Experience with a mini volume pedal? Want one for a looper pedalboard.

Started by mooncaine, August 08, 2016, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

Just got a Ditto X4 and was thinking about how I'd bring it to stage eventually. I figure I'll need a master volume pedal for it. I hate to devote space to it, so I'm thinking about small.

But it's got to be good; that's more important than small.

Do you have experience with a small volume pedal? Maybe they're too new a fad for many of us to have tried them? I dunno.

Stereo would be ideal.

(BTW, I'm disappointed in the Ditto x4 so far, after a few nights of toying with it. It's  difficult to reliably stop or erase a loop. The thing does not respond to any MIDI commands (just MIDI time sync). No MIDI controller support.)

Elantric

vanceg

I second the Hotone Soulpress. I'm using 7 with my VG-99 at this point. 
Sturdy, easy to use.

You can even kinda trick the VG-99 into using the button as a separate on/off switch for things like turning Wah on and Off by setting the Wah on/off to only listen to midi CC values of 0-1 and then set the Wah Range to CC Values 2-127.   Then set the Min Volume knob on the pedal itself such that the lowest value that the pedal sends equates to midi CC value of 2.  When you press the button to the "Off" position the VG-99 sees a "0" and that turns the Wah off, when you click it to the "On" position the VG-99 sees a 127 and turns the Wah ON and sets the wah to it's "full toe" value.  Moving the pedal down to the Heel position changes the MIDI CC value to 2...which doesn't turn the wah off.
Neat lil trick I figured out ;-)

mooncaine

Quote from: mooncaine on August 08, 2016, 08:00:42 PM
Just got a Ditto X4 and was thinking about how I'd bring it to stage eventually.
The Ditto X4 was a waste of time and money. It never properly fulfilled the promises that so many so-called reviewers made about it being controllable via MIDI. I barely used it. After a couple of years sitting in the garage, it just stopped. What a bucket of poop that was.

mooncaine

The Hotone SoulPress, however, has proven quite useful. I've taken it out on only about 20 or 30 nights. I don't gig much.

I use it at home just about every other day. It's been reliable, it's small, and it has nice features for the size, incl. a thoughtful one I discovered just a few days ago:

The tops of the screws for the battery door have knurled edges, kinda like a knob sometimes has, that make it easier to turn if you don't have a tool.

But wait, there's more: the screw has two crossed slots, like a philips head screw, but one slot is wide enough that you can find a coin or other small thing nearby to unscrew it. I needed that. It was there first time I thought of it. That's aces in my book.

It's not the only piece of gear I've seen that design feature on... but it's kinda rare among the gear I've got.

Next time I want an expression pedal, I'm getting another one of these.

thebrushwithin

QuoteNext time I want an expression pedal, I'm getting another one of these.

My mini of choice is the Dunlop DVP4 X mini. Very sturdy, and what I like about it over the Hotone is that all of the in, out, and exp out are all in front of the pedal. I don't like inputs and outputs on the side.

mooncaine

Oooh, that does look more comfortable next to my other pedals....

vanceg

I just spotted this one - I currently use a bunch of the Soul Press pedals, so I havent' checked this one out yet. It does have connection at the back of the pedal

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJQH9PR?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=3CMMT26G2G4YQM386DFR

I'll keep my eyes open at NAMM this year for more mini pedals with connections at the back, which are especially strudy ;-)

admin

Quote from: vanceg on January 11, 2020, 12:47:39 AM
I just spotted this one - I currently use a bunch of the Soul Press pedals, so I havent' checked this one out yet. It does have connection at the back of the pedal

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJQH9PR?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=3CMMT26G2G4YQM386DFR

I'll keep my eyes open at NAMM this year for more mini pedals with connections at the back, which are especially strudy ;-)

MeloAudio EXP-001 Volume Expression Wah Bass Guitar Effects Pedal with Instrument Cable

I own two - they work best with the MeloAudio MIDI Commander

They use a TRS connection, but its the wrong polarity for Roland / Boss.  you must open them , and use a soldering iron to swap the Tip and the Ring connections on the TRS output .

Wiretoy

I have a lot of mini pedals and have tried mini volume and Wah pedals.

I like mini pedals, but I use Wah and volume in a "busier" rhythmic way, and couldn't get the same response and reaction as larger pedals. Especially during a gig after a few tequilas.... it would get rather precarious.

Had a soul press too. But sold it. Too small for my clumsy big feet and remember having a jump in volume or something when activated.

P.S. you can use volume pedals as expression pedals too - using a dual mono to stereo adapter/cable.