Roland OCTAPAD SPD-30 Version 2versus Handsonic HPD-20

Started by BobbyD, May 02, 2016, 03:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyD

Hello friends....gettimg close to finishing my live rig for a duet with a female singer who plays keys and understands MIDI & DAWS.   I want to add a pie ce of gear that will allow us to add drum lines live when using a looper. I checked our Roland's site and it seems either one of these products would suite that need without having the need for the space to put up a roland vdrum set.  Any comments as to which you thibnk would be a better fir for a duet when they meed to add drum tracks like without the need to use stored loops.

http://www.roland.com/products/octapad_spd-30

or

http://www.roland.com/products/handsonic_hpd-20
Both products look like they would work but knowing that this will be used by either a guitarist (me) or my song writting partner/keyboard player & singer, I am sure someone on this site is very familiar with both products and can make this an easy and quick decision. 

Thanks

BobbYd

gumbo

Hi BobbyD

I have not used the Handsonic (apart from beating it about a bit in a dealer's showroom long ago)...wasn't my cup of tea, but then in saying that, I come from a 'full acoustic kit' background and tend to probably have some of those motor-skills somewhat built-in (got my first kit when I was 12).

I would think that for anyone who does not come to percussion WITH pre-ordained ideas about the way their body can and does express rhythms, there is a chance that they can make something out of the Handsonic and come up with a result that is both pleasing, effective and (even!)not torturous to their body  ...but it wasn't for me..

I have owned 3 Octapads (2 older models + the SPD30) and for me, they are far more suited to take my inherent playing style and convert it to beating the cr@p out of a tea-tray and achieving something..   ;)

The SPD30 has all sorts of bells-and-whistles in it that make more sense (at least to me!), but it is only actually a drum module in a box with some trigger pads and a looper, after all...it does however, need to have the required plug-in Hi-Hat and Kick-Drum pedals to make it really play like a 'full' kit...  for someone who is used to the layout of an acoustic kit, it can be set up to almost emulate that, but I went a bit further and added extra triggers (mounted on adjacent stands) to give it a better 'feel' and put cymbal triggers in spots that felt comfortable to me..

It was still more compact and usable (for the few times it really has been used in recording sessions) than going out and buying a full electronic kit and finding somewhere to stash all that..   :o

If I have to (sometimes) provide some percussion in a live setting without the need for looping or other sonic gymnastics, I still prefer to dig out my original 1964 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Black Pearl kit and scare the #$@* out of the surrounding populace...MUCH more fun!!!    ;D    ...these days that only happens in one particular musical exercise, and only a couple of times a year, but Hey..it still is fun!

..the rest of the time I'm glued to Jazz Basses, Roland-Ready Strats and things-13-pin...

Bottom line I would think is to see if you can get one to play around with for a while, and see how you feel..

HTH, and thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns..

All the best from Oz,

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

BobbyD

Quote from: gumbo on May 03, 2016, 01:41:58 AM
Hi BobbyD

I have not used the Handsonic (apart from beating it about a bit in a dealer's showroom long ago)...wasn't my cup of tea, but then in saying that, I come from a 'full acoustic kit' background and tend to probably have some of those motor-skills somewhat built-in (got my first kit when I was 12).

I would think that for anyone who does not come to percussion WITH pre-ordained ideas about the way their body can and does express rhythms, there is a chance that they can make something out of the Handsonic and come up with a result that is both pleasing, effective and (even!)not torturous to their body  ...but it wasn't for me..

I have owned 3 Octapads (2 older models + the SPD30) and for me, they are far more suited to take my inherent playing style and convert it to beating the cr@p out of a tea-tray and achieving something..   ;)

The SPD30 has all sorts of bells-and-whistles in it that make more sense (at least to me!), but it is only actually a drum module in a box with some trigger pads and a looper, after all...it does however, need to have the required plug-in Hi-Hat and Kick-Drum pedals to make it really play like a 'full' kit...  for someone who is used to the layout of an acoustic kit, it can be set up to almost emulate that, but I went a bit further and added extra triggers (mounted on adjacent stands) to give it a better 'feel' and put cymbal triggers in spots that felt comfortable to me..

It was still more compact and usable (for the few times it really has been used in recording sessions) than going out and buying a full electronic kit and finding somewhere to stash all that..   :o

If I have to (sometimes) provide some percussion in a live setting without the need for looping or other sonic gymnastics, I still prefer to dig out my original 1964 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Black Pearl kit and scare the #$@* out of the surrounding populace...MUCH more fun!!!    ;D    ...these days that only happens in one particular musical exercise, and only a couple of times a year, but Hey..it still is fun!

..the rest of the time I'm glued to Jazz Basses, Roland-Ready Strats and things-13-pin...

Bottom line I would think is to see if you can get one to play around with for a while, and see how you feel..

HTH, and thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns..

