VG-99 - Slanted flight case for the VG-99?

Started by ddlooping, August 17, 2010, 05:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddlooping

Hi all :)

I was wondering if the VG-99 would fit in this flight case.

Photoshop mockups:

Prefered configuration (tray above front 2 units)

Configuration 2 (if more space is required at the top):

Any feedback would be appreciated. ;)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

ddlooping

Well, I guess I'll soon find out, I've just purchased the flight case featured in the mockups. ;)

A2theT

Well, I used to use an 8U SKB with a slide out shelf but I moved to the Gator GDJ-10X6 which I absolutely love!
This rack comes with a cover and I put my slide out drawer (which has a fuzzy velcro base) in the top section to support my VG-99.  I will post a picture tonight.  The VG doesn't move at all with the velcro.  you could probably do the same.  There was also enough room behind the VG-99 on the shelf to support my wireless unit.  This is a way better setup than the slide-out shelf.  You won't regret it.  I wouldn't use either case "in flight".  My VG would be on my lap during take-off and landing. lol.

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

ddlooping

Thanks for the info, A to the T, I appreciate it. :)

Photos would be great!  ;)

ddlooping

Well, the flight case I thought I had purchased is actually out of stock. :/

Here is another one I might order:
http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=5062-2582

It's also a 2U-6U-4U.

A to the T, i would really appreciate if you could let me know if you think the VG-99 would fit in the top section, the tray being mounted above the front 2 units (as seen in the first mockup). :)

A2theT

It will most likely fit but you need to support the base of the vg in it somehow and it doesnt lend itself to that properly.  You can't really use the VG-99 rackmount bracket either.  let me take detailed pics of mine tonight and show u.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

ddlooping

Quote from: A to the T on August 17, 2010, 01:21:13 PM
It will most likely fit but you need to support the base of the vg in it somehow...
I intend to drill/punch 4 holes in the tray to secure the VG-99 via its mounting holes.  :)

A2theT

Ok, here's some pics.  Note in the top-reverse pic you will see the base of the shelf is covered in a velcro soft-side material.  Its an SKB shelf.  Don't remember the model number though.
It just sits in there tight and doesnt move. Its resting on the top of the power conditioner at the front and the back is resting on the back of the rack on an angle.  Works surprisingly well and theres enough room on either side of the shelf to tuck in 1/4" jacks.  I also included a picture of the underside so you could see what I mean.  Also to note is mine is only the 10x4U version and smaller than the one posted above.  The profile and the hieght angle is perfect for me and accessing all the controls without it falling out of the rack.  Plus you could hang upside down off the velcro its so damn strong....lol  click pics to open for more detailed viewing.
HEAVY on the METAL

ddlooping

Thank you very much for taking the time to post these pics, A to the T, they are very informative. :)
Very cool set-up as well ;)

It does look like the 6 in "2U-6U-4U" might not be enough. :(
I might have to go for 2U-10U-4U

A2theT

I can tell you that looking at the top of my rack I need a full 6U of space to cover the base of the VG-99 plus the cables that stick out the back.  8U would be completely sufficient IMO.
HEAVY on the METAL

ddlooping

Quote from: A to the T on August 17, 2010, 04:36:40 PM
I can tell you that looking at the top of my rack I need a full 6U of space to cover the base of the VG-99 plus the cables that stick out the back.  8U would be completely sufficient IMO.
Just to make sure, are you saying 6U would be deep enough then...
Edit: if all I want to fit at the top is the VG-99 (+ sticking-at-the-back cables)?
I can't find any 2U-8U-4U cases, only 6U or 10U. :/

A2theT

My case is 8U deep (top rack) and 6U high.
The VG only consumes about 5.25U deep and 3U high (tight!).
Funny I thought the top slant of my case was 10U but I counted and I actually have an 8U
So 6U height and depth will work.  I've just never seen any 6U cases.  You klnow, a 6U deep rack would fit perfectly on top of my marshall 4x12 slant with no overhang.....
HEAVY on the METAL

ddlooping

Thanks again, A to the T. :)

This is the case I'm then going to get (they have it in stock, lol).

