GR-55 - JIMMY K'S patches

Started by JKpicker, December 10, 2014, 07:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKpicker

These are 50 or so patches I have developed.  I use them in my classic rock band.  I am not an expert on the GR-55, but I can say, I have spent many hours tweaking for the perfect emulation of the original recordings.  I have played through 1) a clean Line 6 amp  2) and sometimes a plain powered PA speaker, and 3) believe it or not, a small Roland Cube Street EX amp.  I play a Gretsch 6120 junior guitar.

I hope some of you will try them and comment.  I have been disappointed in all the patches I have downloaded, they sound nothing like what I expected.  Maybe the same will happen if you try mine.  I hope not.

Elantric

Jimmy,

Thanks for contributing your GR-55 patches !

JKpicker

Thank for noticing them.  I'd love to hear what an experienced user thinks of mine.

whippinpost91850

Jimmy, Thanks for contributing the patches,I look forward to trying them

JKpicker

I wonder how many of you are like me, wanting to carry less gear, and simplify it all.
Well, you may not believe this, but I have reduced my amp to the 16 lb., AC or battery operated Roland Cube EX.  The new model with 2 8 in. speakers, and 2 tweeters, and 50 watts.

I kid you not, at our last gig, in a very large hotel hall, with huge high ceilings, I had that tiny amp on 30% of volume, clean, a tad of reverb, and the sound guys said they had to take me out of the mains, because my stage volume was dictating the whole setup.  And it does not distort at all.

I am now down to carrying one Gretsch guitar with a GK-3, that little amp, the GR-55, and my fake ZZ Top beard. 

Elantric

QuoteWell, you may not believe this, but I have reduced my amp to the 16 lb., AC or battery operated Roland Cube Street EX.  The new model with 2 8 in. speakers, and 2 tweeters, and 50 watts.

I will have to try one at NAMM

The early reports were not impressive with reports the speakers flub and distort -( like the Roland AC60 / AC33 - also both not recommended for Guitar Synth use)
Roland Cube Street EX
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11600.0;nowap

JKpicker

Well, I hope those reports were anomalies (sp?).   I had a Cube Street (the original, smaller), never used it for a large gig.  Just solo acoustic stuff.

The "EX" I have now, I have used "out" the one time, with great luck, and the volume on maybe 30%, and it blew the room away.  Let's hope it doesn't fry on me or something, because I love the idea of beating the system and doing away with bulky amps, which also do weird things.

Thanks.

Elantric

How does the Cube Street EX  handle the GR-55 Synth patches and bass?

JKpicker

To tell you the truth, I have used it "out" once.  Great results with my band.  It handled all my 61 patches with perfect results.  In that session I set the EQ's for the guitar at Bass=65%, Mid=60%, Treb=40approximately.

I only had the "output" knob on my GR-55 at about 40-45%.....so maybe others who complain about bass distortion are driving things harder.

But....how come my stage volume was big enough to cause them to take me out of the mix?

supernicd

I checked out a good number of your patches Jimmy K - good stuff!  I notice you seem to be going for a song-per-patch type situation where you try to nail the sound of the song exactly.  For the songs that I knew, and knew some of the guitar part or could fake my way through it, I thought they sounded really close to the recording.  I'm assuming any differences were between the amp you created them on and the amp I was playing through, which could be tweaked easily enough.  You've clearly spent a lot of time on these.  Thanks for the contribution!  Well done.

PS - really liked the Revolution patch :)
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

JKpicker

Thanks SuperNicd.....yes, my interest, or maybe obsession, is striving for emulation of the recordings our cover band does.   I still get a kick out of it when I hear the Byrds 12 string, or Harrison's guitar on I Feel Fine,  Billy Gibbons on Lagrange....so I spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to tweak the GR55 to achieve them....sadly, I am pretty ignorant about the real meaning of most of the parameters that can be tweaked, I do strictly trial and error, and usually give up frustrated.  But I have some I do like.

DF400

Thanks for the patches Jimmy. I, too, run a patch (or two) per song in successive order and use the GR-55 exclusively for most gigs. It's very convenient toggling to the next song in the set list using S1/S2 and not having to worry about a pedalboard.

Looking forward to trying your patches -

donlizard

Hi Jimmy,

I have ran your patches through my JC-120, and unfortunately they just don't sound right. Some were very quiet, yet others were distorted.
I also ran them through my board and head phones. I did like that very first Rick 12-string! Good patch!
I guess it's all in what you're running them through. My patches running through your gear might be horrible.
But we can all tweak and get them sounding great.

Thanks,
Don
Godin xTSA
GC1 - Strat
G&L F-100 with GK3
GT-100
GR-55
Roland/Edirol SD-80 Studio Sound Canvas
Roland KC-500 x2 (Running in stereo)
and waaaay too much other stuff.

TayzGpa

Awesome Jimmy! 
Tried your patches through my new Roland Cube 80GX.  Sounds great.
I was wondering if you had a patch to emulate George Harrison's lead in either My Sweet Lord or While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
Great job man.   ;)