All the best from Oz,

Peter

Hey Peter....I am going for whatever piece of gear is just plain cooler as they both take up the small space requirement for a duet.  Looks like the SPD30 is the winner. I can see the fun having the extra two controllers to get a drum kit like feel. I am going in with no preconceived notions so I am sure either unit would have been a blast but going to follow your lead on this.  Thanks.    I tell you, music is an expensive hobby :)

GovernorSilver

It depends on whether you prefer to play drum parts with sticks or hands.  I had an older model Handsonic and it was strongly advised to refrain from using sticks.  This still seems to be the case with the HPD-20 - the website says "Via the TRIG IN jack, you can connect a wide range of Roland pad types for stick playing".

If I had extra money to burn, I'd get a

Wavedrum Global
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WaveDrmGlbl?adpos=1t1&creative=105744827881&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CMm3j6bfwMwCFUdrfgodTEwA5w

and a Nord Drum 2 w/ drum pad
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordDrum2

- just my personal preferences.  I'm not really big on using samples for drum parts, but I realize my tastes are in the minority.

I'm not really big on using samples for drum parts, but I realize my tastes are in the minority.

gumbo

GovernorSilver makes the point easily...and I was always more used to playing drums with sticks, hence my preferences..
...and don't just use sticks designed for acoustic drumming..there are sticks with differently shaped tips designed for optimal performance on electronic trigger surfaces.. :-\

A lot more information about these types of hardware is available at:

http://www.vdrums.com/

...worth a look before you make hard-and-fast decisions..   ;)

HTH,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

BobbyD

Quote from: GovernorSilver on May 03, 2016, 02:49:46 PM
It depends on whether you prefer to play drum parts with sticks or hands.  I had an older model Handsonic and it was strongly advised to refrain from using sticks.  This still seems to be the case with the HPD-20 - the website says "Via the TRIG IN jack, you can connect a wide range of Roland pad types for stick playing".

I wouldn't know because I am a guitarist.  But I happen to know a lot of drummers who would stop by my duet gigs and I would let them bang away at either unit and I happen to like the feel of getting as close as acoustic you can so sticks would probably be a tad more fun.  I am just wondering how the sounds compare but that's what Youtube is for.

If I had extra money to burn, I'd get a

Wavedrum Global
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WaveDrmGlbl?adpos=1t1&creative=105744827881&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=CMm3j6bfwMwCFUdrfgodTEwA5w

and a Nord Drum 2 w/ drum pad
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordDrum2

- just my personal preferences.  I'm not really big on using samples for drum parts, but I realize my tastes are in the minority.

Never heard of this piece of gear am going to Google in two minutes to check out.   

This gear is going to be used for strictly  laying down basic percussive parts with a looper when playing a duet.  OR quite possibly, it can also be used live if a percussionist feels like getting up and jamming with me and singer. .  Plus it takes up so little space. Going to check out the WaveDrum Global and Nord units now. Thanks for the heads up.

GovernorSilver

I neglected to mention that Clavia recently announced the Nord Drum 3P:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-drum-3p

Advantage over the Nord Drum 2 and Nord Pad combo:  It's a single, integrated unit.

Disadvantages: 

1. Number of trigger inputs cut down to just the kick trigger.  The modular synth crowd is unhappy with that as they like to use CV from their modulars to trigger the Drum and Drum 2. 
2. "Simplified" synth engine reduces sound design possibilities.

At the time of NAMM or Musikmesse, Clavia also announced a Nord Drum 3, which does not come with integrated drum pad but does come with a bunch of trigger inputs - so this is more like the Nord Drum 2.  But this product is now missing from the company website.

Anyway, the new Nord Drum product(s) may soon lead to a price drop in the Nord Drum 2 and accompanying Nord Pad. 

Beirne

Ive got the handsonic (new one with usb loading of custom sounds), 2 wavedrums, and the octapad. AND a TRAPKAT.
The handsonic is hands down the best drum pad IMO. Ive had pro drummers use it (with a roland kick and HH pedal plugged in) and they love it....sticks? we dont need no #$#$#$ sticks.
You can play the handsonic with very light sticks BTW.

the octapad just gathers dust...
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

BobbyD

Quote from: Beirne on May 04, 2016, 12:02:45 PM
Ive got the handsonic (new one with usb loading of custom sounds), 2 wavedrums, and the octapad. AND a TRAPKAT.
The handsonic is hands down the best drum pad IMO. Ive had pro drummers use it (with a roland kick and HH pedal plugged in) and they love it....sticks? we dont need no #$#$#$ sticks.
You can play the handsonic with very light sticks BTW.

the octapad just gathers dust...

Hey Bernie...time has come to buy a drum controller and I keep looking at the handsonics unit as well.  Do you happen to be a drummer or play another instrument and uses these controllers to lay down percussion lines in studio or in a live setup? .    If live, what type of gig are you doing?  Thanks .   

Beirne

I play bass guit keys...all Roland go equipped and yes I use the hand sonic myself for everything. Rehearsals w headphones and small studio 8'' monitors. Sounds great. Gigs are rock clubs/bars. Everything goes direct. We use the house
Acoustic kit but now use the hand sonic w kick pedal and hihat pedal. Light weight equipment rules...and the sound can't get screwed up.
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband

hsuru4u

i use the handsonic 15 and its fun to play with.I considered the 20(had the 10(white one) and sold it cause i liked the 15 better.