triple play internal mounting

Started by musicamex, October 21, 2014, 12:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicamex

Hi amigos,  is there any info or scuttlebutt on a fishman internal kit.  I like the concept, but fear the external kit isnt robust enough for gigs and well, i build high end guitars and just can't warm to the idea of warting it up and telling a customer that was the best current fishman option.  Im not opposed to tearing one apart and adapting new nore robust control interfaces.  Anybody gone there yet?

Thanks, riffin

Elantric

Suggest contact Fishman for current info  / status on availability of internal Tripleplay Kit for Luthiers
http://www.fishman.com/contact

musicamex

Thanks, i did that and await a response.  It would be very interesting to combine one of the triple play pups with a graphtec or rmc build for expanded versatility and capability.  If i still need to connect a cable for guitar out it might as well be a 13 pin for more possibilities and layers.

Headless68

I saw on one of the Fishman Q/A's that there was no current intent to release a kit version (or a bass version) which is a real shame seeing as though they clearly have already developed the kit for OEM installs.

musicamex

I got a reply from fishman saying they only make oem kits for specific guitar manufacturers in large quantities.  Too bad they aren't like graphtech or rmc.  All it would take is a main board with flying lead controls to solder or plug n play like graphtech, to the main board.

That being said, and without one in front of me, how hard would it be to disassemble or disable the controls from the board and replace them with more robust through body controls?  My builds seldom use pickguards or control cavity covers so i go for switches and pots with longer threads.  I'll send a photo of my personal 13 pin guitar to give you an idea of my basic design philosophy.  I'm on my android and cant do that with this post.

Ideally i would like to connect the FTP to the piezo onboard saddles, internally and install the board internally too.  With FTP, 13pin and 1/4 phone out, i think id have a very versatile guitar for live or studio with a big WOW factor for layering and on the fly switching.  I see some of you have been working toward similar goals.  Thanks for all of your input.  This board is a source of allot of ideas and inspiration.  I should spend more time here.

Riffin

Elantric

There are many FTP internal pics which help form on opinion on converting normal FTP to internal 

Electrically the FTP PU has same connector type and pinout as Roland GK-3 hex PU 

musicamex

Thanks for the reply elantric.  You have been there to reply quickly to any of my posts. You patiently helped me update my vg99 firmware a few years back.  I am determined to speak both chinese and rolandese b4 i quit learning.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, a schematic, a few thousand more and something in hand a factor of 10 over that.  I think i need to buy one and see if it is worth it.  Like with the 13 pin stuff, and back to those even fatter huge connector cables, everything evolves and becomes offered in other new smaller formats, often by other suppliers.  The FTP, imho wont be any different.  It is a great concept, but if i have to fess out how to stuff it into an ever growing control cavity, the option 4 to 5 times the price of a production guitar with one onboard will steer all but the most discerning customers toward a production guitar.  So, I'll buy one and see what i can learn.  At the very least it will be fun to play with.  And i will read the mods threads with great interest.  This site is a goldmine.

I see the FTP for 340 ish on line.  Any group buys or best places to buy?  I could also just hold of till NAMM which is my next trip stateside to see if any updates, improvements or oem internal kits come up b4 i order.

Included are a couple of photos of one of my personal synth guitars.  It is the last one i built for myself and reflects my current design philosophy.  If anyone is interested I'll include details.

Thanks, riffin

Elantric

QuoteAny group buys or best places to buy?

Check your Inbox

And very nice looking instruments you build!

musicamex

Thank you for the PM.  Most excellent!

And thanks for the compliment on my axe.  Hang anything on your neck, or sit with it on your lap long enough and you tend to find the good and bad.  One of my favorite parts is hand sanding to 2000 under a palm tree with my favorite tunes playing.  And answering the "what kind of guitar is that" or "how do you sync those canned sound tracks with your band" at a live gig.  It amazes me that as long as this stuff has been around, it gets used very little at gigs, and the wtf factor in the crowd is right at the top of why i have a complex rig.

Here is a photo of me bedside "rack".  It is missing one axon for a memory battery change.  It is the first blue chip but with that great yamaha soundcard.  There is a digitec jam man and a few related pedals under, and some studio monitors above.    All is easily accessible from my bed.  Chill time at its best.  I get too distracted by other stuff/work in my shop/studio to get crazy and gigs are pretty limited from several perspectives.  That's one of the vg99s you helped me to update Elantric.

Elantric

A respectable quantity of sonic exploration sits on the rack !

musicamex

With both of the axons in multi split mode, there are some pleasant surprises.  I find they also trigger the proteus 2000 into doing multiple, often unpredictable things, as i have the midi out from one axon feeding the midi in of the proteus.  And as im sure you know, the vg99 is an almost infinite sound experiment. I can get lost for hours modifying and tweaking a patch.  My latest fun was with ACOUSTIC FUSION patch where i programed the pick dynamics to add the 3 and 5 to the root note of each string as i picked harder.  That led to endless new ideas.   I have also connected other emu and terratec toys to this configuration in my studio, but my aging brain and fingers find what is in the photo plus the old blue chip on my bench for a battery is plenty to handle at one time.  I really enjoy changing patches with pick position and dynamics rather than with pedals.  That is where the axons shine. I have 4.  All of the "virtual guitar" toys are a kick.  Im sure the FTP will be a welcome new dimension.  Thanks amigo.