The mockups I posted were 6U cases, as is the one above. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by "The VG only consumes about ... 6U high", though, as it should only be about 2-and-a-bit units (94 mm - 3-11/16 inches).

A2theT

Ya that case looks great. What I mean by 6U high is thats the amount of space I believe you would need if it were effectively put in a rack drawer for use. I did have it on a shelfin a tight 4U spot but it just wasnt working for me.  Sometimes you need to be able to unplug things in the back.  Like for me I routinely unplug my USB connection or 1/4" jack from my wireless.

1U = 1.75" and the depth of a VG-99 is just under 9". 
a 6U top slant space gives u 10.5" which is the right amount of room for your setup!

If I required a mobile setup I'd def buy that case.
HEAVY on the METAL

ddlooping

Well, I already have the XV-5050, the VG-99 + FC-500 should be with me tomorrow and the case has been shipped today.
We'll soon find out how it all fit. :)
I'll order the tray when I'm able to measure how deep it has to be.
I'll keep you updated. ;)

ddlooping

This is how I'm hoping the VG-99 will fit at in the top 6U...

If all works out as planned I might drill a hole at the front to feed the GK lead through (faint dotted lines on the mockup).

A2theT

ya thats super!  I still see one wirless antenna sticking out the left corner though. lol.

One mod I really want to do but haven't sourced the connectors yet is to make a one foot custome cable that terminates on a 13 pin female receptacle on the front of the rack to ease the guitar connecting process and relieve all stress on the VG-99's input jack if you know what I mean.  I basically wanna plug the cable from the guitar straight into a modified 1U rackmount bracket that could also include my wireless unit.  Hard to find these connectors though............
HEAVY on the METAL

ddlooping

Quote from: A to the T on August 18, 2010, 01:12:19 PM
ya thats super!  I still see one wirless antenna sticking out the left corner though. lol.
Oops  ;D

Quote from: A to the T on August 18, 2010, 01:12:19 PM
One mod I really want to do but haven't sourced the connectors yet is to make a one foot custom cable that terminates on a 13 pin female receptacle on the front of the rack to ease the guitar connecting process and relieve all stress on the VG-99's input jack if you know what I mean.  I basically wanna plug the cable from the guitar straight into a modified 1U rackmount bracket that could also include my wireless unit.  Hard to find these connectors though............
That sounds like a great idea. :)
Please let me know if you do manage to source the connectors. ;)

ddlooping

Until you find the connectors you might wanna use a magic hook.  ;)

ddlooping

I receive the VG-99 + FC-300 and the case. :)

The latter has a broken front cover. :(

The company has a "check the content of the package before you sign for it" and I forgot to tell my neighbor to do it (I wasn't in when it arrived).
I was offered a replacement case (P&P cost) but I can't be bothered and will super-glue the broken bit.

I haven't had time to set it up yet and I still need to find a suitable tray, but I took some pics of the VG-99 in the case.
I'm holding it in there (hence the blurry pics) so it's not exactly how it will be when fixed to the tray but that should give you an idea of what it will be like.
(it will most probably be a bit lower)

I reckon it's going to be quite cool.  8)

A2theT

ya looks great.  too bad aboout the case.  we've all been through this kind of crap regarding shipping.  this is y i cringe anytime i have a guitar shipped.
this is also y i would never use a flight case for flight shipping as they clearly get damaged.  probably cause of the demand for light materials over the years...
HEAVY on the METAL

ddlooping

Quote from: A to the T on August 19, 2010, 02:03:29 PM
... probably cause of the demand for light materials over the years...
More likely cheap material. :/

ddlooping

Here we go. :)

Plenty of space at the back for wiring, adaptors, etc...

A2theT

Stellar Job ddlooping!   But, theres no room for your new AxeFX Ultra  ;)
HEAVY on the METAL

ddlooping

Quote from: A to the T on August 23, 2010, 12:58:18 PM
Stellar Job ddlooping!   But, theres no room for your new AxeFX Ultra  ;)
Thanks. :)

If I ever need and buy an AxeFX Ultra I'll get a 4U-6U-6U flight case. ;)