item as I'd imagine it needing to go into the digital port also.

Read whole thread here:
Use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 + Fishman Tripleplay with iPad on Battery Power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.0