GURUS....need help with a solution using FTP & Ableton playing live gigs.

Started by BobbyD, November 20, 2016, 01:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyD

Hello friends.....I have two Godin guitars with built in FTP.   I am trying to start a live solo gig and will be using Ableton for backing tracks, and playing soft synths using different controllers.  I have incredible VSTs (Omnisphere 2, Trillian, Arturia V, Serum, etc) that sound amazing with the FTP, but many of them are not stand so the need to use Ableton.

I can't seem to understand a simple method to switch patches when playing live.  The FC-1 seems like it would be too difficult to use with banks and up/down buttons to access patches.  My memory sucks.

Is it possible to have a foot controller that would allow me to switch patches from different soft synths when using Ableton in a live situation without using a pedal with banks and up/down buttons?   Or are you stuck having to use the stand alone FTP software to be able to control patches in a live gig?

There are so many amazing tones from soft synths, it seems like a daunting task to be able to manage all these patches and quickly switch between them playing live.

Would I have to create a separate track in Ableton for every patch I want to use in a set, add the patch to each individual track, and switch between tracks using a  MIDI foot controller?

So in this situation, would  a foot controller let's say with 12 buttons allow me to switch 12 tracks/patches? .  I could label buttons so no need to remember patch locations.   That's assuming this is even a doable scenario as I am a newbie with Ableton.

Seems simple but I am stuck at this juncture.  At least at home, I can create some amazing tracks using my guitar as a controller. 

I now understand why so many players use the GR-55 because of ease of control.  I am hoping that  someone figured out a way to quickly change patches using a foot pedal and soft synths inside of Ableton.

And help greatly appreciated.

utensil

The FTP is great and has unmatched tracking but the gR-55 still has it's place as a one box all round tool if you can put up with the tracking glitches. just from my own experiences, I gave up on ableton as a host for live use as I found MainStage was much better suited. If you're on a mac then check it out as it's worth the cost (around $40 ) I think and comes with a big library of instruments and effects (though you will probably prefer the ones you have but may find it fills some gaps). Each patch is a completely separate configuration of channels (ala tracks in ableton without a recording timeline).  Midi control is also pretty comprehensive.

Using ableton you would need to setup multiple tracks , so all your vsti are loaded and then activate/deactivate, things start to get complex when you want to shift to different presets within each vsti independently. not that it can't be done but I ultimately found that if it's slightly confusing at home , when I get to a live situation, my brain wouldn't be able to keep up.

doesn't really answer your question but maybe worth a look see.

BobbyD

Thanks for response but I still do not understand the workflow using Ableton.  Are you saying that if I load a patch from Omnisphere on track 1, a different patch from Omnisphere on track 2, a patch from Trillian on track 3, etc.  I can live with 12 MIDI presets if it's as easy as having a 12 button midi controller to just switch between the 12 tracks.  Or have another bank on controller to add another 12 different  patches by using 24 tracks on Ableton each with a different sound. 

Does this sound like a viable way to control patches from the FTP? 

Seems like only a few members use Ableton, VSTs & FTP when playing live because of lack of responses.

Any member using the same gear playing live, please let me know how you setup your workflow. 

Thanks a bunch

lumena

Hey Bobby,
Sorry so slow to respond. (holiday and travel)
Not sure if you are still looking for a solution to this problem or not.
I have been playing with a similar thought and frankly haven't used the ftp software.
I do however use the ftp hardware on my guitar with omnisphere .

After rethinking this I realized you wanted a stompbox mode type of setup. Here is a simple way to do it. Since you are not turning on the instance of omnisphere until you select it the overhead of the system will not be greatly effected. I am attaching an image of the screen and if there is interest I can post an ableton template.

BobbyD

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 22, 2016, 02:31:27 AM
https://forum.ableton.com

The people on this site are much more attentive & professional in my opinion so I preferred to find an Ableton person which I did in the next post. I have been a member of that other forum for years which you didn't know so thanks for giving me that info. Much appreciated.  I just find the quality of pros and the info they provide is much more thorough on certain subjects in this forum as evident by the amazing info Lumena provided. Very few folks use FTP on Ableton site.  I think majority of people write in MIDI instead of playing it.

Plus there is only one Elantric even though there are many amazing people on this site who like to help others.  You know I appreciate you guys because I started the thread about donating money and made the first $20 donation.  I think a year has gone by so I will find that thread, make another small donation and bump it to front of forum with the hopes other members who own $5,000 in gear all donate $5 for the wealth of knowledge this forum provides people.

My question to you is i NEVER get an email notification when a response is posted.  Is that feature missing from this site or did I miss something when initially setting up my profile?  I banged my brain around pretty severely so many times I will miss the obvious.  Thanks buddy,.

BobbyD

Quote from: lumena on January 03, 2017, 07:47:05 PM
Hey Bobby,
Sorry so slow to respond. (holiday and travel)
Not sure if you are still looking for a solution to this problem or not.
I have been playing with a similar thought and frankly haven't used the ftp software.
I do however use the ftp hardware on my guitar with omnisphere .

After rethinking this I realized you wanted a stompbox mode type of setup. Here is a simple way to do it. Since you are not turning on the instance of omnisphere until you select it the overhead of the system will not be greatly effected. I am attaching an image of the screen and if there is interest I can post an ableton template.

My man Lumena.....thanks so much for that detailed answer and screen shot. It's folks like you who make this forum great.  That makes sense and will help me get closer to getting this live rig setup.  I am moving to Austin TX within 3 weeks and I have been studying online with an Ableton certified instructor out of Austin who is waiting for my move and will also help me with this setup.  ZI own two Keith McMillian foot controllers....Soft Step 2 and 12 step and will use one of those floor units to setup something along the lines of what you just showed me. 

And let's keep it real. How freaken cool is it to controlling Omnisphere with the FTP?   Blows me away every time. I also have Trillian and when using those bass patches, I can play like Jaco as I am a pro guitar player and know the same scales bass platers use but have this crazy unique style because of pick and guitar.  I could audition for a band as a bass player using FTP with Trillian.  If you  purchase Trillian, all you need to do is launch Omnisphere because Trillian library shows up inside Omnisphere.  I hope you have a chance to try out the VST.  It's a killer. Thanks again for such a detailed reply. You are giving Elantric a run for his money :)

Elantric

QuotePlus there is only one Elantric even though there are many amazing people on this site who like to help others.  You know I appreciate you guys because I started the thread about donating money and made the first $20 donation.  I think a year has gone by so I will find that thread, make another small donation and bump it to front of forum with the hopes other members who own $5,000 in gear all donate $5 for the wealth of knowledge this forum provides people.

How to Support VGuitarforums
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1751.0

QuoteMy question to you is i NEVER get an email notification when a response is posted.  Is that feature missing from this site or did I miss something when initially setting up my profile?  I banged my brain around pretty severely so many times I will miss the obvious.  Thanks buddy,.

Click "NOTIFY"

and then click "OK" to accept