GR-55 - Alternative tuning patches

Started by chrissuddes, March 26, 2011, 11:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrissuddes

I've collected some patches from here and produced a few of my own, sorted into a logical sequence in a set of 50. In particular, I'm a paraplegic and have no use for the pedals so most of these patches have pedals turned off and magnetic pickups added to the patch instead . From 5-2 there are a bunch of acoustic patches in various obscure tunings for those wanting to have a try at some Nic Jones or Dougie Maclean. Hope they are some use.

jomo

Thank you so much for these.
I have question, with the open C tuning -dougie Maclean patch- when I play ' caledonia', capo on the fifth fret.  I go to the 2nd chord on the gtr riff - I play the following chord high to low,  020200, the b string note is causing horrendous out of tune overtones, any idea whats causing this ? I have tried the capo on other frets, but it's only the B string that seems to be producing this effect. It's a pity as it's incredibly handy to have this patch for Maclean tunes without having to retune. Any ideas ? suggestions ?
thanks
john

chrissuddes

Do you get the same problem listening through headphones?

jomo

Yes. I have tried to remove and avoid all extraneous noise from my normal tuning,when using this patch but I still get the horrid tones, and warble,  it's only on the B string, regardless off where I put the capo. It sounds like the Godin is determined to include the normal tuned B string in the patch somehow.  I'm using a Godin Muliac SA steel. The dadgad works fine, btw. after a bit of tweaking to suit my system , a Bose L1 II with tonematch mixer. It's all a bit frustrating. alternate tunings at the touch of a button from my Godin was big selling point for me in upgrading from the GR30.
john

Elantric

You might benefit from an RMC OPT-O1 input filter board - which Richard McClish at RMC pickups specifically designed for Piezo pickup users of the Roland GR-55 (Richard is the same gentleman who designed your Multiac Piezo pickups)
The RMC OPT-01 is a 6 channel circuit known as a 4 pole brick wall shelving filter, and is designed to act like a Rumble filter  - to reduce and filter out the extended low frequencies which Piezo pickups reproduce. These low frequencies from Piezo pickups may cause the GR-55 to mistrack, and wreak havoc with Alt tunings. 
When using a piezo guitar, and configuring the GR-55's System settings to change the "GK Type"  to "PIEZO-R" and roll off the low frequency control its a real battle dealing with the handling noise that occurs anytime your hand gets near the bridge     

The OPT-O1 input filter board solves these issues.

The OPT-01 Filter board can be ordered directly from RMC and there are installation instructions and more details on this thread:
More details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.0